Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bunnyhop "CORRECTLY"

1605 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  standard235
hi, well, i kind of learned how to bunnyhop in that i can get my bike up in the air...
the problem is, i can't get very far...
right now, my wheels can be about 40~50cm off the ground...
but going forward, only about the length of the bike itself..
i think the problem is maybe my way of doing it is incorrect...

my shins have been "pinned" a couple of times (before i bought the shin guard), so i have this fear (even when the shin guards are on) to fully trust my feet to suck up the pedal...
so whenever i jump, my feet are bent downward to track the pedal well
so i always take off both wheels at the "same" time
it almost looks like i'm using clipless pedals
it's all in one action

but on videos, people are able to do it in "two" separate stages
one is the pulling up, second is getting the rear wheel off the ground
when i try it, while pulling up, i lose a whole lot of forward speed
and after the front is pull back my body is fairly close to the back of the bike
such that bring up the back wheel seems impossible
please help
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
By your description it sounds like you're doing it very well. Don't base how well you do it by videos.
do a

search...bunnyhop comes up at least 1x a month, there are many threads. JIm
those tutoials are great and all, but i have one hell of a time pulling the front wheel up while standing!! i cant do do no matter how many times i try.

when i pop a wheelie i gotta be sitting down?

what am i doing wrong??

steve
It's more moving your weight back than pulling up. Unfortunately, if you have an XC bike with a long stem it's very difficult to get the front end up this way.
Scarpa said:
It's more moving your weight back than pulling up. Unfortunately, if you have an XC bike with a long stem it's very difficult to get the front end up this way.
Yup, this is my problem too. I like my weight somwhat forward for trail riding and although my trail riding skills are improving, but I still can't hop both wheels over say.... a small downed log or something. I can wheelie over it but my rear tire always catches it and slows my momentum more than I'd like it to. I just need to ride more often and keep practicing.

Ian
try compressing the fork prior to the obstacle. it will give you some spring as the tyre now easily clears use your body to pull up the arse end...wings also work.
phatr32 said:
those tutoials are great and all, but i have one hell of a time pulling the front wheel up while standing!! i cant do do no matter how many times i try.

when i pop a wheelie i gotta be sitting down?

what am i doing wrong??

steve
I was and still am having a prob. getting the fornt end up, but I found that you just have to thorw your weight back and pull up and back on the bars as hard as you can. I can loft the front wheel pretty good this way.
Hard as you can should land you on your ass.

Hell, I ride a bike 2 sizes too big for me and it happens. I rode a proper size and it was so touchy manualing it.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.