Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to build up a fairly light full susser that will be good for both all day rides and maybe even some XC races. I haven't had a "light" bike in years (current rides include and FXR and an M1)

Found an XCE in my size and not sure if it will fit the bill or not.

I'm 6'2", 180 lbs (would like to be 175 or under!) and tend to beat my bikes up pretty well - but would like a light (25 - 27 #'er) to add to my stable.

So what's up with the XCE? Will it fit the bill? Anything wrong with it? Can I put an air shock on it to save weight (bike comes with Romic). Can I use the xr linkages at my weight?

What's the difference between the XCE and the Burner - both suspension wise and weight wise?

I've been searching the Turner forums and it's taking forever to find all this info - so your help is much appreciated!

IRMB

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Getting the XCE or Burner to 25lb range will take some major coin. Burner with the Swinger is 6.1lbs, XCE was a little heavier. Especially if you get it with the 1.75in stroke Vanilla, in which case it is around 7lbs.

XR rockers don't have a weight limit, they simply allow you use the standard 1.5in stroke shock to achieve full 4" of travel, with X rockers and 1.5in stroke, you get 3.6in.

Geometry wise the XCE and Burner are very similar. They are so closely related, you can mix and match the parts off of both.

Check out the Burner setup database for build ideas and weight. Take the claimed weights with a grain of salt, as most of the people claiming 25lbs are dreaming. Essentially, anything with XT hubs or Avid mech brakes, won't hit the mark. You would need some chi chi hubs, Marta SL or Mono Mini brakes, XT or Deus cranks, Float or Reba dual air or R7, light chain, derailleur, shifters, post, saddle, tires, etc.

_MK

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My wifes burner

MK_ said:
Getting the XCE or Burner to 25lb range will take some major coin. Burner with the Swinger is 6.1lbs, XCE was a little heavier. Especially if you get it with the 1.75in stroke Vanilla, in which case it is around 7lbs.

XR rockers don't have a weight limit, they simply allow you use the standard 1.5in stroke shock to achieve full 4" of travel, with X rockers and 1.5in stroke, you get 3.6in.

Geometry wise the XCE and Burner are very similar. They are so closely related, you can mix and match the parts off of both.

Check out the Burner setup database for build ideas and weight. Take the claimed weights with a grain of salt, as most of the people claiming 25lbs are dreaming. Essentially, anything with XT hubs or Avid mech brakes, won't hit the mark. You would need some chi chi hubs, Marta SL or Mono Mini brakes, XT or Deus cranks, Float or Reba dual air or R7, light chain, derailleur, shifters, post, saddle, tires, etc.

_MK
With Marta Disc, really light wheels/tires, Fox Talas fork and mostly XT build comes in at a hair less than 27 pounds. The XCE frame would be ~.5 pounds heavier.

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
xce

I have a XCE with a vanillar rc shock, vanilla r fork, light wheelset, avid juicy disk brakes, XTR components, and a race face crankset. It weighs 29.5 pounds. If you go with an air shock and air forks, you could drop the weight by a couple of pounds.

-JR

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MK_ said:

_MK
Is $550 a decent price for a used XCE?

The build will be the following:

2002 Z1 - 4" travel
CK headset
CK wheels - 28 hole front, 32 rear, DT Revolutions
XTR V Brakes & Levers (yes, v brakes! ;-)
Truvativ Team Stem
Trutemper, Alpha Q Carbon Post
Trutemper Alpha Q Carbon Riser Bars
Race Face Turbine Cranks - square taper! (old school)
whatever lightweight square taper BB I can find (isis and Xtype just aren't working out for me!)
Sram 9.0 ESP grip shift and derrailleurs (old school)
Time ATAC Carbon pedals

Still need a front derr - PM me if you got one!

Thanks! IRMB

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jrv said:
I have a XCE with a vanillar rc shock, vanilla r fork, light wheelset, avid juicy disk brakes, XTR components, and a race face crankset. It weighs 29.5 pounds. If you go with an air shock and air forks, you could drop the weight by a couple of pounds.

-JR
First thing I'm doing is dropping the romic and mounting a FLOAT or a SID rear shock... (bunches left over from my I Drive days)

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
imridingmybike said:

The build will be the following:

2002 Z1 - 4" travel
CK headset
CK wheels - 28 hole front, 32 rear, DT Revolutions
XTR V Brakes & Levers (yes, v brakes! ;-)
Truvativ Team Stem
Trutemper, Alpha Q Carbon Post
Trutemper Alpha Q Carbon Riser Bars
Race Face Turbine Cranks - square taper! (old school)
whatever lightweight square taper BB I can find (isis and Xtype just aren't working out for me!)
Sram 9.0 ESP grip shift and derrailleurs (old school)
Time ATAC Carbon pedals

Still need a front derr - PM me if you got one!

Thanks! IRMB
$550 definatelly is a good price. Don't expect it to be ultra light weight, though, with this build, but it definatelly should be under 29lbs.

_MK

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
imridingmybike said:
$550 for the whole bike you had listed or just the frame? Just the frame, it's not a bad deal as they pretty much go in that range. It won't go any lower as it is worth $600 on Turner trade-in.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roy said:
$550 for the whole bike you had listed or just the frame? Just the frame, it's not a bad deal as they pretty much go in that range. It won't go any lower as it is worth $600 on Turner trade-in.
Just the frame - from another mtbr local BJF.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
a sid?? a sid??????????????? oh gawd man! the horror! step away from the lame damper. just back off slowly and no one gets hurt.

i had a burner that came in at a honest 24.5 lbs and took alot of abuse but no big drops. x fly, avid vees, 3.6 rockers, alps 5 r, full xtr and original race lites. the xce 27lb idea can work but mk is right. yer talkin coin baby! now go buy it. at sub $600 ya cant lose. ride it some then go buy a flux with the trade in money next april.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.