Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..Would it make sense to you to convert an all coil Bullit to air fork and shock?Now I have the 5th coil and Boxxer Ride.I was thinking about buying a lighter bike for trail riding like a Kona Dwag(found a good offer for a new one) or to make my Bullit lighter.I like the idea of a 66SL air fork and a Swinger 4W or Dhx Air on the back...What do you think?Buy lighter bike (but less capable on the dh ,not sure I am able to get used to the dawg..now I am spoiled in confidence with my Bullit) or put the Bullit on a diet to get around 36 lbs(mine weighs 42 with ,dh tires , now and I really cant pedal it for long climbs..I know many of you do it..).Bye

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
36 pounds???!!!

Jingleman said:
Hi..Would it make sense to you to convert an all coil Bullit to air fork and shock?Now I have the 5th coil and Boxxer Ride.I was thinking about buying a lighter bike for trail riding like a Kona Dwag(found a good offer for a new one) or to make my Bullit lighter.I like the idea of a 66SL air fork and a Swinger 4W or Dhx Air on the back...What do you think?Buy lighter bike (but less capable on the dh ,not sure I am able to get used to the dawg..now I am spoiled in confidence with my Bullit) or put the Bullit on a diet to get around 36 lbs(mine weighs 42 with ,dh tires , now and I really cant pedal it for long climbs..I know many of you do it..).Bye
Why would you want a boat anchor Bullit like that?...LOL! Seriously though you can build a very stout Bullit around 33 pounds without going too light on the parts build. I have a '99 and an '03 Bullit. I used to have them built up in two completely different setups...the '99 at 32.8lbs. and the '03 with a Monster T at 41lbs. I started noticing that there wasn't much I couldn't or wouldn't want to do on the lighter Bullit. The forks and components you can get nowdays are danged strong and very competent.

One of the biggest areas to drop weight without getting XC stupid is to get a set of CrossMax XL wheels. These things drop of ton of weight without getting too fragile. I'm obviously no Bender at my age, but I do try to ride over just about anything in the way and get some occasional air. Several of us around my area ride rough, rocky terrain and run these wheels all the time with absolutely no problems. I was surprised to find a couple of shop guys that I got to know a little at Moab were running these regularly on their bikes, and they were doing some decently rad stuff on theirs with no real problems. These wheelsets are fairly expensive, but if you put a set on your bike with a decently light 2.5 tire, you'll feel like you dropped 10lbs.

From there I'd move on to lighter suspension parts like an air shock and lighter fork. You don't have to go to an air fork, either. There are some very light 6" travel coil models available. That's a Fox Van 36 on that silver Bullit. There are currently two very good rear air shocks available in the the Manitou 4-Way Air and DHX Air, and of course you drop a full pound over a piggyback coil shock.

The rest of my components were all selected to be durable without being too heavy. Both of my bikes are now 6" in the front and 6.5" in the rear. These bikes are very capable of doing a lot more than I am capable of without breaking. I found out what you're thinking at the moment. A decently big hit frame with lighter components seems to make a better big hit trail bike than a lighter frame with the same components. I've gone both ways, and the stouter frame gives the bike an overall better handling with much more confidence for the rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TNC said:
Why would you want a boat anchor Bullit like that?...LOL! Seriously though you can build a very stout Bullit around 33 pounds without going too light on the parts build. I have a '99 and an '03 Bullit. I used to have them built up in two completely different setups...the '99 at 32.8lbs. and the '03 with a Monster T at 41lbs. I started noticing that there wasn't much I couldn't or wouldn't want to do on the lighter Bullit. The forks and components you can get nowdays are danged strong and very competent.

One of the biggest areas to drop weight without getting XC stupid is to get a set of CrossMax XL wheels. These things drop of ton of weight without getting too fragile. I'm obviously no Bender at my age, but I do try to ride over just about anything in the way and get some occasional air. Several of us around my area ride rough, rocky terrain and run these wheels all the time with absolutely no problems. I was surprised to find a couple of shop guys that I got to know a little at Moab were running these regularly on their bikes, and they were doing some decently rad stuff on theirs with no real problems. These wheelsets are fairly expensive, but if you put a set on your bike with a decently light 2.5 tire, you'll feel like you dropped 10lbs.

From there I'd move on to lighter suspension parts like an air shock and lighter fork. You don't have to go to an air fork, either. There are some very light 6" travel coil models available. That's a Fox Van 36 on that silver Bullit. There are currently two very good rear air shocks available in the the Manitou 4-Way Air and DHX Air, and of course you drop a full pound over a piggyback coil shock.

The rest of my components were all selected to be durable without being too heavy. Both of my bikes are now 6" in the front and 6.5" in the rear. These bikes are very capable of doing a lot more than I am capable of without breaking. I found out what you're thinking at the moment. A decently big hit frame with lighter components seems to make a better big hit trail bike than a lighter frame with the same components. I've gone both ways, and the stouter frame gives the bike an overall better handling with much more confidence for the rider.
Yes your are right..I had a Heckler with all the stuff I put on the Bullit frame and I have to say that the steeper seat tube and HT,,a nd everything else made me feel less safe even on relative easy obstacles.The point is that I would like to get a lighter bike but doing the same things I am used now.I dont like too much long forks that cant be shortened in travel(I have infacyìt a Boxxer Ride 2006..really really good)..I could imagine that the Van is a great fork but I think its fixed travel is big minus for a light fork you can actually climb on.What do you think about the 66LIght?..only 1 spring in one leg..Another one..the 66 SL...but again ,it has a fixed 170mm travel....There is also the obvious Talas36 but many compliant about its functionality..The new 160mm Talas may be works better perhaps
About the shock..I like the ideal tunabililty of them a lot..May be I would prefer the Manitou..since I have no compliants about stable platform shock like the 5th or Swinger with the less sensibility on small stuff everybody talks about..never felt that on this frame.But I have to say that I did not like the ProPedal system on one Vanilla I had.The Swinger may be is a tad cheaper..right?The option I am considering are these..selling the Bullit(..uhm...I know I will not do it..this bike is the best I have ever had) to get a light enduro bike like a CoilAir or a Specy Enduro to do everything(not a fan of Specialized though)..get it lighter, or buy a real light bike like the Dawg and keep them both as I said.
Uhmm..not in a rush anyway..just thinking about how I will spend all my hard earned money in the next future ..Bye!!

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Forks and shocks.

Jingleman said:
Yes your are right..I had a Heckler with all the stuff I put on the Bullit frame and I have to say that the steeper seat tube and HT,,a nd everything else made me feel less safe even on relative easy obstacles.The point is that I would like to get a lighter bike but doing the same things I am used now.I dont like too much long forks that cant be shortened in travel(I have infacyìt a Boxxer Ride 2006..really really good)..I could imagine that the Van is a great fork but I think its fixed travel is big minus for a light fork you can actually climb on.What do you think about the 66LIght?..only 1 spring in one leg..Another one..the 66 SL...but again ,it has a fixed 170mm travel....There is also the obvious Talas36 but many compliant about its functionality..The new 160mm Talas may be works better perhaps
About the shock..I like the ideal tunabililty of them a lot..May be I would prefer the Manitou..since I have no compliants about stable platform shock like the 5th or Swinger with the less sensibility on small stuff everybody talks about..never felt that on this frame.But I have to say that I did not like the ProPedal system on one Vanilla I had.The Swinger may be is a tad cheaper..right?The option I am considering are these..selling the Bullit(..uhm...I know I will not do it..this bike is the best I have ever had) to get a light enduro bike like a CoilAir or a Specy Enduro to do everything(not a fan of Specialized though)..get it lighter, or buy a real light bike like the Dawg and keep them both as I said.
Uhmm..not in a rush anyway..just thinking about how I will spend all my hard earned money in the next future ..Bye!!
The coil/air Marzocchis that are coming out are a neat idea IMO. That red Bullit pictured has a Z150SL with one leg modified with a Z150 HSCV cart and Z1FR1 coil spring. The dual air Doppio leg was left intact. This makes a very tuneable and plush fork while remaining relatively light.

The Manitou 4-Way Air isn't any cheaper than a DHX Air. I think you're right about the SPV style stable platforms shocks working really well on the Bullit design. I'm still split on the winner between this shock and the DHX Air, as I need more time on the DHX Air. I really like the Specialized Enduro/SX line, but that proprietary rear shock is still putting me off. If I'm getting a bike with a DHX shock, then I want full tuneability of the boost valve to get all the benefits that shock provides.

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
For your viewing pleasure...

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
show the picture of your monster bullit
LOL! What prompted that, SMT? Are you lusting after my Titec Hellbent seatpost and attached Barcalounger saddle? :D

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
TNC said:
LOL! What prompted that, SMT? Are you lusting after my Titec Hellbent seatpost and attached Barcalounger saddle? :D
nah......I got rid of the lounge seat on my ride and thick seat post...went with a Thompson and a WTB Lazer...dropped a pound

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Yeah, as you can tell..

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
nah......I got rid of the lounge seat on my ride and thick seat post...went with a Thompson and a WTB Lazer...dropped a pound
From my pics above, I did the same thing. I'll probably still use the Love Seat on certain trails at Moab. It has its benefits.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
TNC said:
From my pics above, I did the same thing. I'll probably still use the Love Seat on certain trails at Moab. It has its benefits.
I find it a problem of getting use too....you have this big seat to hold you when you ride then you go to a smaller seat and it feels weird and loose at high speeds...I just stick with the lighter seat

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Oh yeah.

CraigH said:
Do you still have/ride your Specialized?
In reality it's the most different bike I have. It seems to have an advantage on a tight trail where you have to do lots of quick manuevering.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
TNC said:
i am!!!! rofl!!!!

and i also found it kinda cool that on the pic that red posted or your silver bullit, and what you posted of it, the shock magically changed. :eek:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
This Bullit weighed 34 pounds and has some strong trailbike parts that could take a pounding like at a resort like Mammoth Mtn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
TNC said:

Ha! Now thats a real Texas size saddle!!! :D Perhaps a name change is in order, how about "The Bowie Saddle" designed for Texans! :D

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
JBsoxB said:
i am!!!! rofl!!!!

and i also found it kinda cool that on the pic that red posted or your silver bullit, and what you posted of it, the shock magically changed. :eek:
The chainguide also dissappears.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
can you run a 24 inch on a bullit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts