Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I pop in here every once in a while. I woulda posted a nice picture from a lunch ride a few weeks back but didn't understand how to insert a picture. I only have .jpgs on my hardrive...no photo host. Help?

Anywhoo, per the Burlington Free Press today, Burke Mountain was sold and there will be some changes at the ski resort. Read for yourself: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...?AID=/20051130/BUSINESS/511300301/1003&theme=

I don't think this will hurt our KTA. In fact, it could be a cool opportunity to work in existing and/or new trails during the planning stages of changes at the resort, if the KTA folks are on their game. They always seem to be.

Does a major resort upgrade scare you because it will be a 4-season resort, possibly flooding KTA with people or is it good for the new amenities that will be available?

Brian.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
NW_Vermont said:
Hey guys. I pop in here every once in a while. I woulda posted a nice picture from a lunch ride a few weeks back but didn't understand how to insert a picture. I only have .jpgs on my hardrive...no photo host. Help?

Anywhoo, per the Burlington Free Press today, Burke Mountain was sold and there will be some changes at the ski resort. Read for yourself: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...?AID=/20051130/BUSINESS/511300301/1003&theme=

I don't think this will hurt our KTA. In fact, it could be a cool opportunity to work in existing and/or new trails during the planning stages of changes at the resort, if the KTA folks are on their game. They always seem to be.

Does a major resort upgrade scare you because it will be a 4-season resort, possibly flooding KTA with people or is it good for the new amenities that will be available?

Brian.
To post a picture from your hard drive us the the "Upload Images" button in the additional Options when you create post.

As to being scared by a 4-season resort and what that might mean to KTA....no. I'm nervous about the track record of this company. i.e. PRIVATE resorts. then add in they're major thing is golf courses. I would think this will greatly change things in Burke. Given that, working with them might be a major effort and must be done from the jump.

The best untapped resorce at Burke is the mountain. The potential for trails in amazing. but never happened because one just gets the "it's too steep". Which I claim is bogous if one knows how to build proper trails on a mountainside, using the countours and not just rocketing straight down. But know that the land is sold to another company it would take selling them on a MTB resort which would effect KTA.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
brianc said:
The best untapped resorce at Burke is the mountain. The potential for trails in amazing. but never happened because one just gets the "it's too steep". Which I claim is bogous if one knows how to build proper trails on a mountainside, using the countours and not just rocketing straight down. But know that the land is sold to another company it would take selling them on a MTB resort which would effect KTA.
These are in the works and too steep doesn't appear to be an issue anymore. The J-bar trail was rerouted to become one of the best trails out there later this past season. It used to be a steep and a straight shot down the mountain. They recut it to be like Dead Moose Alley and it is very nice.

There is also a downhill and freeride trail off the top that really are what they claim. The freeride trail has some sections that normally would be tough but tend to be damp which makes them quite difficult. There are some sections that wouldn't be tough when dry, that are silly wet due to the steepness and ground type. The downhill trail is a rocky high speed descent with a lot of altitude loss over a short time.

I bet the KTA thing will stay the same. The business is built off the trail access fees at a reasonable price. The resort would have to charge for the trail access and then KTA wouldn't make any money. Then land owners would pull out and the place would go to poo.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Severum said:
These are in the works and too steep doesn't appear to be an issue anymore. The J-bar trail was rerouted to become one of the best trails out there later this past season. It used to be a steep and a straight shot down the mountain. They recut it to be like Dead Moose Alley and it is very nice.

There is also a downhill and freeride trail off the top that really are what they claim. The freeride trail has some sections that normally would be tough but tend to be damp which makes them quite difficult. There are some sections that wouldn't be tough when dry, that are silly wet due to the steepness and ground type. The downhill trail is a rocky high speed descent with a lot of altitude loss over a short time.

I bet the KTA thing will stay the same. The business is built off the trail access fees at a reasonable price. The resort would have to charge for the trail access and then KTA wouldn't make any money. Then land owners would pull out and the place would go to poo.

where are those trails located? if they're on the ski resort property, concider them gone until an agreement with the new owners can be reached. But even those do not use the true potential of Bruke mountain. if I'm not mistaken they still only go to the base of the ski hill. IF the full mountian were used for high quality single track it would be truely "world class". I'm thinking a parrallel to what's at Angel Fire resot in NM. it doesn't have to be super techincal to be sweet. I would love to see full use of the vertical though.

as to effecting KTA, if mtb trails are built on the resort then they will be in direct compitition to KTA. A partnership is in both their best intrest, but that's what I mean needs to be established early. The good side to that is a MTB resort would never go private. we're too cheep and too few in number. (as compaired to golf and skiing.)

·
customized
3,123 Posts
The potential there is enormous. The atmosphere is top notch for biking. You are so right!

The DH and FR trail come off the top and J-bar is halfway up. Everytime I go, I talk with some of the crew to see what's up. It sounds like there are plans in the works. Who knows with this new development. Not convincing myself all is overwith. The KTA guys are smart and have a spectacular reputation with the land owners. If things aren't already squared up, they will be before summer comes. (I hope... hee hee)

I am sure they will allow KTA to use the land as the original owners did. No way that small mountain can have mountain biking with the trails they have on that property or the few that will get built. I would just pay the $7 and ride the other trails and say screw the resort stuff. What I think they will do is offer resort type stays and other activities. People will fill the resort and go biking, but pay KTA the fee. Who knows though. They would make a killing without the KTA fees. If you don't agree, you really need to spend some more time up there. That place gets mobbed. If people pay the high inn prices, then they will pay resort prices. What they need is more entertainment at night. All in all, if the mountain gets cutoff from KTA, I think both will be hurt by it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
you're missing my point.

I agree with everything you say, but we don't know anything for certian. the original poster asked if a 4 seaon place scared me. that wouldn't.

what scares me is the possiblity, given the history of the new owners that golf will be king. and that is WAY more of a potential money source than the MTB crowd. couple that with the "priviate resort" set that the new owners like to cater to. Golf and MTB do not get along. Way worse than Horse v. bike or hiker v. bike.

The money Golf brings along with wanting to get their feet wet in the skiing buisness before the go all out in CO is why they bought Bruke. MTBing and the scene KTA has made is just a minor blip.

On the positive side that Blip can be nurtured into a positive IF the stars align and I hope they do.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
I noticed what you meant. Good thing I prefer the Darling Hill side and trails that aren't on that resort land. KTA will stay, it is just the handful of trails on the mountain that is in question. I'll do some research and see if I can find some answers.

Been thinking of trying golf as well. Maybe this is a good thing.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
Severum said:
Been thinking of trying golf as well. Maybe this is a good thing.
yuck.
All we need is yet another golf course taking up more beautiful land so that a bunch of elitist white guys can run around in stupid little outfits.

good call

·
customized
3,123 Posts
yogreg said:
yuck.
All we need is yet another golf course taking up more beautiful land so that a bunch of elitist white guiys can run around in stupid little outfits.

good call
hee hee, you know me well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
yogreg said:
yuck.
All we need is yet another golf course taking up more beautiful land so that a bunch of elitist white guys can run around in stupid little outfits.

good call
Their outfits are only marginally more stupid than ours :D

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Just wondering, where are they going to put this golf course. All the flat land anywhere near the trails and the property in question is close to peoples houses. Besides, you can't put the golf course on the ski trails...

I just can't imagine where they are gonna put this unless it is on the other side of the mountain completely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Severum said:
Amazing how one ill fated meant to be humorous comment killed this thread.

Funny responses though... got anymore?
It was the truth of the statement that I was getting at, sorry you did not latch on to it.

Ride on.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Vincent said:
It was the truth of the statement that I was getting at, sorry you did not latch on to it.

Ride on.
It was my comment about me taking up golfing that started it... again I was trying to be humorous.

Your comment was funny man... Ride On!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's all good

Severum said:
It was my comment about me taking up golfing that started it... again I was trying to be humorous.

Your comment was funny man... Ride On!

But I do have one more. Quick and Dirty.

Peace.

Perhaps not next years ride report... but the year after???

Friday afternoon I pack up the Jeep and take the three hour drive up to Vermont for two days of sweet riding at the Kingdom Trails. Weather was perfect, the trails were fast and flowy, and the good times were rollin'.

Thanks to Louis, Rob, and Sean for the sweet routes. Props to Merrimac Dave for the inspiration.

I was also able to break a personal riding goal for the season

Greg

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Very very cool. That is some cool photochopping.

I should see if KTA will post that on thier map.

Vincent said:
But I do have one more. Quick and Dirty.

Peace.

Perhaps not next years ride report... but the year after???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts