Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the correct forum, but maybe it should be posted in each forum. :eekster:

This is awful!

BLM offers 55,000 acres on Roan Plateau for oil, gas leases
AP
Posted: 2008-06-09 18:12:32
DENVER (AP) - About 55,000 acres on the Roan Plateau will be offered in an August auction of federal oil and gas leases despite calls by Gov. Bill Ritter for more protection for the western Colorado landmark.

Roughly 34,000 of the 55,186 acres up for lease are on top of the plateau, an area considered particularly sensitive by some because of the wildlife habitat, including streams home to genetically pure native cutthroat trout dating to the last ice age.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which will offer the leases in an Aug. 14 auction in Denver, has said that efforts by Sen. Ken Salazar and Reps. Mark Udall and John Salazar to modify the management plan for the Roan Plateau wouldn't stop the agency from offering the leases.

"I am deeply disappointed that the administration is proceeding with its plan to auction off the entire top of the Roan Plateau for oil and gas development despite objections by the state of Colorado," Sen. Salazar said.

The BLM approved a final management plan in March that projects drilling 1,570 wells from 193 sites, or well pads, on the public land on the plateau over 20 years.

That includes 210 wells from 13 pads on top.

A bill by the three Colorado Democrats is similar to a plan by Gov. Bill Ritter that the BLM rejected. They propose that roughly 39,000 acres on the plateau be declared too environmentally sensitive to drill.

That's up from the 36,184 acres recommended by the governor and the 21,034 acres in the federal plan.

The bill includes the state's suggestion to phase in leases on top of the plateau rather than leasing the land all at once.

The Roan Plateau has become a focus as Colorado's natural drilling has increased. The BLM estimates the plateau about 180 miles west of Denver contains 9 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas and could generate between $428 million and $565 million in royalties and lease payments for the state.

Conservationists have questioned the BLM's estimates, saying the amount of gas is likely lower. They also say the Roan provides crucial winter habitat for some of the country's largest elk and mule deer herds and is home to mountain lions, peregrine falcons, bears, rare plants and native cutthroat trout.

Several area communities have opposed drilling on public land on the plateau's top. There is drilling on private land.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I imagine most people in this forum are aware already...we've been hearing about this BS for awhile. Happy the people I helped vote in spoke up for what I believe in, saddened that it didn't make a difference.

That being said, I have a feeling this isn't quite over yet...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Don't know if this is the correct forum, but maybe it should be posted in each forum. :eekster:

This is awful!

BLM offers 55,000 acres on Roan Plateau for oil, gas leases
AP
Posted: 2008-06-09 18:12:32
DENVER (AP) - About 55,000 acres on the Roan Plateau will be offered in an August auction of federal oil and gas leases despite calls by Gov. Bill Ritter for more protection for the western Colorado landmark.

Roughly 34,000 of the 55,186 acres up for lease are on top of the plateau, an area considered particularly sensitive by some because of the wildlife habitat, including streams home to genetically pure native cutthroat trout dating to the last ice age.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which will offer the leases in an Aug. 14 auction in Denver, has said that efforts by Sen. Ken Salazar and Reps. Mark Udall and John Salazar to modify the management plan for the Roan Plateau wouldn't stop the agency from offering the leases.

"I am deeply disappointed that the administration is proceeding with its plan to auction off the entire top of the Roan Plateau for oil and gas development despite objections by the state of Colorado," Sen. Salazar said.

The BLM approved a final management plan in March that projects drilling 1,570 wells from 193 sites, or well pads, on the public land on the plateau over 20 years.

That includes 210 wells from 13 pads on top.

A bill by the three Colorado Democrats is similar to a plan by Gov. Bill Ritter that the BLM rejected. They propose that roughly 39,000 acres on the plateau be declared too environmentally sensitive to drill.

That's up from the 36,184 acres recommended by the governor and the 21,034 acres in the federal plan.

The bill includes the state's suggestion to phase in leases on top of the plateau rather than leasing the land all at once.

The Roan Plateau has become a focus as Colorado's natural drilling has increased. The BLM estimates the plateau about 180 miles west of Denver contains 9 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas and could generate between $428 million and $565 million in royalties and lease payments for the state.

Conservationists have questioned the BLM's estimates, saying the amount of gas is likely lower. They also say the Roan provides crucial winter habitat for some of the country's largest elk and mule deer herds and is home to mountain lions, peregrine falcons, bears, rare plants and native cutthroat trout.

Several area communities have opposed drilling on public land on the plateau's top. There is drilling on private land.
SO, Where are we supposed to get our gas to heat our homes and fuel our power plants?
Maybe the Gas fairy will bring us some. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
wormvine said:
SO, Where are we supposed to get our gas to heat our homes and fuel our power plants?
Maybe the Gas fairy will bring us some. :rolleyes:
Well we definitely can't get it from the wind. There are too many birds at stake and the building of the towers on pristine Wyoming countryside will disrupt the annual tumbleweed migration. Our only option is to finally get access to the Magical Energy Ball that produces unlimited energy with no negative environmental consequences but has been hidden from us by Big Oil.;)

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Thank dog!...

Now we'll have a couple more days worth of fuel, with the only price being the destruction of some more Colorado backcountry, nice job Dub'!:rolleyes:

·
caffeine dependent
186 Posts
daveM said:
Now we'll have a couple more days worth of fuel, with the only price being the destruction of some more Colorado backcountry, nice job Dub'!:rolleyes:
Mind you turn out the lights afore you bed down, y'hear?

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
We just blow'em out...

bstiff said:
Mind you turn out the lights afore you bed down, y'hear?
Got lights powered by the gas from the well in the backyard.

There are appropriate places for oil and gas exploration, and the Roan Plateau is not one of them.

·
caffeine dependent
186 Posts
daveM said:
Welcome to a place where folks value public lands for something other than a barrel of oil or a few board feet of timber...
Or a cheap place to graze quarter-pounders on the hoof?

Maybe they should designate it wilderness, to stop all this abuse. Oh, wait; that would suck, because we couldn't ride there, then.

·
Registered
555 Posts
THey can Drill anywhere they want if it will bing the price of gas down.

Just my opinion. I'll give up a trail or re-route one to get a buck a gallon decrease. This gas situation is getting out of hand.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
toHELLuRIDE said:
THey can Drill anywhere they want if it will bing the price of gas down.

Just my opinion. I'll give up a trail or re-route one to get a buck a gallon decrease. This gas situation is getting out of hand.
You do realize that they are mainly drilling for natural gas on the Roane, which is not crude oil from which gasoline is derived?

You also realize that gas prices have skyrocketed due to international demand and speculators and the amount of additional supply needed to lower gasoline prices is far more than what is located in western Colorado and that, even if there were tons of crude oil in the west, it would take years to get it to market and to build additional refinery capacity?

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
jjonas said:
A couple of years ago there were arguments about stopping oil/gas BLM leasing over in Fruita by the 18 trails...The leases were sold...Anyone seen the outcome? Who's stopped going up to ride those trails because of it?
I'm not an oil and gas expert, but what I remember from law school, lease holders have an initial term (often about 10 years) where they have the lease and the ability to look for oil. If they find oil and start pumping, they lease continues as long as paying quantities are pumped. So, if the leases happened just a few years ago, they may not be being used yet. http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Programs/oilandgas/leasing/CO_leasing_information.html

Article on impacts. http://www.trailcentral.com/dirt/index.php?key=20

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.