Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sun Valley, Idaho, USA

ZenDog...it is very rare for arson to be the cause of a fire in the mountains here in the US. Idaho had a bad fire season last year and around the ski area of Sun Valley it was an amazing event. If not for the unbelievable firefighters it would had been a far worst event. I had never ridden through an area with so many miles of fire damage as last week. It really is remarkable to take it all in. It will take more than my lifetime to repair the damage...but it will repair itself.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Nice pics - sad about the loss of vegetation but as you say it's often naturally occuring (lightning). Down here in Australia we have very bad bushfires most summers - worse now considering we've been in a drought for a decade.

There is a round of the UCI MTB World Cup in Canberra, Australia this year (Aug 30-31) that's being held at a MTB park built on a mountain completely wiped out by bushfires in 2003:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra_bushfires

The fires were so hot and the wind so strong that the pines looked like those in the photos above, only bent over in the direction the wind was blowing - that's how they stayed (they made a memorial of this seen in the link above). Over 500 homes lost, the Observatory at the top of the mountain destroyed, and the soil is so badly damaged it will take years to repair, if ever - it's like talcum powder. But there's plenty of scrub growing now so give it a few years and it will be an even better place to ride.

(sorry ... bit of an informational hijack there. Nice ride OP ... big fan of Nomads)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice bike mp007, out of interest how do the Pace forks run on your Nomad? I have a pair of the RC40's on my Turner 5 Spot that are now feeling a bit old but am just building a Nomad. Do the forks work well?

Where was the shot taken?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pace Fork

I like the Pace Fork. I ride a ton of smooth trails so the weight of the FOX 36 on the front end of the Nomad was too heavy. Made me want to just ride my 25lb Blur. The Pace is a beautiful fork....and has worked very well over the last 1500-1800 miles. I weight 160lbs....if I was 185+ I would beef the Nomad up a tad with 160mm fork. My large Nomad is 29.4 lbs with the Gravity Dropper.

The memorial photo of the Australia fire was very cool with the bent trees. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thats sad to see but as someone said mother nature works in crazy way. (I hope it was lightning) Being a firefighter I know how large and hot the fires can get. They burn everyting in their way.
We had a fire sparked by lighting on one of our better trails about 3 years ago and it never came back. The loss of the tree canopee caused the ground to just turn to a deep sandy desert. Most of it is still unrideable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.