Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to the pic's in Passion.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=42389

After three months on the bike I have to say I'm very impressed with the bikes ability to climb both the technical and smooth stuff. The only down side that I noticed is that switchbacks can be a bit of a b!tch with that 44" wheelbase. Cornering is also *very* impressive - both wheels feel attached to the same bike. Downhill is great, but I think it would get even better with some larger, more aggressive tires - I have small 2.1's on ATM and it takes a LONG time to stop in the dry loose Colorado conditions. Think I'm going to try the popular Kenda combo BG/NEV in a 2.1

·
Registered
668 Posts
Steve71 said:
Here's a link to the pic's in Passion.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=42389

After three months on the bike I have to say I'm very impressed with the bikes ability to climb both the technical and smooth stuff. The only down side that I noticed is that switchbacks can be a bit of a b!tch with that 44" wheelbase. Cornering is also *very* impressive - both wheels feel attached to the same bike. Downhill is great, but I think it would get even better with some larger, more aggressive tires - I have small 2.1's on ATM and it takes a LONG time to stop in the dry loose Colorado conditions. Think I'm going to try the popular Kenda combo BG/NEV in a 2.1
I love that ride - need to get there in the next few weeks...

Just put some 2.3 Conti Vert Pros on the Burner, and love 'em. Go big!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was there Saturday too...

I was there Saturday too on my 5-spot with a group of 9.

>>The only down side ... switchbacks can be a bit of a b!tch with that 44" wheelbase. << I made 'em all. You just gotta get some more experience. I've had the 'spot for 9 months. It took a while to get used to the wheelbase. I think the 'spot's wheelbase is even long than your burner.

>>some larger, more aggressive tires... LONG time to stop in the dry loose Colorado conditions.<< Yeah, I'm running Specialized Enduro 2.2s on Mavic 823s. Wide tires with lots of air volume helps. Although, mine are near bald and that doesn't help. I'm running tubless. That alone gives better traction. If you don't have tubless rims, the Stans kits work great. I would recommend using tubless tires, no matter what Stan says about non-tubless tires.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pcormier said:
I was there Saturday too on my 5-spot with a group of 9.

>>The only down side ... switchbacks can be a bit of a b!tch with that 44" wheelbase. << I made 'em all. You just gotta get some more experience. I've had the 'spot for 9 months. It took a while to get used to the wheelbase. I think the 'spot's wheelbase is even long than your burner.

>>some larger, more aggressive tires... LONG time to stop in the dry loose Colorado conditions.<< Yeah, I'm running Specialized Enduro 2.2s on Mavic 823s. Wide tires with lots of air volume helps. Although, mine are near bald and that doesn't help. I'm running tubless. That alone gives better traction. If you don't have tubless rims, the Stans kits work great. I would recommend using tubless tires, no matter what Stan says about non-tubless tires.
A fiver eh! Very nice :cool: I figure it would be close to the perfect trail bike for the conditions here in Colorado.

I didn't have any problems cleaning the switchbacks at KP, I was just reflecting on the fact that the longer WB makes them more difficult/slower (or at least different) than a shorter WB bike. :)

I'm waiting to find the right tires before I go with stan's - I was a big fan of the Conti vertical pro 2.3, but my wife (who also ran that tire) is heaping praise on her new Kenda tires. They about the same weight as the Conti's but have a larger volume and 'look' to have a more aggressive tread with about the same rolling resistance. I'm going to have to 'borrow' her tires for a test ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
>>A fiver eh! Very nice <<
Yeah, I love it. Thanks.

>>didn't have any problems cleaning the switchbacks at KP... longer WB makes them more difficult/slower<<
I totally agree. No disrespect intended. As I said, it takes some getting used to. A little more body language, but I'm sure you've got that since you did so well.

>>Conti vertical pro 2.3<<
I liked those too, but I found them a bit squirmy, probably based on my girth (210lbs).

>> my wife... heaping praise on her new Kenda tires.<<
Which model Kenda?.

All my current favorite specialized tires are obsolete. I'm about to get a set of Maxxis High Rollers in 2.3 tubless. I've seen some Kendas that look good, but I've gotta stick with the Tubless variety which unfortunately limits my selection.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>Conti vertical pro 2.3<<
I liked those too, but I found them a bit squirmy, probably based on my girth (210lbs).

>> my wife... heaping praise on her new Kenda tires.<<
Which model Kenda?.

Blue Groove 2.1 for the front and the Nevagal 2.1 for the rear. I don't know if they're avaible in a UST version though. They are large for a 2.1 - larger than the Conti Vert 2.3.

Take it easy - see ya on the trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.