Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any ideas for burning, tired arches when using clipless pedals? When I ride a few miles, my arches start aching and I have to unclip to get rid of the pain. I saw a post where some guy custom fitted his cleat to the middle of his foot to alleviate calf muscle pain. Would this help and would it be advisable. I have a dr.scholls insert in my shoe, but the insert is at least 2 years old. I also get this problem walking on loose, rocky and uneven terrain.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What kind of shoes are you wearing? Also, what kind of pedals, see if you can adjust the float (left to right play in the pedal) on them. Or try some time atac pedals or speedplay frogs, or something along those lines with a lot of float in them to alleviate the stiff "locked" feeling you might have.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using shimano sh-mo58 shoes. They look like hiking shoes. My pedals are shimano 540s. I tried times, eggs and mallets. I always fell with the times, eggs and mallets. I just could never get out in a suprise situation. I also had foot pain with those as well.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Hey, you could be suffering from Plantar Faciitis--it's inflamation/ripping of the tendon that runs from your heel to forefoot right in the bottom of your arch. If you're experiencing the slight burning and very sharp pains every once in a while you could be suffering from this. Look it up on the web--however, if it is that, it takes a while to heal, not good for mountain biking... :(

·
Registered
18,611 Posts
Geist262 said:
Anybody have any ideas for burning, tired arches when using clipless pedals? When I ride a few miles, my arches start aching and I have to unclip to get rid of the pain. I saw a post where some guy custom fitted his cleat to the middle of his foot to alleviate calf muscle pain. Would this help and would it be advisable. I have a dr.scholls insert in my shoe, but the insert is at least 2 years old. I also get this problem walking on loose, rocky and uneven terrain.
Try a better arch support than Dr. Scholls before you do anything drastic such as mounting the cleat to the midfoot. As far as over-the-counter arch supprts go, I like DownUnders, then Soles.

http://www.adventuresports.com/shops/veltec/down-und.htm

http://www.yoursole.com/testimonials/hiking.htm

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
feathersprings

yeah for bad achy feet go w/ a custom insert. I made blueprints of the feet, sent them to feathersprings. Received custom metal inserts and have been almost totally painfree for the past 12 years.

Nat said:
Try a better arch support than Dr. Scholls before you do anything drastic, such as mounting the cleat to the midfoot. As far as over-the-counter arch supprts go, I like DownUnders, then Soles.

http://www.adventuresports.com/shops/veltec/down-und.htm

http://www.yoursole.com/testimonials/hiking.htm

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A couple of ideas

Geist262 said:
Definitely look into better arch supports. Your medical insurance may cover custom inserts. Another idea is to get shoes that fit your foot. I have high arches and have problems with finding a shoe that doesn't bind over the instep (the part of the foot on top of the arch). Shimano M038 shoes seem to work for me.

Also, try lacing your shoes as loose as you can have them without your foot slopping around inside.

I find that my feet tend to slide to the front of my shoes during a ride. They will really get jammed in there unless I remember to slide them back.

Walt

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
ickyickyptngzutboing said:
Hey, you could be suffering from Plantar Faciitis--it's inflamation/ripping of the tendon that runs from your heel to forefoot right in the bottom of your arch. If you're experiencing the slight burning and very sharp pains every once in a while you could be suffering from this. Look it up on the web--however, if it is that, it takes a while to heal, not good for mountain biking... :(
BINGO! That kind of pain is related to your musculature. It's likely not equipment related. The thing about clipping into pedals is that generally it doesn't allow you to move your foot in the pattern you're used to. My guess is you walk on the outside of your foot alot? So the pedaling "pattern" is mechanically correct, but this isn't what your body is used to, so you get pain.

You need to find out more information about your feet - and the feet have several muscle attachements that go right back up into the leg: Soleus, Peroneus, Ant. and Post. Tibialis. These (one or two of them anyway) are the muscles that are likely to be the root cause because they can dictate the pattern of your foot. When all of the muscles are at proper tonicity and length, the mechanics of your foot will be perfect.

So, find someone that can asses this for you - Massage Therapist, Physical Therapist or Podiatrist. Your general practitioner may be able to help too. Chiropactors are also getting into evaluation a person's feet because of the structural alignment associated with the pelvis and spine. I'd advise neuromuscular massage as treatment because it allows you to correct your body instead of buying devices that compensate. But that's your choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had some discomfort in my arches but it was due to tension. I was gripping like mad with my toes for some reason. Make a conscious effort to relax your feet and see if that helps.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Try SUPERFEET

The Dr. sholls are not worth the money. I would highly recommmend Superfeet. The insoles cost about $30 but last longer , give better arch support, and can be switched between your everyday shoes and your riding shoes. Good luck.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Geist262 said:
I am using shimano sh-mo58 shoes. They look like hiking shoes. My pedals are shimano 540s. I tried times, eggs and mallets. I always fell with the times, eggs and mallets. I just could never get out in a suprise situation. I also had foot pain with those as well.
Maybe this is a bit too simplistic of an answer but maybe your shoes are too tight. I was having the same problem with my new Sidi's. The arch would get really sore after a while of riding. I thought it was the new shoes either didn't fit well or weren't broken in. It went away when I didn't have the top straps so dang tight. I think it was driving my arch into the shoe.

Hope this helps.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replys and advice guys. I have the cleat as far back as it will go, but was thinking on drilling out some more material. I think I will try the insoles before I do that though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.