Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't the for sale section but its not REALLY a bike part either. But a machining friend told me his Burke #4 horiz is for sale when I was over there yesterday. Its a small size mill that many hobbyists can fit in a basement/garage, easily move, and the size of machine some bike builders fancy to miter/slot tubing. So, I figured I'd ask here if any interest. It'll have to be wiggled out of his walk out basement but not too hard. PM me if interested.

Asking $400. Located in the DC/MD area.

This isn't the machine, but what one looks like:
James Riser Burke Milling Machine

·
Registered
885 Posts
Very, very envious of your find. I'm just learning about mills, for years I make all my stuff by hand, hence crude at best.

Nice job on explaining everything in your link, thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To clarify: Not my find. I know of one for sale and was asking if anyone here was interested in buying it. I have 3 mills already and don't need another.

a machining friend told me his Burke #4 horiz is for sale ... I figured I'd ask here if any interest. .... Asking $400. Located in the DC/MD area.
The link provided was just to show what a burke #4 looks like and how it could be moved (in a minivan no less - not going to happen w/ a bridgeport:) ). There isn't any info on Tony's lathes.co.uk page so figured some prospective buyers would need some pics/info of what one looked like. My friend is in his 70's, no internet access, and wants to make space to move his Hardinge UM in so I was just trying to offer it a a good price (IMO) to the kinds of people who would make good use of it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Most of those Burkes have a B&S No. 9 taper spindle. Collets and end mill holders are available new, but horizontal arbors are harder to come by. Not difficult to make tooling if you have a lathe, but not as convenient as being able to run out and buy stuff (a la Morse taper).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.