Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gimme my MOJO!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been weighing my bike at the LBSs digital hanging scale all this while. While I notice that the scale seems a little off, I always thought I had a 24lb bike. Today I got an al-cheapo plastic spring loaded fish scale.

It read 26 lbs.

Bummer...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I bought a fish scale and it was off by 20 %, they are inaccurate pieces of junk. Of course it read high because that is what fisherman want to to see.

You need to buy a digital sclae if you want accuracy.

The bathroom scale works pretty good too.

·
Gimme my MOJO!
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By bathroom scale, I guess you mean the weight-of-bike+rider-minus-weight-of-rider trick?

Tried that before. It told me I had a 30lb bike!!!

GearHead said:
I bought a fish scale and it was off by 20 %, they are inaccurate pieces of junk. Of course it read high because that is what fisherman want to to see.

You need to buy a digital sclae if you want accuracy.

The bathroom scale works pretty good too.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Dang....

leleklegrunt said:
By bathroom scale, I guess you mean the weight-of-bike+rider-minus-weight-of-rider trick?

I hope my scale is showing heavier than real. It says my Stumpy is 29 lbs! Then again, I got fatty winter tires, fenders, etc. I was hoping in race mode it was gonna be 25 lbs, but it came out to 26-26.5 or so

·
Registered
774 Posts
Alpine Scale

I saved a few $$ and bought a factory second diret from feedback sports ( it has a little two tone color) and it's with in 20 to 30 grams on complete bikes averaging 20 to 24 lbs this is conpared to a scale used to count electrical components that cost around $2500.00 dollars

Also is the same 20-30 grams when compared to weighing all the parts up individually on a gram scale !

links & reviews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/ultimate_scale

www.feedbacksports.com

720-514-9057

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
leleklegrunt said:

Your methodology must be flawed. You should be able to get within +/- 0.5 lbs using this method. Are you sure that you weren't leaning forward to read the scale or holding the bike in front of you when doing this?

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Spin Cycle said:
I saved a few $$ and bought a factory second diret from feedback sports ( it has a little two tone color) and it's with in 20 to 30 grams on complete bikes averaging 20 to 24 lbs this is conpared to a scale used to count electrical components that cost around $2500.00 dollars

Also is the same 20-30 grams when compared to weighing all the parts up individually on a gram scale !

links & reviews

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/ultimate_scale

www.feedbacksports.com

720-514-9057
Thanks for the information. I ordered one of them yesterday, pretty good deal on the "seconds".

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
if you do the bodyscale trick, make sure you

- dont stand on a carpet or any other soft ground
- shoulder the bike or place it right above you. Holding the bike aside will result in improper results
- stand centered on the scale

the most accurate scale can be found at postal offices, which is where i weigh my bikes. They usually have 20 g increments and can handle bikes that are way beyond 20 kg :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.