Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 662 Posts

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my production Burner frame so thought I better start off first.

The drivetrain will be coming out of my parts bin, I want to see how I like the gearing on 650b before making any changes.

Rider: 6'2", 175lb

Frame Size & Color: XL Rawwwww
Rear Shock: Fox CTD, Kashima
Fork: Fox 34 Float black 150mm
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR Mag
Shifter: SRAM X.0 grip
Cranks: Shimano XTR Triple
Chainguide: None
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 medium
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Stem: Easton Haven 55mm
Handlebar: Bontrager X Lite flat
Seatpost: KS Lev 100mm drop
Saddle: Specialized Phenom
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR
Chainring: 22-32-bash
Cassette: Shimano XTR, 11-34
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Grips: Oury
Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf, 2.35
Front Rim: Stan's Arch EX
Front Hub: Hope black 32H, 15QR
Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25
Rear Rim: Stan's Arch EX
Rear Hub: Hope black 32H, 142X12

Weight 7.38lb for the frame, shock, seatpost clamp and rear axle.
Build weight is just over 29lb
Wheelbase is 47"
BB height is 13.25"

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I believe (unless I missed it) that this is the first PRODUCTION Burner frame I've seen posted-looks great! I've been picking up parts all winter to add to the stuff I already have and I'm about ready to order a frame. I'll be really interested in your impressions of this bike...Congrats!

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Build is at an impasse waiting on the fork and headset buildkit from Turner, due to be delivered today. Should have it ready this evening :)

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP updated with the build complete, still working on handlebar height etc. hence the donut holder. Bar drop isn't as bad as the photos make it look, but it is nearly an inch more than I've been running on my 29ers.

Weather isn't cooperating for a proper test this weekend...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
OP updated with the build complete, still working on handlebar height etc. hence the donut holder. Bar drop isn't as bad as the photos make it look, but it is nearly an inch more than I've been running on my 29ers.

Weather isn't cooperating for a proper test this weekend...
Nice photo shoot in Central Park! I am sure you must have gotten some quizzical looks.

Great looking bike and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the bike in the Westchester terrain.

·
Registered
12,532 Posts
Man, I'd worry about getting mugged carrying that much bling around Central Park.

If only the muggers knew how much that bike was worth.

Nice build John. Looks great. Can't wait to hear your ride impressions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
good luck with the build! I'll be visiting NY in April and will be bringing my Burner so maybe we can meet up. Could you show me around some of the trails?

·
Registered
722 Posts
i like it. i like it lot. i'm very curious about the seemingly long wheelbase - 47 in for a 150mm bike - especially for you at 6 ft 2 in - how is the burner gonna climb? aren't you going to be super streched out to get weight over both wheels? did you have a tough call between large and XL? looking forward to your reviews and enjoy that bike!

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After finally getting out on mine today after looking at it shiney new for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to break I can confirm something.

I've bought an assault weapon.

The frame combined with the Fox 34 gives so much confidence, at speed through baby heads, or off drops I was loving it. Coming off several years only riding XC on 29ers I didn't notice any dimished rollover ability with this setup. The slacker headangle will take some getting used to on the steeper switchback climbs. But it gives sooooo much confidence pointed downhill and allowed me to hit a couple of drops I'd always skipped on previous bikes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
After finally getting out on mine today after looking at it shiney new for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to break I can confirm something.

I've bought an assault weapon.

The frame combined with the Fox 34 gives so much confidence, at speed through baby heads, or off drops I was loving it. Coming off several years only riding XC on 29ers I didn't notice any dimished rollover ability with this setup. The slacker headangle will take some getting used to on the steeper switchback climbs. But it gives sooooo much confidence pointed downhill and allowed me to hit a couple of drops I'd always skipped on previous bikes.

Have you ridden a Sultan? I am curious in how it rides compared to a Sultan. I like the Sultan's ability to monster truck over obstacles, but I think I would like a bike that is more playful.

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spent 5 years on a TNT Sultan, demoed the original DW version in '08.

So far I'm loving the Burner, it has the monster truck ability with the 34 and the playfulness.

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I'd worry about getting mugged carrying that much bling around Central Park.

If only the muggers knew how much that bike was worth.

Nice build John. Looks great. Can't wait to hear your ride impressions.
So you wouldn't leave it hanging around here then? :D

·
4,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got out for a solid 3 hour ride again today, giving the Burner a solid test on tech chunk and climbing in the Blue Mountain rocks, 16miles for 2350ft of climbing.

It climbs really well, particularly on steep sharp little tech moves where if you can turn the cranks, it can climb it. I cleaned a couple of little moves I've always struggled with.

Pedal strikes aren't a problem, just need to ratchet those cranks ;)

It laughs at 3ft drops.

1 - 20 of 662 Posts