Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
chris the monikerless said:
I heard that your bunny hop height is limited by how high you can jump, is this true? Would increasing my verticle jump help bunny hopping?

Thanks.
Are you refering vertical jump as jumping of a building? Vertical jump is different from bunny hop. I saw Ned Overend perform bunny hop in his video and he said the bunny hop is suppose to be fluid like a cat jumping over the fence.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picard said:
Are you refering vertical jump as jumping of a building? Vertical jump is different from bunny hop. I saw Ned Overend perform bunny hop in his video and he said the bunny hop is suppose to be fluid like a cat jumping over the fence.
Sorry, I should be more specific. I meant vertical jump as in basketball. Increasing the power in you legs so you can jump higher and slam dunk a basketball.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
chris the monikerless said:
Sorry, I should be more specific. I meant vertical jump as in basketball. Increasing the power in you legs so you can jump higher and slam dunk a basketball.
It doesnt make much difference if you can do vertical jump. Ned mentioned that the important part is lifting the fron of the bike up and over the obstacle then pull up both legs to bring rear end of bike over. It is difficult to describe in words. It is best if you practice this technique with the concrete parking lot.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i have found that the higher the vertical generally the higher the bunny hop. my fiend worked out his legs and could actually jump higher. so i say go for and work out your legs and i think youll like the results.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,098 Posts
The more powerful your legs, the higher you'll be able to bunny hop...for certain. The key is explosive power. Even more important is your technique. A lot of people just yank the whole bike up at one time...this is wrong. It's been covered many times before, so I won't reiterate what dozens of people have said.

If you already have solid technique, increase your explosive power and it'll help you. Unless you're a top level BMX or trials rider, I can assure you that your technique could use tons of help though. It will definitely get you higher, much more quickly than doing loads of plyometrics or other power type exercises.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When we talk about these hops, are we talking with or without clips? Because I don't see how you can lift up on the pedals if you're not clipped in. How does one jump like that without clips?

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
paqman said:
When we talk about these hops, are we talking with or without clips? Because I don't see how you can lift up on the pedals if you're not clipped in. How does one jump like that without clips?
no of course not. i can jump higher with flats than clipless. its a technique that takes practice but its waay better than clipless

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Depending on the technique, that may not be the best measure. For just a straight bunny hop with clipless pedals, that may hold true. But with a more J-hop or ollie style hop the technique has more to do with how high you can jump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you want to improve your vertical leap aware jump is the most effective

lot of my friends are so good at jumping after they've finished working on aware jump.

i'm not really into jumping but this one is really effective. the website is www.aware-jump.com

the dude is from macedonia and has helped a lof gus it can help you.

just thought that might help.

peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.