Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got a 2009 TALAS 36R
When set to 160mm the fork has no free play that would indicate that the bushings are worn, however, on the 130mm and the 100mm travel setting the fork have enough free play to make clunking noise. I thought it would be the other way around...

Anyone got a reasonable explanation to this?

Thanks

Saar

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
Hey Saar, Have you check'd the tension on the top cap? And made sure the headset is tight? That will make this happen because the lowering of the fork causes a steeper headtube angle which creates leverage where the fork sliders and lowers meet. I would loosen the stem bolts and make sure the headset is set correctly and tight. If that does not solve this problem then the bushings are worn.

As for the bushing wear, well When the fork is fully extended the 160mm travel the sliders and the lowers are at maximum extension. The fork is the thickest taper here as well because the bushings are not the device that limits the fork travel the fork will seem tight and free of play. When compressed though the fork has a longer distance beneath the bushing and this allows the movement, because the bushings are thinner at the bottom and the distance beneath is greater it causes a reverse leverage effect.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i saw it once on a 150 mm 32 talas QR 15

almost new ( 1 month of riding)i replace the bushings which wasn't very helpful.
finally i replace the lowers and all is well. ALL UNDER WORRENTY.

assaf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts