A bike for Mountain_Smith?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: Burner / El Salty / Racer-X / Maverick / ??? :confused:

Gurus--

Looking to jump head first into a full suspension XC bike. I'm mostly a wheels to the ground kinda guy, but don't mind getting more aggressive at times or the occasional downhill, and I love an epic ride. Price is not really a hindrance, and I plan on building the bike out as my 'dream bike.' Gotta be a strong bike, I am tilting the scales at 240 lbs / 6' 3". My favorite bike that I ride more than most is a fully rigid Trek 990.

Let's hear your argument for any of the above bikes, or another frame that I am over looking.

Also, anyone have any opinions on Wrench Science or SuperGo? I would love to go all the way with my LBS (SF Bay Area,) but the Burner at $950 is tough to ignore!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mountain_Smith said:
:confused: Burner / El Salty / Racer-X / Maverick / ??? :confused:

Gurus--

Looking to jump head first into a full suspension XC bike. I'm mostly a wheels to the ground kinda guy, but don't mind getting more aggressive at times or the occasional downhill, and I love an epic ride. Price is not really a hindrance, and I plan on building the bike out as my 'dream bike.' Gotta be a strong bike, I am tilting the scales at 240 lbs / 6' 3". My favorite bike that I ride more than most is a fully rigid Trek 990.

Let's hear your argument for any of the above bikes, or another frame that I am over looking.

Also, anyone have any opinions on Wrench Science or SuperGo? I would love to go all the way with my LBS (SF Bay Area,) but the Burner at $950 is tough to ignore!
Wrench Science and Supergo aren't even in the same league. Also Wrench Science is in the East Bay. So you can drive over to the store and still support them locally.

·
Registered
445 Posts
hammerhead

a 2nd for the hammerhead, after a LOT of research i have settled on the hammerhead. (although the new c-dale prophet is interesting)

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just built up a Burner about a month ago. I've had a chance to do about 15 rides or so. I too am big (6'3" 220 lbs) and like to go on epic rides and mainly stay on the ground. Nothing more than a 2.5 foot drop for me. I can't say enough about this bike. Its really well built, the welds are beautiful and the stays are beefy and square. Its a very stiff frame for a full suspension bike. The suspension is fully active and makes a huge difference when braking around turns or on a fast, steep downhill. I can't feel any brake jack. The bike descends like a champ and climbs really well ( I have a fork with EFT that lowers the front end for climing). Its far better than my old dual suspension bike (my first). I went on a four hour technical ride with seriously steep and rocky downhill sections and a rocky/steep climbs. The bike was awesome and just floated over, through and around everything. Point it and go. At the end of the ride I felt great, like I could have ridden another four hours if I had the food and water to do it. Besides, $950 for a quality frame? You can't beat it and the SPV shock works as advertised. My vote is for the Burner and buy a stiff fork like the Marzocchi Marathon S. Check out the turner board for more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What size Burner?

Caveman Lawyer said:
I just built up a Burner about a month ago. I've had a chance to do about 15 rides or so. I too am big (6'3" 220 lbs) and like to go on epic rides and mainly stay on the ground. Nothing more than a 2.5 foot drop for me. I can't say enough about this bike. Its really well built, the welds are beautiful and the stays are beefy and square. Its a very stiff frame for a full suspension bike. The suspension is fully active and makes a huge difference when braking around turns or on a fast, steep downhill. I can't feel any brake jack. The bike descends like a champ and climbs really well ( I have a fork with EFT that lowers the front end for climing). Its far better than my old dual suspension bike (my first). I went on a four hour technical ride with seriously steep and rocky downhill sections and a rocky/steep climbs. The bike was awesome and just floated over, through and around everything. Point it and go. At the end of the ride I felt great, like I could have ridden another four hours if I had the food and water to do it. Besides, $950 for a quality frame? You can't beat it and the SPV shock works as advertised. My vote is for the Burner and buy a stiff fork like the Marzocchi Marathon S. Check out the turner board for more.
I am about to pull the trigger on a Burner but am stuggling with frame size. I'm 6'3" 190lbs. Should I go with the XL?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the XL. I am told that the bike looks to fit me perfectly. Sometimes I wonder whether the L would have been a better fit. Before I bought the bike, I pulled up the specs (www.turnerbikes.com) and compared them to my old bike. I always felt like my old bike was little too big for me. The Burner XL had a 1" shorter top tube than my previous bike, so I figured it was the one. So far, I have been happy with the XL. It climbs well, especially with the EFT fork. And it is very stable on the descents. I don't know if a L frame would climb better. I would email the guys at Turner and ask for their help. They have great customer service. There is another thread on the Turner Forum that discusses Burner frame sizing issues.

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The anticipation!

Thanks for the feedback. After doing a lot of lurking, and asking around, I have decided to go with an XL Burner. From what I can see, Turner is a first class company and everyone who rides a Turner loves it. I just had to be a part of this club! I could tell I made the right choice yesterday when I called Turner directly to order a grease gun and a pint glass. The guy on the phone was as excited as me about my new frame!

I ordered a black XL Burner from the SuperGo website (how can you ignore that price!?!) and I will be taking it to Wrench Science to be fully built out in XTR and other good stuff. I can't wait to get the frame, and it is killing me that all my weekends are booked up for the next couple of months :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.