Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
when riding down a bumpy hill and not pedaling the chain is obvioulsy not taught or tight because im not pedaling. when this happens the bottom section of my chain rattles against the chainstay. i was wondering if this was bad for the bike/chain, and if it is what should i do about it. also does anyone know a website that has good videos of skills??

also what would you recommend i do about pedals (platform..cage?...clipless) (i don't really want clipless becuase my foot is growing rapidly and i don't wnat to buy shoes every year)

thanks for you help

·
I live to bike
2,428 Posts
chain slap

yes, a common problem. cut an old tube and wrap around the chainstay, tie with zip tie. Or buy a lizard skins chainstay guard or something similar--will help keep chain from scraping the paint.

trackstand, I believe is just standing still, no wheelie. If not ready to go clipless, att least get toe clips on your pedals. They will really help, since you will be able to pedal full circle instead of just push down on the front side.

trailblazer said:
when riding down a bumpy hill and not pedaling the chain is obvioulsy not taught or tight because im not pedaling. when this happens the bottom section of my chain rattles against the chainstay. i was wondering if this was bad for the bike/chain, and if it is what should i do about it. also does anyone know a website that has good videos of skills??

also what would you recommend i do about pedals (platform..cage?...clipless) (i don't really want clipless becuase my foot is growing rapidly and i don't wnat to buy shoes every year)

and one last question, is a trackstand when you like do a wheelie and hold it there without moving???

thanks for you help

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
trailblazer said:

thanks for you help
http://www.trials-online.com

Most mountian bikers only use a handful of those skills. Trials guys are superhuman!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
answers

on bumpy descents, shift to the big ring and the second largest rear cog, to increase chain tension.
short cage derailleur provide more chain tension than long cage ones.
with many derailleurs, it's possible to increase the cage's spring tension by removing the cage and repositioning the spring to a different anchor hole, one that increase the coil spring's wrap.
try PowerGrips on your pedals. easier to enter and exit than toe straps. and you never have to fiddle with tightening or loosening them for various conditions, as you do with toe straps. and no toe clips to break. they're all I use for MTBing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ditch the big ring, get a dual ring chainguide. Get a short cage der., and get your chain to the biggest cogs....and take out most of the links, or ask a lbs to. Just get the chain tension pretty tight, but not so tight you snap the chain. It should give you pretty good chain tension. As for pedals....get what feels right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
try PowerGrips on your pedals. easier to enter and exit than toe straps. and you never have to fiddle with tightening or loosening them for various conditions, as you do with toe straps. and no toe clips to break. they're all I use for MTBing.[/QUOTE]

^ ^ ^ what exactly are the power grips and where can i find them online

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
First the upper part of the chain usually hits the top of the chain stay. Just wrap it(the chain stay that is) with an old tube, zip tie it and forget it.

Second just buy some Zu-Zu pedals by Sun Ringle and some good skate board shoes. Then grab some soccer shin pads because when those pedals zip around without your foot on it your shins will take a licking. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sounds more like you're either afraid of clipin pedals or just to cheap to buy the shoes and pedals. Been riding them for years with no problems. It ain't rocket science. It's patience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
you can ruin a chain by staying in "extreme" gears too long (ie big gear in front and back). the chain is at a huge angle and bends the crap out of them, and its generally something you don't want to do. just get some electric tape or something and wrap it around where your chain is hitting... it looks like crap (if your bike isn't black) but it stays on for years and its cheap and easy.

bulC said:
on bumpy descents, shift to the big ring and the second largest rear cog, to increase chain tension.
short cage derailleur provide more chain tension than long cage ones.
with many derailleurs, it's possible to increase the cage's spring tension by removing the cage and repositioning the spring to a different anchor hole, one that increase the coil spring's wrap.
try PowerGrips on your pedals. easier to enter and exit than toe straps. and you never have to fiddle with tightening or loosening them for various conditions, as you do with toe straps. and no toe clips to break. they're all I use for MTBing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts