Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
i like dirt.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't do a bunnyhop. I know how to do one but i just can't do it. Like I know how you have to get into like a manual then push forward or w/e but i can't manual without pedaling and can only go for about 10 feet max.

So from my understanding I have to get into a quick manual than push my body forward than once the rear tire gets up I push back right?

Any suggestions or help?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i feel like pulling up on the bars isnt' enough. if i pull up till the bars are almost at my chest, its really hard to get the rear up. do u guys feel like you're throwing your bodies backwards while doing it? b/c if i'm crouched over and i pull up i don't get very high. but i'm also scared to lean back.

·
i like dirt.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But isn't bunnyhopping on a bmx different from a 26"? Like on a bmx you can just hop up on it with both wheels leaving the ground at the same time, but with a 26" you have to do that whole front wheely thingy with the pull up thingy on the bars and rear wheel thingy.
Right?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
InnovateorDie said:
But isn't bunnyhopping on a bmx different from a 26"? Like on a bmx you can just hop up on it with both wheels leaving the ground at the same time, but with a 26" you have to do that whole front wheely thingy with the pull up thingy on the bars and rear wheel thingy.
Right?
Not really. I can hop either way. I hop better with both wheels coming up at the same time though. It's all one fluid motion. Just keep practicing.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
It's way faster than you describe. Sure you pull up first but the back follows a few instants later.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i always pull up the front first,, i found it weird at first with the front suspension. it was easier for me if i bounce down on the front end a bit first and do the hop in 2 motions sort of. pull up the front to get the wheel off the ground then *hop* with my legs to pull the back up. at the time i hop i pull up on the front just a bit more. the thing is with bunny hop its all one motion everything working together.. only way to learn is to practice.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
You can pull both wheels at the same time, but you will limit yourself to pretty low hops. When you start hitting the 30-40" range, you better be slappin the bars on your thighs....
think of it as jumping up with your bike and your body as high and straight up and down as possible. When you hit the top, you throw the bars forward and bring your legs up till the back tire is kissing your bum.

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
If you want to get technical a bunnyhop is when you lift both wheels at the same time. Its called a j-hop when you lift the front wheel up first then lift the rear wheel. Kinda like an ollie on a skateboard minus the tail to pop off. I had some trouble adjusting to the whole mtb thing too. I used to ride bmx when I was younger so I knew how to do it but when I started riding mtb it was xc w/ some clip pedals so when I got the dj bike it was hard to adjust. For me mostly bike geo and weight were the difference. Its alot of bike to toss around. I can hop prolly almost 2 feet high now just by practice practice practice. I got my dj bike last july and rode every day until october.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
InnovateorDie said:
Right?
Nope, it's the same on both type of bikes. Watch a few bmx videos, sure they do it fast, but they all pull up on the front and bring up the back afterwards.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
InnovateorDie said:
The pics aren't up. Did you happen to take them off?
Damnit. I deleted them from my gallery by mistake. Sorry. Here's the animation of all pics put together though.

Edit: Anyway, once I'm on my Secret Agent, I will do a repost with a few sequences from different angles and all. I'll also make one for rolling out of fakies, 180's, bunny hops to manuals, drops to flat. Stuff like that, to help people on the forums.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Innovate, you don't need to use the pedals to get the front end in the air. You just pull up the bars and unwieght the front end by shifting your body back toward the rear wheel, try not to think of the bunny hop as a seris of steps, it is more accurately thought of as a motion, such as a baseball swing, not steps, a single movement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.