Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The official stroller kit it $100, and has crappy plastic wheels that make noise and pivots that get sticky. I used pneumatic scooter wheels, 2 cheap headsets, and some 3D printed parts to make my own. Rolls nice and silky.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle
Plumbing fixture Household hardware Plumbing Wood Material property

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Tire

Instead of starting a new thread I will add the latest Burley mod here since it's also using 3D printing.

I needed to switch to tubeless because goatheads around here are intense, and the trailer is a goathead magnet because the tires always roll off the main path. I had some decent luck last year with running Stans in Schwalb tubes. It turns out the brand of tube makes a big difference because of the latex content works better with Stan's. Using cheap Walmart tubes with Stan's basically didn't work at all, but with Schwalb tubes they would usually seal except the odd stubborn one. Even when I was remounting these tires I pulled out at least 3 old goatheads that were still poking into the tire.

Anyway I wasn't going to try tubeless on the stock rims. The stock hubs are 20h and I couldn't 20h tubeless rims. I managed to find a set of 28h trailer hubs, but they didn't have the parking brake interface on them. I 3D printed parking brake tracks and axle spacers to get the hubs to work on the trailer, and installed Alienation 28h tubeless rims and re-mounted the same tires tubeless. The new hubs are steel and the extra 8 spokes doesn't help either but the total weight is still identical to the old ones. Goes to show how much rotating weight you save by ditching tubes.

If I get motivated I will make some aluminum hubs from scratch but that would be like an 8h project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts