Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm bummed. I have been running 2.35 tires on my 5Spot and enjoying them terribly. But after a sidewall cut in my rear tire today, during a run to the LBS before it closes, I had to quickly decide on either a 2.1 Maxxis HighRoller or 2.35 Maxxis DHr, and decided to get the 2.1 HighRoller, due to fear that the DH-oriented Minion would just be way too slow. But now that it is on my 5Spot, it looks tiny as compared to the front.

- Has anyone else tried running a smaller tire in the back on a 5spot? What is your experience?
- Does anyone have an experience with either the 2.1 Maxxis HighRoller or 2.35 Maxxis DHr or a 5spot?
- Is the DHr also good for standard trail riding?

Thanks!!!
Tal ;)

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
I've been running a Kenda Karma 2.0 'Stick-e' on the back of my spot with real good results. Yeah, it looks narrow, but it works well. I wouldn't worry so much about the size of the tire, just get what works best for the conditions you're riding in.
FWIW, I'm currently running a Kenda BG 2.35 (loaner) on the front also with really good results.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
No worries. I run a tiny roll-x s works 2.0" in the back with either a 2.5 or 2.35 nevegal in the front. I recently (yesterday) sliced my poor roll-x down the side wall on a rock and its now in the trash. So today I ran 2.5 front 2.35 back with heavy DH tubes and slime MAN!!!!! I added 5 pounds to my bike in rubber!!!! Boy can I feel it! My legs where hurt'n midway through the ride. Seriously slow rollers. I even had to pedal down hill to go fast! Anyways, the moral of the story is don't take your wallet with you when you visit any south of the border hookers and you save weight and pedal faster with a smaller rear tire.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Spotty tires

I tried a bunch of different smaller tires( 2.1 conti vert, 2.1 ritchy zmax,2.1 Spec rol x etc.etc) that I allready had and didn't like them in comparison to some larger choices. I found I prefered the Schwalbe racing ralph 2.25 and 2.4 at 545g (512g on my scale) and 590g so theyre light with a nice row of low resistance tread blocks down the middle. The 2.3 vert pro's good the 2.4 Mutano raptor is another I like. The weight of these tires doesn't very much from many 2.1's and the extra air volume and serface area works better for me without a big weight penalty.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,
I finally decided to replace the new 2.1 Highroller with a Conti Gravity 2.3, and try to sell it. Not bummed anymore... Great first impressions. The fun is back!

Cheers!!
Tal

·
Registered
62 Posts
Against the grain

I purchased a set of the Hutchison Python Lite UST tires for really cheap. $15 each and figured what the heck it was worth a try. They're only 2.0's. Mounted them last night on my 5-spot (I know it is sac-religious for these on the spot) with a scoop of stans in each tire. So I did my standard morning before work ride today. The ride is a decent technical decent that has sharp rocky sections where I stay back and just roll through. Some fun jumps and small drops and lots of cornering. It also has 2 long climbs. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. They obviously climb well and accellerate well. I was thinking I was going to hate them, lose traction and get squirly in the corners. They gripped the dry hard rocky and semi-loose rocy surface very well. I gradually increased my speed into the corners and never did get them to break traction. So am I nuts or what? Anyway, I am going to take the plunge and spend some extra dough on some fatter tires and see what I am missing out on but still waiting for Bikezilla to complete his testing and full write up. For me (190 with gear) I run around 34 psi and use a scoop of stans (especially with these tires).

BTW. I am not a very tire savy person, so take it for what it is worth. I am coming off of Panaracer Fire 2.1 UST's which is my point or reference. I pinch flatted these tires in multiple locations in both tires on this same ride for their virgin voyage. So I was not too impressed with that. When I used a 1.5 scoop of Stan's they were fine.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
49flatfish said:
I purchased a set of the Hutchison Python Lite UST tires for really cheap. $15 each and figured what the heck it was worth a try. They're only 2.0's. Mounted them last night on my 5-spot (I know it is sac-religious for these on the spot) with a scoop of stans in each tire. So I did my standard morning before work ride today. The ride is a decent technical decent that has sharp rocky sections where I stay back and just roll through. Some fun jumps and small drops and lots of cornering. It also has 2 long climbs. I was actually very pleasantly surprised. They obviously climb well and accellerate well. I was thinking I was going to hate them, lose traction and get squirly in the corners. They gripped the dry hard rocky and semi-loose rocy surface very well. I gradually increased my speed into the corners and never did get them to break traction. So am I nuts or what? Anyway, I am going to take the plunge and spend some extra dough on some fatter tires and see what I am missing out on but still waiting for Bikezilla to complete his testing and full write up. For me (190 with gear) I run around 34 psi and use a scoop of stans (especially with these tires).

BTW. I am not a very tire savy person, so take it for what it is worth. I am coming off of Panaracer Fire 2.1 UST's which is my point or reference. I pinch flatted these tires in multiple locations in both tires on this same ride for their virgin voyage. So I was not too impressed with that. When I used a 1.5 scoop of Stan's they were fine.
I race these tires and love them. The only way I would run 1000g+ tires is if I was shuttling...so I will never run 1000g+ tires. I am reluctant to go over the 750g mark.

PS Where did you get them for $15?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hutchison Python Lite UST tires

Great to hear such a good report on these tyres. I recently purchased a couple of these for a few long distance cross country races that I will be doing, but as yet they are still hanging in the shed untouched.

I normally run a Geax Sedona 2.25 on the back and a UST Sturdy 2.25 on the front. I am very happy with that combination so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.