Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just noticed recently on my Canfield Can Diggle, the 12x135 Maxle, I tighten it just like a QR, and just like a QR, it is supposed to tighten when you flip the lever closed, yes? Mine doesn't... I turn it it until there it is pretty tight, then when I go to close the lever, to give it that last bit of tightness, nothning.

So I have to tighten as tight I can by turning it.

Sound like it's busted? If so, where can one pick up a new Maxle, I've looked, but have had no success....

·
Registered
350 Posts
the wedge might be stuck, try loosening it off, still in the axle mount, then just hit it softly with a piece of wood, if this was the problem it should be able to be tightend up after, putting a bit of tri flow doesnt hurt either.

edit: sorry, just loosen the non lever end and have the lever open.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
MattP. said:
Hey all,

Just noticed recently on my Canfield Can Diggle, the 12x135 Maxle, I tighten it just like a QR, and just like a QR, it is supposed to tighten when you flip the lever closed, yes? Mine doesn't... I turn it it until there it is pretty tight, then when I go to close the lever, to give it that last bit of tightness, nothning.

So I have to tighten as tight I can by turning it.

Sound like it's busted? If so, where can one pick up a new Maxle, I've looked, but have had no success....
I only have a Maxle on my fork, but I assume they work the same.

The original fork-mounted Maxle (vs. the Maxle 360) lever position was not adjustable. You screw the Maxle handle around until it bottoms out (which was at the two o'clock or seven o'clock position on my Pike) and then close the lever. The QR-style adjustment on the other end of the axle adjusts the pressure applied to the lever itself, and not the pressure to the wheel.

If you were to adjust the Maxle as you would a regular QR, you could position the lever anywhere you want, but you wouldn't be getting the pressure between the dropouts to hold the wheel properly (or in my case on the Pike, the wheel had a fraction of left-right slop).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.