Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gurus,

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an '04 Burner frame, but I am at loss on what size to buy. I'm 6'3' 193 lbs and do mainly XC riding and racing. I currently ride a 21'' Specialized hardtail, which is admittedly a little small for me. My main concern is hauling ass over XC terrain while still being somewhat "snappy" on techical uphills and tight singletrack. Advice? Thanks!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Tell us the length of your current bike's top tube (measured horizontally from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube/seat post) and how long of a stem you are currently on. Also, what is your inseam measurement, and general proportions (arms like an ape, etc)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Measurements

tscheezy said:
Tell us the length of your current bike's top tube (measured horizontally from the center of the head tube to the center of the seat tube/seat post) and how long of a stem you are currently on. Also, what is your inseam measurement, and general proportions (arms like an ape, etc)?
Current bike's top tube = 23.5"
Inseam = 32 (at least that's what size my pants are)
Stem = Race Face Deus, dunno what size - will check

I'm tall and thin, long arms and torso...

Hope this helps

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Go get your "bike" inseam here.

Here are the Burner's specs:

A large would be 0.4" longer than your current bike. You would likely be better off on the XL based on the numbers, but that would be a huge jump in tt length and perhaps a little weird. Once we know your current stem length we can figure out overall saddle to h-bar length.

The large would still be "snappy", the XL would be pretty long in wheelbase and slower handling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inseam and stem length

tscheezy said:
Go get your "bike" inseam here.

Here are the Burner's specs:

A large would be 0.4" longer than your current bike. You would likely be better off on the XL based on the numbers, but that would be a huge jump in tt length and perhaps a little weird. Once we know your current stem length we can figure out overall saddle to h-bar length.

The large would still be "snappy", the XL would be pretty long in wheelbase and slower handling.
My "bike" inseam is 34" and my current stem length is 100mm w/ 15 degree rise. Thanks for your help!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Well, you are already on a pretty short stem, especially considering that you are on such a tiny frame right now. This in mind, it would seem that the XL Burner would be a HUUUGE jump in length, perhaps more than you would want, especially since you could get a large and go with a little longer stem if needed.

Where are you located? Maybe we can ask around on the board here and see if anyone lives near you who would let you try out their Burner or XCE in a size large so you could get a feel for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
San Diego

tscheezy said:
Well, you are already on a pretty short stem, especially considering that you are on such a tiny frame right now. This in mind, it would seem that the XL Burner would be a HUUUGE jump in length, perhaps more than you would want, especially since you could get a large and go with a little longer stem if needed.

Where are you located? Maybe we can ask around on the board here and see if anyone lives near you who would let you try out their Burner or XCE in a size large so you could get a feel for it.
I'm in the San Diego area, Carlsbad to be specific. After looking at the specs, it seems like a size large Burner is bigger than my existing set-up. Concur? With that in mind, would you recommend just going with a large?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
In general, yes, it seems that the large Burner is a touch longer than your stumpy, but Turner's steepish seat tube angle can affect how this is perceived. Some people like to run a setback post due to this (I don't). Being in So Cal there must be piles of places which have Turners laying around. Is there a SuperGo nearby anywhere? Maybe go to the Turner website and look for dealers in your area, or maybe someone here will pipe up and offer you a test ride on theirs. Start a new thread and name it "Paging San Diego area Burner/XCE owners...".

At this point I think the Large is the way to go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going with the large

tscheezy said:
In general, yes, it seems that the large Burner is a touch longer than your stumpy, but Turner's steepish seat tube angle can affect how this is perceived. Some people like to run a setback post due to this (I don't). Being in So Cal there must be piles of places which have Turners laying around. Is there a SuperGo nearby anywhere? Maybe go to the Turner website and look for dealers in your area, or maybe someone here will pipe up and offer you a test ride on theirs. Start a new thread and name it "Paging San Diego area Burner/XCE owners...".

At this point I think the Large is the way to go.
Yep, I went to the local SuperGo but they had none built up. Also tried some other dealers to no avail. At this point, I'm going on pure dimensions. Seeing as the large size Burner specs out bigger than my hardtail, I'm going with the large. Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great thread, now I'm leaning towards the XL

fullsuspfuture said:
I also wouldn't go for a massive change, but slowly in the right direction - especially if you like your current bike sizing. If you feel your current bike is too small, then that is another story...

For more info and, plus photos of an XCE L, and Burner XL setup for someone 6'3" - see this thread:
other L or XL thread
Thanks for the link, good reading. Now I'm leaning towards the XL. Spoke with two different people at Turner and they BOTH advised me to go with the XL. So...I've still got some more thinking to do.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Xl...

Though it would be a big jump from your current set up I'd definitely say to go wtih the XL. Dave knows what he's doing and the geometry and handling "tweaked" and if his numbers say go with an XL, trust him and go with the XL. I was deciding b/t a lg and xl. I like longer tts but trusted Dave's numbers and went with the large as recomended by his chart and the bike's handling is spot on.

Mike

·
Registered
668 Posts
Dirt Pilot said:
Thanks for the link, good reading. Now I'm leaning towards the XL. Spoke with two different people at Turner and they BOTH advised me to go with the XL. So...I've still got some more thinking to do.
I'm 6'2" and ride a L Burner with a 130x8 stem - and it feels right for me. But if I were any taller, I'd be on an XL...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.