Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

621 - 640 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been riding my Burner v3.0 for about three months now, and am slowly making some tweaks to the set up as I get to know the bike better.

The main build is unchanged, the most significant changes are swapping from a 20 degree rise stem to an inverted 6 degree rise one, which has lowered the front end fairly significantly, and more importantly fitting offset bushings to the shock.

This has changed the bike's geometry by slackening the head angle, I don't know what the exact difference is but it's over a degree so it is now sitting somewhere between 65.5 and 66 degrees, and lowering the bb to around 330mm. And also slackening the seat angle.

I have only done one ride with the adjusted geo, so it's early days, but quite promising so far. The bike definitely felt a bit more planted and stable on the descents (Strava seemed to confirm this too ). Climbing wise, the slacker seat angle is a negative (though not a hugely noticeable one so far) - if I do miss the steeper seat angle I will try moving the saddle forward to compensate. The lower bb is potentially problematic as there are a fair few rocky and steep climbs where I ride (peak district, UK) but I haven't yet noticed significantly worse pedal strike issues. If I do get too many pedal strikes I will try fitting shorter cranks.

I also have a 1 degree angleset coming so when I fit that the head angle I should be able to get the head angle under 65 degrees. Unfortunately with a 44mm headtube and tapered steerer it seems like this is the maximum possible adjustment, which is a shame as I would like to see how the bike would ride with a sub 64 degree head angle, I bet it would be fun

Oh, I've also fitted mudhugger mudguards front and rear. Ugly, but very effective, and sadly necessary given the epic amounts of gritty slop covering the trails here over winter...

Overall still very happy with the bike, at some point I would like to give a proper forward geometry bike a go and I think that is the only thing that would convince me to change. I would also like to try the Burner with a set of wide carbon rims, have looked a few times at getting some Derbys which I am sure would be fantastic, so maybe that will be the next upgrade!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
MamTor

The Mudhugger is the best thing ever. My buddies all have em here on Vancouver Island and a dry bum is a happy bum.

·
Registered
743 Posts
MamTor

The Mudhugger is the best thing ever. My buddies all have em here on Vancouver Island and a dry bum is a happy bum.
Since we actually got some rain here in Norcal, I got the Mudhugger front and rear. I've only used the rear once, and it was great. The front is pretty much permanently on my bike these days; even more than keeping mud and dirt off of me, it really helps to keep my stanchions much cleaner (which I think must be a plus).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone tried adding a stealth dropper routing to a frame pre version 3.1? If yes how did it go? Also anyone with a 3.1 burner can you tell me the dimensions of the slot please as keen to see if I could machine one into a frame?

Many thanks

·
650b me
1,486 Posts
I decided to proceed with my Burner build. Sorry, no pics yet, but soon. It's gonna be sweet. I took my time acquiring the parts for this build. 6 months, in fact. That's a long time to wait, but it allowed me to really research my options and get the parts I wanted at decent prices (important when one is unemployed!).

Stay tuned, pics of the build in process coming soon....maybe as soon as tomorrow.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
3 1/2 years since starting the thread my Burner is still loving the high life, pic from todays ride at 12022ft on Kokomo Pass, CO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a question. I have been riding my 2014 burner, with the fox kashima shock, standard pike 150 rtc3, Hope Enduro wheelset, and Thomson 50mm stem /730 carbon handlebar cockpit for 2 years now. Last few weeks I have done a lot of downhill riding in the Alps. Both in France (near Puy st Vincent) and Austria (Saalbach). I experienced several bottom outs on the front, running the recommended pressure. I am 40 years old, not much of a jumper, but I like to ride fast through rock gardens and over brake bumps.

Even though I love the Burner I am looking for further improvements.

What improvements can I expect with adding tokens to the Pike? Especially regarding smoothness and small bumb performance?
Would an angle set help?
How much slacker would the head angle be if I change the Pike 150 for a 160 Lyrik?
Would I benefit from another rearshock? If so, what would you suggest.

I would love to get a RFX, but funds are limited.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bumped by by pike up to 160, running it with slightly more sag and one token. With more sag handle bar height is just about the same. Barely notice any difference with front end wander on steep climbs, descends better. More importantly, make sure air is not being sucked into the charger damper because of the stock seal head making the fork very harsh. Rockshox has redesigned the seal head for forks starting in 2016. Ask your dealer to warranty the seal head and rebleed the damper with new oil when you extend the work to 160. Try that before going lyrik. Did all this to my fork. smooth like butter now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a question. I have been riding my 2014 burner, with the fox kashima shock, standard pike 150 rtc3, Hope Enduro wheelset, and Thomson 50mm stem /730 carbon handlebar cockpit for 2 years now. Last few weeks I have done a lot of downhill riding in the Alps. Both in France (near Puy st Vincent) and Austria (Saalbach). I experienced several bottom outs on the front, running the recommended pressure. I am 40 years old, not much of a jumper, but I like to ride fast through rock gardens and over brake bumps.

Even though I love the Burner I am looking for further improvements.

What improvements can I expect with adding tokens to the Pike? Especially regarding smoothness and small bumb performance?
Would an angle set help?
How much slacker would the head angle be if I change the Pike 150 for a 160 Lyrik?
Would I benefit from another rearshock? If so, what would you suggest.

I would love to get a RFX, but funds are limited.
I am on my third season on the Burner. Was kinda getting bored with how the Burner was riding. I was in the same boat and was going to change my Pike from 150mm to 160mm. Then I decided to mess around more with my Pike and added two tokens to the fork and dropped the PSI down a lot and made the rebound several clicks faster. It made a big difference....it was more supple for the small bumps, but got rid of any bottom out on bigger hits. Feels planted but poppy when you want it to. Seemed to make the Burner more lively overall as well. I also dropped the PSI on the rear shock slightly and the bike went from being good to holy sh#t this thing rips! Not sure what took me so long to sort out the suspension on this thing, but its like a whole different bike now. Seems like small PSI changes make a huge difference on how this thing behaves. Once you sort your numbers you will know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any thoughts on the DBcoil [IL] shock? Would this suit the Burner well?
Havent run the DBcoil so could not comment. Did run the RS Debonair for a little while with a M/M tune. It was a great shock but the Burner really needs a lighter compression tune to free up the suspension on small bumps and low speed roots. I switched back to the lighter tuned stock Fox CTD and played around a lot with the PSI to get it to do what I wanted in Trail and Descend mode. If you check around earlier posts on this thread I believe several guys have run the DB coil with good results.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Saturday's mountain passes were brought to you by Kenosha and Georgia, the latter at ~11800ft before heading down to Breckenridge on the Colorado Trail is below.

621 - 640 of 662 Posts