Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is one in my LBS... pristine condition. are they being sold again?
btw ... i found it to be on the heavy side of things.
also i read somewhere about trouble w/ the BB bearings.
what's the whole deal?

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
They aren't being manufactured again at least as of talking to them six months ago. Could have been a NOS piece that Bullseye they had hanging around. The bearings often had some play, which didn't make everyone love them.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
they were actually light for their time. I think some later square taper cranks were able to match the weight by using flimsy arms and a ti bb.

The Bullseyes did have a little play (like thier hubs) but were very stiff. Or at least they felt that way.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Their bearings sucked. They had way too much clearance for the application. I have a set in the basement that have at most a few hundred miles on them and you can take and rock the outer race nearly a mm back and forth - and they were nearly that loose new.

But the were really light for their time like FB said and available in crazy long lengths.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
OK. I consider myself somewhat of a info source for Bullseye crank info... I have been running them since 1989 in one form or another and am currently running them on 2 of my Yeti bikes.

Yes, they are heavy. How heavy... Well, if you have to ask...

Yes there are adapters that will work with Shimano and others (can you say Chris King?) outboard bearings. I am currently running a set of Generation 3 with the Desperado shims on my ARC AS and I can say that this setup removes all play inherent with the older Bullseye bearing setup. I am also aware that Gil_m over at Retrobike makes shims. Although, I have not used them I do know that they are a bit cheaper in price. If you are going to run these cranks, do yourself a favor and have a local machine shop fab you up some bushings to replace the multiple washers that are used on either side for spindle adjustment. Ditch the rubber o-ring seals.

I am using Bullseye threaded bearings on my 89 FRO build with Generation 1 cranks that came off a 89 Manitou prototype bike (see Picture Friday thread for pics). Yes, there is play with the original bearings and they are not going to last you a lifetime, but that is the price you pay if you want to play the "period specific" game with this particular component. If you are thinking of using Gen 2 with original bearings I suggest an old IRD alloy "spindle bolt" which does wonders keeping the play to a minimum. Good luck finding one of these much loved and coveted pieces of history.

Gen 2 + spiders are available from Bullseye, to my understanding in both single and triple 110. Generation 1 spiders are currently available in 2 styles, however they are "bmx" single ring 110. If you are resourceful you can do what I did and modify them to work with triples. Although Bullseye may not be actively producing product, they are leaking out a few "bmx" sets through that old love/hate outlet called eBay. It is my understanding that Bullseye is making a major push to bring back production of their products, including cranks. The much maligned customer service experienced in the past seems to have been solved. At least in my case. I give them 3 stars.

If you are interested, do yourself a favor and drop them a line. You may be surprised at the new attitude of this much loved vintage company.

All things equal, Bullseye cranks are much like any cantankerous period part... think IRD switchbacks. If the time is taken to ensure proper set-up they work and are a nice piece of history to have hanging off your vintage ride.

There, I've said my piece.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
The IRD Bullseye Keeper worked wonders in keeping the cranks from working loose(r). I ran one on my Avalanche back in 89 when I first started using Bullseye cranks. Such a fantastic idea that Bullseye eventually incorporated the concept into the cranks to begin with. And yeah, like Hairstream wrote, good luck finding one these days.

·
Visitor
781 Posts
DoubleCentury said:
...next CNC project. Just lovely.

If we're not snowed in tomorrow.... I'm scrounging up all my loose 175 cranks to take down to the shop and have a weigh off - Bullseye Gen1 vs. Gen 3 vs. M730 vs. Compact Revolution vs. Kooka vs. White vs. XC MD vs. RSR. My only problem is I will have to bring a BB and the Bullseye bearings + the washers, too. I guess.

My idea of Winter fun.

No wagering, please. :p

Edit: Yeah, I was being a bit fasecious about the weight. Thanks for bird doggin' me and keeping it real FB.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
hairstream said:
...next CNC project. Just lovely.

If we're not snowed in tomorrow.... I'm scrounging up all my loose 175 cranks to take down to the shop and have a weigh off - Bullseye Gen1 vs. Gen 3 vs. M730 vs. Compact Revolution vs. Kooka vs. White vs. XC MD vs. RSR. My only problem is I will have to bring a BB and the Bullseye bearings + the washers, too. I guess.

My idea of Winter fun.

No wagering, please. :p

Edit: Yeah, I was being a bit fasecious about the weight. Thanks for bird doggin' me and keeping it real FB.
haha. sorry man. musta missed the sarcasm.

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
173 Posts
Thats not heavy

Ad 100g for the BB on this one

Rimed out the inner rings of a 22mm Dia BMX BB. Works fine and is looking better than a hollow tech.

You must be smoking tons of **** to do such a **** work (Desperado).

BTW it passed Swiss Customs in the hemp tea box which had a strong distinctively smell.:D

They ride very well!

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
I've always loved their stuff and used to use it on my trials bikes in specific. I've run the cranks and hubs on various other bikes both on and off-road. I go my first set of pulleys around '82 and had them 10 years later. The play inherent in the BB bearings never bothered me because the general tolerances of all parts back in the day were pretty loose. in '98 I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds section here at MTBR for the cranks and ended up buying 5 sets, average price $15. Alas, I have nothing Bullseye left beyond my tee-shirt which is approaching college age.

·
1,529 Posts
hairstream said:
If we're not snowed in tomorrow.... I'm scrounging up all my loose 175 cranks to take down to the shop and have a weigh off

My idea of Winter fun.
Nothing like finishing that weekend day feeling like you truly accomplished something

:rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Guys,
I thought I could here my ears burning, I had some spacers machined up so I could run a set on my new 29"er and listed them on ebay when I sold off my old Bullseye bearings to pay for the machining.

I have about 10 sets available now and yes I am based in the UK, however this isn't a problem I am happy to post them over the pond as long as you happy to pay me using Paypal

I will post some pictures later, but they work a treat and can be used with MTB BB as well, not just the Dura-ace one

I charge 22 GBP per set including Airmail, if you would prefer "signed for" Airmail, it would be an additional 4.50 GBP

PM me or email direct ~ [email protected]

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Badbushido said "Rimed out the inner rings of a 22mm Dia BMX BB. Works fine and is looking better than a hollow tech."

So, let me get this straight...you reamed out the inner diameter of a 22mm bearing up to the 22.2mm of the spindle? Was this done at a machine shop? I've been trying to find a bearing that has a 22.2mm ID, but they don;t seem to exist...

I'd really like some more details on how you did this...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.