Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there somthing i can do to prevent this. Tires were low enough that i though i could feel them hitting the rims now and again.

But this trail was so bumpy and my bike was making so much noise it was embareassing not to mention that it jumped gears a couple times. Jumped right back to the right gear right after, but still slowed me down. It was hard keeping up the the FS bikes I was riding with.

Any adjustments i can do?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is there somthing i can do to prevent this. Tires were low enough that i though i could feel them hitting the rims now and again.

But this trail was so bumpy and my bike was making so much noise it was embareassing not to mention that it jumped gears a couple times. Jumped right back to the right gear right after, but still slowed me down. It was hard keeping up the the FS bikes I was riding with.

You can put a chain guide on the bike with the help of a ISCG adaptor if your frame doesn't have tabs, but FS is the long term anwser.

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
The only thing I can think to suggest is going to a wider rim like the Salsa Gordo and adding a higher volume tire. Also, tighten up on the derailler tension and maybe remove a couple of links on your chain.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
There isn't much you can do to get your bike better at this sort of thing without spending money. Most obvious is to make sure you aren't in the small chainring when you enter the rough stuff. After that, shortening the chain or adding B tension can both mess up the way your bike shifts, so I wouldn't recommend that without knowing what you're doing.

Slap a chainstay protector on and if it's still bothering you, get rid of the big ring put on a bashguard and shorten the chain to an appropriate length for a two ring setup. After that, you're looking at chainguide territory.

Also; pump your tires back up so that you don't hit your rims anymore. That's not the way to solve this problem. Maybe higher volume tires could help but that depends on what your frame will fit and what volume your tires currently are.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts

This is why people say that riding a hard tail will make you a better rider...

You have to learn how to ride the bike smoothly, popping the rear wheel over and around obstacles...

A FS bike allows you to be fair less careful about doing this than a hard tail...

So buckup ride hard and learn how to control your bike better.

·
Class Clown
3,773 Posts
What rims/tires do you ride and at what PSI?

Chain length - Add 2 links with the chain on both the largest sprocket and the largest chainring. (without going through the rear derailleur).

How old is your rear derailleur? It is possible to adjust an internal spring to increase tension (you can see pics on parktool's site). In fact take a good look at their rear derailleur adjustments as it's a necessary skill.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tires much have been around 25-to 30 . It was only on parts i mesed up on the i thought i felt the rim.
Im 175lb so not to hard on the tires. Already have a home made chain stay. It was a fast trail and i may have been near the bottom of the rings and i have always wondered if the chain is to long, seems to have a lot of side to side play in it.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Shift into your big ring/big cog combination. You should still have a little bit of slack being taken up by the rear derailleur, but not much at all.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing

The most important thing you can do has already been mentioned - ride in a bigger chain ring. (And pump up your tires. You're going to make mistakes, it's just a matter of time until you get a pinch flat if you ride them so soft you bottom a lot.)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Many things can cause skipping gears. Here are some that may help you figure it out. Sometimes it's a combination of things - nothing is bad enough on its own, but when you combine several there is a problem.

- new chain on old cassette - if you just changed your chain and your cassette is worn, it will skip
- improper adjustment of derailleur
- derailleur cable issues that make the derailleur cable sticky (burrs, freying, dirt inside housing, etc.)
- shifter issues/problems
- chain length
- dirt
- teeth missing or very worn on cassette
- bent derailleur hanger
- broken derailleur

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
The trails around here are extra rooty so I know exactly what you are talking about and really there isn't much that can be done about it. In fact the best solution is to keep pedaling to keep the chain tensioned but this is often easier said than done. Riding smoother is also a good approach but there are many portions of trails where this is impossible because of the amount of roots, spread wheel length apart, they really kill your momentum!

I'm all hears for anybody with a solution on how to better handle such conditions!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm all hears for anybody with a solution on how to better handle such conditions!
Go back to an 8-speed drivetrain. The wider spacing between the rear cogs makes it harder for the chain to jump off in the bumpy stuff. This is part of why I still run an 8-speed drivetrain on my bikes, it can handle more abuse with less maintenance than a 9 or 10-speed setup.

Or you could go all the way and singlespeed it. :D

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think im pretty good at soaking up what i can. The bike is only 3 months old so as far as worn out parts go, i think they are ok. But it could use a good cleaning and relube. I will try the big ring, that makes good sence.

Thanks

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Go back to an 8-speed drivetrain. The wider spacing between the rear cogs makes it harder for the chain to jump off in the bumpy stuff. This is part of why I still run an 8-speed drivetrain on my bikes, it can handle more abuse with less maintenance than a 9 or 10-speed setup.

Or you could go all the way and singlespeed it. :D
I don't have a problem with the chain skipping, I have a problem with the momentum I lose...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.