Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

641 - 660 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nice!! What size tyre on the back, on what rim? Could you still run it if you were using 2x or 3x?
Thanks!

The rear tire is 2.8". Fits great with equal clearance on the sides and top. But with my current setup, the chain rubs lightly against the tire lightly when it's on the largest cog. If you were to go 2x, you'd be limited to a subset of the smaller cogs while in the granny gear.

Though I do remember reading that the m8000 1x crankset has a slightly different chain line than other 1x cranks. Perhaps using a different crank for a 2x setup would yield better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great, thanks!

Thanks!

The rear tire is 2.8". Fits great with equal clearance on the sides and top. But with my current setup, the chain rubs lightly against the tire lightly when it's on the largest cog. If you were to go 2x, you'd be limited to a subset of the smaller cogs while in the granny gear.

Though I do remember reading that the m8000 1x crankset has a slightly different chain line than other 1x cranks. Perhaps using a different crank for a 2x setup would yield better results.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #648
Still loving my as well since I started this thread 4 1/2 years ago...eeek. Almost picked another frame up listed "as new" a couple of weeks ago for my wife to replace her dw-Flux v3. But I was too slow and it sold :(

·
Registered
738 Posts
Still loving my as well since I started this thread 4 1/2 years ago...eeek. Almost picked another frame up listed "as new" a couple of weeks ago for my wife to replace her dw-Flux v3. But I was too slow and it sold :(
SPAM alert, but I've got a 2014 size L with CK wheels, Push-ed Monarch, etc. that is now redundant. Good size scratch on downtube (car rack mishap) and about time for new bushings. PM me if interested.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #650
My Burner is still going strong after 5 1/2 years and I just got my wife onto one too after swapping her raw Flux to an anno black v3 Burner.

She had her first ride today and already loves it more than her Flux (which she liked a lot too).

Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turner Burner 20th Anniversary Polished June 2018
Fox Talas Factory 150/120 Fork
Cane Creek Double Barrel Rear Shock
Easton Haven Carbon Wheels
Shimano XT Components
Race Face Ride Cranks
Fox Transfer Post
Thompson All Mountain Carbon Bar
Easton Haven Stem

Attachments

·
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
Wife on ride #3 somewhere around 13,000ft on todays ride.
20180704_105243_resized.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to see this thread still getting some action. I just picked up a second hand XL Burner v3.1 frame. I'm thrilled to be building this up as my first full-suspension bike. I started on a fatbike, progressed to a hardtail plus bike, then a hardtail 29er, most recently an all-mountain 27.5 hardtail and now the Burner. I've been reasearching frames for months. With a logic perhaps unique to me, I really wanted a 140mm travel bike with modern geometry (but on the less-progressive end of the spectrum), made from aluminum (just not ready for the investment in carbon), and 142 rear spacing with clearance for decent width tires (have too many good parts in the non-Boost standard). There's a handful of bikes that fit this criteria, but only the Burner brings the made in the USA ethos and commitment to good pedaling that I want to prioritize. Here's my upcoming build spec, photos to come.

Burner v3.1, XL, black
Cane Creek DBAir
MRP Stage 150mm
Stan's Flow Mk3 w/ Bitex hubs
Minion DHF 2.5WT (front)
Rekon 2.5 (rear)
XT/Zee 1x10 drivetrain, 28t w/ 11-36
XT hydraulic disc brakes
Deity Copperhead 35mm stem
Crank Brothers Iodine carbon handlebar
Crank Brothers Highline 125mm dropper
-1° Cane Creek Angleset

Can't wait to experience what you have -- a bike that climbs and descends with alacrity and confidence. Add in durability, quality and the Turner customer service and I can't (and won't) ask for more.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Glad to see this thread still getting some action. I just picked up a second hand XL Burner v3.1 frame. I'm thrilled to be building this up as my first full-suspension bike. I started on a fatbike, progressed to a hardtail plus bike, then a hardtail 29er, most recently an all-mountain 27.5 hardtail and now the Burner. I've been reasearching frames for months. With a logic perhaps unique to me, I really wanted a 140mm travel bike with modern geometry (but on the less-progressive end of the spectrum), made from aluminum (just not ready for the investment in carbon), and 142 rear spacing with clearance for decent width tires (have too many good parts in the non-Boost standard). There's a handful of bikes that fit this criteria, but only the Burner brings the made in the USA ethos and commitment to good pedaling that I want to prioritize. Here's my upcoming build spec, photos to come.

Burner v3.1, XL, black
Cane Creek DBAir
MRP Stage 150mm
Stan's Flow Mk3 w/ Bitex hubs
Minion DHF 2.5WT (front)
Rekon 2.5 (rear)
XT/Zee 1x10 drivetrain, 28t w/ 11-36
XT hydraulic disc brakes
Deity Copperhead 35mm stem
Crank Brothers Iodine carbon handlebar
Crank Brothers Highline 125mm dropper
-1° Cane Creek Angleset

Can't wait to experience what you have -- a bike that climbs and descends with alacrity and confidence. Add in durability, quality and the Turner customer service and I can't (and won't) ask for more.
Congrats!
Did you pick up your frame through Pinkbike?

·
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #659
Happy 6th birthday to my Burner according to the date on when I started this thread.

Still using the original shock, same crankarms and headset. There's been a few different forks, gearsets, bars, stems, brakes and I've a different set of wheels on it now compared to the original build.

Here's one from this past summer
20180606_073022_resized_1.jpg

641 - 660 of 662 Posts