Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Bullit frame which has a BB that I can't use (I have XT cranks) and got the following message:

"As I was disassembling the bike I found the bottoom bracket didn't want to come out. Well after 2 days of trying I got it out. The problem is the thrads on one side of the shell are damaged. Looks like your purchase is off and I dont have a frame to rebuild. Needless to say I'll paypal your money back."

Just wanted to post it up here before anything happened. I was looking forward to that frame. :madman:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
If it's bust, it's bust. You could ask him to describe exactly what the problem is, maybe send you some pictures, so you can see if/how it's repairable. It's impossible to say what he's done to it, though ihatemybike's suggestion was also my first thought.
Get the guy to clarify what the damage is before you make any decisions.
Peace,
Steve

·
Registered
511 Posts
Take the money (back) and RUN!

If the threads are boogered, you're better off looking for another frame. Accept his offer and get your money back. He should have disassembled the frame BEFORE he offered it for sale.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It's likely that someone didn't grease the threads on the BB cups when they installed them and they galled the bearing cup threads trying to remove it. There is still a 50/50 chance that it just cleaned the threads off the BB cup and filled the threads in the BB shell with waste aluminium, so they could be chased and cleaned up with no damage to the BB shell. The BB shell is actually quite a hard aluminium. But as the others have said, that should be the sellers problem now.

What you could do is suggest he take it to a bike shop that has the proper tools for chasing the threads in the BB shell and see what it looks like after they try to clean it up. If the shell threads survived, then he will be relieved. But you might be relying on your PayPal buyer protection if you went ahead with the purchase.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Why would you EVER want to pay for a frame you KNEW was damaged, regardless of whether you thought there was a chance you could repair it? It's damaged goods, you don't want it. Don't even take the chance.. there are plenty of other similar frames out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WAIT!!! Listen to Rocky Up Hill. You CAN have the BB Shell Retapped at shop! Seriously, as long as it's not too bad, a good shop mechanic can recut the threads so you can install a new BB on it. Sometimes if the thread is too big, they'll put this stuff call the a healy coil, which makes up for the difference in the gaps of the threads. That service cost around $50.

I know because I've done the same thing myself.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
fueleater said:
WAIT!!! Listen to Rocky Up Hill. You CAN have the BB Shell Retapped at shop! Seriously, as long as it's not too bad, a good shop mechanic can recut the threads so you can install a new BB on it. Sometimes if the thread is too big, they'll put this stuff call the a healy coil, which makes up for the difference in the gaps of the threads. That service cost around $50.

I know because I've done the same thing myself.
Why would he even chance it? Why spend 50 bucks, deal with shipping the frame, and possibly getting a bike that was worthless when he could just call the whole deal off?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Yeah, BB thread damage is not always a reason to avoid a frame. Sometimes it is irreversible and beyond salvage, but more often it can be cleaned up and used for years. And the best thing is, when the frame is damaged you can often get it for hundreds less and spend $20 getting it fixed.

I think you made the right decision, enjoy!

JMH

mkiv808 said:
Bike shop fixed it no problem, it's on its way to me. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.