Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a dozen local Eugene riders from the Deciples of Dirt rode 25 miles on the Bunchgrass trail from upper Eagle creek rd to Oakridge. Almost everyone but me were veterans of the 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff.

We were shuttled up on the short bus. There were a few ss riders in the group besides me. General Coonskins led the ride on his Vulture ss. The group split up early on, I was the least fit of the group and got to bring up the rear.

The trail was recently cleared of logs by Scott Taylor and many other volunteers. The first few miles, just cleared by the youth corp. There were several miles through an old burn area that was completly over grown. Everyone did a fair amount of walking.

This was the most difficult trail I have ridden in Oregon. It has many super steep switchbacks that were impossible for me to clean. I stopped a lot to rest and take pics, I found a little pool along the trail to cool off and I filtered some water.

Some of us went swimming in Salmon Creek after the ride, we all regrouped at Trail Head Cafe for beer and stories. No one was injured and we didn't have any serious mechanicals.
I went over the bars once while trying to turn my shock on and ride one handed.

Todd drove the bus back to Oakridge after doing a solo ride around Waldo Lake. He had a nice time. My ride time to complete the 25 miles was 4 1/2 hours, but I spent 7 hours total on the trail. I rode my 1fg, but walked a lot. If you like epic rides with extreme difficulty, Bunchgrass will work you. Great veiws of the snow capped Cascades the whole way.

Thanks to all the volunteers we have another great trail to ride in the Oakridge area.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More steep switchbacks

After the switchbacks of death comes more nasty switchbacks on Heckletooth. Dry summer conditions made the trail very loose. I walked most of the nasty ones. Bert nearly cleaned them all, he says riding rigid helps his control in steep switchbacks.

After a cool swim in the creek we headed into Oakridge for beer and food. Good times.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lef-t said:
IRiley drops off the top of Heckletooth, the next few miles are very steep.

Spin and coast into Oakridge, 32x20 is a lot of work on the rd.

The skins Vulture.
Nice pics, Tom.
What are you up to next week? I have some rides going sunday-wednesday.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to hook up with you soon

shiggy??? said:
Nice pics, Tom

What are you up to next week? I have some rides going sunday-wednesday.
I'm off Sunday and Monday now. My scheduled days off change a lot. I'm interested in riding near Indigo and Timpanogas Lakes and doing some of the trails around there. Mosqitos could be an issue though. What are your plans?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lef-t said:
I'm off Sunday and Monday now. My scheduled days off change a lot. I'm interested in riding near Indigo and Timpanogas Lakes and doing some of the trails around there. Mosqitos could be an issue though. What are your plans?
Still pretty loose. One of the Cailifornicators from this board is coming up to ride. Give me a call at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.