Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the Burner is not a freeride bike but I enjoy this type of trail. One of the trails I ride has a 6-7 foot drop that my 5 spot (Fox 160mm, 36 talus and Fox RL) had no trouble with. I have tried it twice with the Burner both times without success. I have adjusted the FOX Float CTD Evolution Kashima shocks air pressure and rebound but it just doesn't seem to like drops like this. I tried 2 other similar drops on a different trail and it was ugly riding to say the least. Do you think this shock is capable of this type of drop or should I just get a coil CCDB or the like?

As long as the wheels are planted on the ground, or very close to it, it rides amazingly. I really love everything else about it (well I am not that fond of the FOX 34 Float FIT CTD Kashima but that may be for another discussion)

I would just buy an RFX if Turner can ever get it up and going but this is what I have now.

Any advise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes all the way. First time an audible thunk. Second time full travel no thunk. It just does not feel plush at all on this type of riding. It is pretty good on rocky, difficult terrain, just not the drops. I can crank up the air pressure to accommodate the 1% of the riding I do but being harsh on the other 99% just is not a trade I am willing to do. The shock on the 5 spot was able to do both simultaneously. I've been told Fox recommends 30 psi less than rider weight. I am about 200 lbs on the bike so I have it at 180 psi. I've played around with it up to 240 psi but that is way to harsh for most riding conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Sounds like you could benefit from a shock tune that would provide more of a ramp towards the end of the stroke. I've owned a Burner and the Fox is pretty linear on it. It doesn't take much to get full travel which is nice 99% of the time like you said. Maybe send it to PUSH?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,507 Posts
^^^ I'd start there, then move on to Push or Cane Creek, whichever your budget allows.

I don't do that kind of riding anymore, but "back in the day" (gag), I swapped in a CCDB on my RFX, and wow, you definitely get what you pay for!

Also, to further exhaust your toy budget, keep an eye open for the new 2015 Fox 36 forks with the beloved RC2 damper cartridge.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
35,665 Posts
I'd do it in the "T" setting, the "D" setting is just pathetic in terms of low speed compression, and that's what you need for drops/jumps. If you are on a budget, send it to Avalanche or Push. This is a damping issue IME, not a volume issue. Making it overly-progressive for low-speed stuff will result in harshness for high-speed stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
more creative riding warrants a bit burlier shock than the ctd imho. My brothers and my 5 spot are both nearly identical with my ccdba being the main difference, his having a stock none kashima rp2 shock, yet bombing downhill the CCDBA is just miles and miles better - just so much more controlled and more tunable. My setup is with a fairly firm fork with more supple rear end - works well for me. If not the CCDBA i would suggest a Bos Kirk, or the budget version, RS somethingwithpiggybackwhosenameicannotremember.

happy trails
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
OP, make sure to get the right spacer kit for CTD evo, they are different from the RP23 kit (someone posted a link earlier in the thread that is for the RP23 I think). The CTD kit has 5 spacers, RP3 kit has 3 spacers and different shaft sizes so not interchangeable.

I just had the Avalanche SSD mod done on my CTD (for my '11 5 spot). Only one ride so don't have it dialed yet. Avy said it has a .8 cu. in. spacer in it (stock from Turner) and I should run the .6 . I don't huck much, surely not 6-7 feet drops and I'm around 185 lbs. with gear. But if your shock is like mine (stock from Turner) you may have the .8 and there's only one larger one in the kit (.92 cu in). Definitely worth a try for the $ though. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,507 Posts
The spacer installation/removal is so easy on the CTD shock, I can do it without even removing the shock from my Czar.

Most likely not a complete solution to your HTFU dilemma, but a start, and really cheap, easy, and quick.
 

·
yarrrp
Joined
·
178 Posts
The spacer installation/removal is so easy on the CTD shock, I can do it without even removing the shock from my Czar.

Most likely not a complete solution to your HTFU dilemma, but a start, and really cheap, easy, and quick.
This post is invalid withiut footage or at least pics. Ive ridden qiute large jumps with no issues. Maybe just stop hucking to flat.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top