Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into Supergo today and they actually have the Burner now at $849 through July 25th (in-store) and damn am I tempted as I have always liked Turners and the Burner in particular.

I now ride weekly with XC race guys and want to get into racing myself so I am considering a bike for that purpose......as well as long non-technical rides so I can more easily keep up with these guys on Litespeed Ti Hardtails.

Am I just an idiot for thinking that I should perhaps consider a hardtail? For the past week I have been considering getting something like a Dean Ti hardtail or even a Gunnar Rockhound steel hardtail for the above-mentioned purpose. Is this nuts???Have I just forgotten how a hard tail feels??

I think the answer might be yes and have switched gears to thinking that building up a light Burner may be the way to go in this regard. The guy at Supergo said Turner has some sort of adapter to run rim brakes and I was wondering if anyone has gone this route.

Any words of wisdom appreciated....especially from folks using their burner for XC racing (not competitive mind you).

Cheers

·
Registered
510 Posts
canti

Wow, what a deal, I pd. full price, but am very happy with it. Is this sale for all stores until 7/25? As for canti mounts, I have a pair. Turner is supposedly out of them. Here's a pix of what they look like. Go for it, you'll love it.

FoShizzle said:
I went into Supergo today and they actually have the Burner now at $849 through July 25th (in-store) and damn am I tempted as I have always liked Turners and the Burner in particular.

I now ride weekly with XC race guys and want to get into racing myself so I am considering a bike for that purpose......as well as long non-technical rides so I can more easily keep up with these guys on Litespeed Ti Hardtails.

Am I just an idiot for thinking that I should perhaps consider a hardtail? For the past week I have been considering getting something like a Dean Ti hardtail or even a Gunnar Rockhound steel hardtail for the above-mentioned purpose. Is this nuts???Have I just forgotten how a hard tail feels??

I think the answer might be yes and have switched gears to thinking that building up a light Burner may be the way to go in this regard. The guy at Supergo said Turner has some sort of adapter to run rim brakes and I was wondering if anyone has gone this route.

Any words of wisdom appreciated....especially from folks using their burner for XC racing (not competitive mind you).

Cheers

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Great choice

I raced an O2 for 3 seasons. The Burner is very similar, just a little longer travel in the back and set up for an 100 mm fork instead of an 80 mm. They are great race bikes. If the courses are entirely smooth, a hardtail could be faster, but I'm sure I was faster than I would have been (plus a lot less beat up) on my O2 on the courses I race in Utah. I ran V-brakes, but if you're in wet weather a lot, I would recommend discs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
With any kind of stable platform shock, the Burner is a great race bike. It even races well with a normal shock, but climbs better and therefore is probably a better racer with an SP shock.

I run my Burner with v-brakes on the rear, and an Avid 180mm disk on the front. This setup works very well for me, giving me enough rear modulation that I don't lock the rear up, and plenty of front brake power.

Trust me, you get back on a hardtail, you'll hate it. Plus, setup properly the Burner is probably a faster race bike for the average rider.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
I've been campaigning my

Burner in a local sprint series here in the AZ heat. It's not exactly a NORBA sanctioned event and has the entrants comensurate as such (10-20 riders per event). Even at close to 27lbs w/old Hayes discs I have yet to place lower than 4th on it. I have brought my 24lb steel hardtail out on occasion but I miss the ability to track exactly where I want to on the course and not worry about being bounced off line or pinch flat through a rock garden that the Burner affords me. These are 20-30 minute races so although you would think that weight would be a factor - the burner more than makes up for it in its precise handling.

Unless you'll be racing primarily on glass smooth singletrack I'd say go for it.

I have the Swinger 3-way BTW and a Noleen Mega Air set to 100mm up front.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. However, I missed the 850 dollar deal as I have been and am currently out of the country. No big deal...when I return, assuming I stay convinced that a hardtail is not the way for me to go, I will probably still get one but likely with Larry at mtnhighcyclery if he still has some at prices at I think about the same as Supergo's current price.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts