Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to switch out my Hammerschmidt on my 2010 DB Mission to go back to 1x9 for a bit while I serviced the HS and when I went to remove the BB I noticed that although the drive side pulled out like butter the non drive side had seized. BAD.

I couldn't get it to move one way or the other, and when it did finally move it was like moving a train through a lake of molasses in January. And then I found out why when I finally got it out, the cup had cross threaded when I installed it. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP- are you frigin kidding me!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!! I have never cross threaded a BB ever (until now), and I had been running it like that for a while on some really hard rides without knowing (Enchilada in MOAB being the worse). I was pissed, at myself mostly but this sucked royally!

The threads on the drive side of the BB are gone. GONE!!!!! ....sob....I sat on my shop stool my mind completely frozen, I was done, no riding for me this week, what was I going to do?

Then I realized hey I get to buy a new frame, sure I am going to pay for it with the wife but I GET TO BUY A NEW FRAME NOW!!!!!! Sweet!

First I am going to call Diamondback and see if they have some type of replacement, then I am going to look into these frames:
  • Transition Covert - this is right in the range money and handling of the bike I want next
  • GT Force - Owned GT before, loved iDrive, the Force frame is a solid beast and it has a replaceable BB pivot area in case I cross thread that f'er again.
  • Intense Tracer VP - if I could afford the Carbine it would be on this list but I cant so the Tracer is it
  • Giant Reign - buddy owned one like to give it a try
  • Specialized Enduro - been on the wish list since 2008 BUT never pulled the trigger.

So we will see what DB has to say and then go from there. BUT the moral of the story is that there is almost always a silver lining to bad news you just got to work it right, sometimes squint your eyes, stand on your head and then bam!.... everything comes into perspective.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Are you sure your frame is shot? I'd think it would be worth taking down to the LBS to see if they can chase the threads and maybe clean them up enough to be used.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
DB's customer service has blown ass lately. I wouldn't expect anything for cross threading it yourself. Good luck... those coverts are sweet. Just saying.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pfox90- I hear ya sometimes a company has its bad moments....but I did speak to DB and was completely honest, told them I was looking to buy a new front triangle if they had one and they worked me a pro deal that I am very tempted to take it. They were super easy to work with and the deal would be for a 2012 Mission Pro frameset, which has the 142/12 rear end, comes the required thru bolt hub which I can lace, and an RS 125 Reverb, new RP23 and headset. Thats a pretty dang good deal. heck I could sell the Reverb and recoup some cost if I wanted.

liquidmantis- I will take it to the shop just to be sure but I am not holding my breath. Over an inch plus of threads are completely gone, I have never seen that happen. Not even in the worst cross threaded BB at the shop I worked at years ago (which was user error like- I still want to punch myself in the face).

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Yeah, we sell them and they have been shipping out bikes pretty poorly and when I call half the time I don't get an answer, send an email sometimes don't get a reply, ask them to send me a part-sometimes never get it lol! I like what DB sells and that is good you were able to get something worked out.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
there's a 2009 5 spot on ebay right now for $850.

Reactions: pfox90

·
Clyde
260 Posts
You could use some liquid weld for one last replacement on the BB for one last hurrah. Perhaps a DH level BB for reliability until you find the replacement you are looking for.

LS

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LuckyS I actually did get the BB shell back in and am going to ride it Saturday and see what happens, not much worse can happen. And the non drive side bearing cup is already pretty burly on the hammerschmidt so hopefully good to go.

Julie not sure what you are asking but I think a lighter person could get away with riding the frame for a while but they could never remove that BB cup again which means they would have to live with the hammerschmidt.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just told my wife what I had found pricing wise and informed her of the price on the DB Pro frame and she said...................yes! Whatever I felt like doing..... sweet!!!!!!!!

Now I am wondering if its one of those "No honey I'm fine" answers that men get when things are anything but fine......hmmmmm............

Well thought about that moral dilemma long enough to know the only thing to is full steam ahead and get it done while the getting is good.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
So I just told my wife what I had found pricing wise and informed her of the price on the DB Pro frame and she said...................yes! Whatever I felt like doing..... sweet!!!!!!!!

Now I am wondering if its one of those "No honey I'm fine" answers that men get when things are anything but fine......hmmmmm............

Well thought about that moral dilemma long enough to know the only thing to is full steam ahead and get it done while the getting is good.
do it now and apologize later if you have to. apology + new bike is way better.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used to sell DBs and while they are/were known more for their Dept store lower end bikes the higher end stuff they've come out with in the past few years are really frickin nice. I too am tempted by the Mission Pro frameset. Love what they've done. They were always easy to work with. They always sent me the parts I needed in a timely manner.

I'd toss the new mission frame up against just about any other frame in its class.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts