Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to ride almost all of the course on Saturday am. Some members of the local club were out there to do trailwork and they let me know how to loop it all together. They still have some work to do with a few of the trails.
I rode it on a singlespeed with a 34X17 and it was a little too steep in places. The course is awesome and the location is as beautiful. It is a great place to have a 24 hour race. The course has excellent flow as opposed to the previous years course. The climbs are quite a grunt, but the descents just flow. They have a few "shore style" stunts, a few small jumps, and a few huge jumps. It looks like it will handle a little rain pretty well.
All in all I would say it is an event to look forward to. Where else can you do a 24 hour race for that kind of money.

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
So how long will the course be? With so many laps in the previous years races (35+ for teams, 23+ for solo), boredom could be a factor. It seems like a good race for a first time 24 solo rider, low-key and inexpensive, but I'd love 1.5 hour laps.

jimbo

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short by your standards..

The course will probably be @ 6 miles in length. I can't imagine a solo winner doing less than 24 laps. The course is really well built and you can maintain a great steady pace. I know what you mean about longer laps. You stay in the groove longer and don't have to leave the comfort of the pits every hour. I still think it will be fun though. I guess I should mention I am racing on a team for the first time since 2000 and I am looking forward to actually having a good time as opposed to 24 hours of riding.
I have done quite a few solos and I would say that this would be one of the best races to get your feet wet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trail conditions?

What are the trail conditions like. I'm coming from the New England area where rocks, roots, and mud are what I see on a good day.

Is the course pretty polished/buffed enough where I could run a lower tread (lighter weight) tire? Any tire recomendations for riding the NC area?

Doing it solo so picking a good tire is kinda important :)
.nathan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts