Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
yarrrp
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the plan was to get the bike dialed and race the enduro at Sea Otter. The bike is now dialed but there is a small problem. Well they sold out of the Enduro spots so now my new burner is gonna be in the DH race. Im gonna race this bubba in the CAT2 DH race. Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Its the PRO build from turner with XX1. The bits I changed around are the cockpit. I got the renthal carbon fatbar in 10mm rise an with a renthal 40mm stem.. I was very worried at first going with such a short stem but it is a good fit for hauling butt and I can still climb very well. I threw on the WTB Volt Saddle and some Time MX-8 pedals. It makes for the most positive cockpit feel I have ever had. The tires are MAXXIS Minion DHRII front and rear. So far they are very nice. They don't roll the fastest but there is a very predictable and control-able drift and good braking. The total on the build with pedals is 27.97LBS on a medium frame. So far I have about 200-275 miles of trail on this bike in the last month. One thing that was very first on my order list once I had the bike was the race face protectors for the bottom of the crank arms. I did get a lot of pedal/ crank strikes in the first couple rides on the many rocks here in AZ but now that I have got a better feel for the BB height I get much less now. I have had to change my riding style a bit. I no longer can point and destroy like I did on my 26er single pivot with 160mm of travel. I now finesse the bike much more and am rewarded with being able to preload and pop of many more features in the trail. I tested many bikes before pulling the trigger on this bike. I rode yeti SB 66 and 95 as well as the pivot mach 6. The bottom line is this bike is a really great ride. Its made in the USA by a company that is truly good people. Ill be out at the otter with this rig. Hit me up to bounce around on it and check it out during the otter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
nice ride, what is the dh course like at sea otter? pretty dang light considering the dh tires. ive noticed my burner rides like it has quite a bit more suspension than 140 at least compared to my spot.. absolutely love it. curious how tall you are to be running the short stem and med frame, thx. got any more pics?

·
yarrrp
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice ride, what is the dh course like at sea otter? pretty dang light considering the dh tires. ive noticed my burner rides like it has quite a bit more suspension than 140 at least compared to my spot.. absolutely love it. curious how tall you are to be running the short stem and med frame, thx. got any more pics?
Im 5' 9". I run the stem slammed low which mitigates some of the rise. Ill post up some other pics pretty soon. The dh course is fairly mellow at sea otter. Its got some bigger jumps in the first section but overall its much smoother than what im used to. PLUS I train at 5000 ft asl.

·
yarrrp
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gives us a comparison/details of the ride of the Burner vs SB66 vs Mach 6. What did you like and dislike about each if you could.
well I did a short dirt demo on each bike. The sb66 and 95 had the same notchiness initiating the travel. It reminded me of older vpp. I felt more on top of the bike. The pivot was super smooth it was too easy to I initate travel and the bike was a squish fest that deadened the trail. It would lead to good reviews for descending, but its missing the liveliness that I was looking for. The burner I demoed was a large and it had some fitmient issues but I immediately felt in the bike as opposed to on it and it was much easier to get off the ground and cornered very well. Now that the cockpit is tight I can manual rollers in the trail or boost them. Its fun . I hope that was what you were looking for.

·
Registered
686 Posts
well I did a short dirt demo on each bike. The sb66 and 95 had the same notchiness initiating the travel. It reminded me of older vpp. I felt more on top of the bike. The pivot was super smooth it was too easy to I initate travel and the bike was a squish fest that deadened the trail. It would lead to good reviews for descending, but its missing the liveliness that I was looking for. The burner I demoed was a large and it had some fitmient issues but I immediately felt in the bike as opposed to on it and it was much easier to get off the ground and cornered very well. Now that the cockpit is tight I can manual rollers in the trail or boost them. Its fun . I hope that was what you were looking for.
Thanks. Good Info.

·
yarrrp
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RACE Report:
So this is a bit overdue. I went and got one of the last minute slots for the Sea Otter enduro. Overall the experience was really good. The course was fun and challenging mentally and physically. The turner was the perfect bike for the race. I was running a 32tooth front ring and that turned out to be a bit of a mistake as there was quite a bit of fire road that would have lent to a much much larger ring. The real gap is training. I did a lot of prep over the past 4 months getting ready but that was just barely enough to be able to simply enjoy the course. To be competitive ones ability to pedal must be very very high. This is the remaining gap that I will be working very hard to close over the course of my training. The bike will get another chance next year and hopefully we will come out a little higher than we did this year. I also took this thing up to UCSC in Santa Cruz. If you are familiar with that area then you will understand when I say I took this bike down Z's trail and Airshow. The bike was awesome on the big hits and the uber steep rutted amazingness out there and I smoked a bunch of locals on the climb up taboot.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
nice pic!
I'm thinking of buying this bike too. I was at the otter, rode the enduro on my heckler, and did OK for having similiar issues as you. bike fitness this time of year for a tahoe guy was tough, and the enduro was very pedally, but I was just over 29min for all the timed segments. i was running my ghetto 1x10 w/ a 30 though, so wishing for a 32.
2 things holding me back are longer stays, and weight. it sounds like you got the weight down, and the longer rear end doesn't bug you in manuals/jumping?
cheers,
Holiday

·
yarrrp
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sustained manuals are difficult with my low front end set up. I can manual trail features like little rollers all day long. Jumping this thing is quite nice. I barely adjusted my rebound for the bigger jumps and just pulled up. Its almost too smooth on jumps. I feel like im cheating a bit. I can ride wheelies on this thing quite well too. Weight is mostly in how you spec this thing. I would even be ok adding some weight for a heavier rear shock and front fork for burlier riding. It pedals like a champ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.