Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hey Guys - Just put a 66RC 170 mm on my 2002 Bullit and dang it's looking pretty slack. Has anyone actually measured the geometry of this set-up? As best I can tell, the HA is 66 deg or a little less and the BB height is nearly 16" :eek: . Isn't that BB height a little high? (that's a unloaded measurement right?) Wondering if I should get the fork changed to 150 mm. I know I could get a little more travel out of the rear and possible lift it up a little, thereby increasing the HA a degree but then the BB height will be even higher. BTW, I'm a 50:50 DH / free-rider and pedal uphill lots- not a racer or huckster. Appreciate any comments. Also, it that 170 -> 150 swap a DIY job? Thanks. Steve in Santa Cruz

Lastly - I'll confirm a previously reported weight - 7.3 lbs. Exactly same as my old Boxer. Amazing that Marz reports 6.59 lbs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
868 Posts
SCDHdude said:
:confused: Hey Guys - Just put a 66RC 170 mm on my 2002 Bullit and dang it's looking pretty slack. Has anyone actually measured the geometry of this set-up? As best I can tell, the HA is 66 deg or a little less and the BB height is nearly 16" :eek: . Isn't that BB height a little high? (that's a unloaded measurement right?) Wondering if I should get the fork changed to 150 mm. I know I could get a little more travel out of the rear and possible lift it up a little, thereby increasing the HA a degree but then the BB height will be even higher. BTW, I'm a 50:50 DH / free-rider and pedal uphill lots- not a racer or huckster. Appreciate any comments. Also, it that 170 -> 150 swap a DIY job? Thanks. Steve in Santa Cruz

Lastly - I'll confirm a previously reported weight - 7.3 lbs. Exactly same as my old Boxer. Amazing that Marz reports 6.59 lbs. :rolleyes:
I haven't done the measurements, but had a bullit and am now on a VPFree. Here's the math, which correlates to your experience.

Here are some axle to crown heights:
A-to-C 66 @170mm = 595mm a-to-c
Z1 @ 150mm = 538mm a-to-c
Slider @170mm = 540mm a-to-c

Now they may have tweaked the geometry a bit since 02 (mid 02 brought the big changes to the bullit), but Santa Cruz lists a 68d-69.3d headtube angle with a 544mm fork. This makes your 66 have a 55mm longer a-to-c, which is 2 inches. That will change your head tube angle by about 2d, so 66d sounds right in the "slack" setting and 67.3d in the "steep" shuttle setting.

They list a 14.1-14.8 inch bottom bracket with a 544mm fork. The 2 inches will affect the bb by about 1 inch. Therefore, 15.1 inch in the "slack" setting and 15.8 in the "steep" setting.

You can change the travel of your fork which will drop 20mm off the a-to-c. Marzocchi should be able to give you instructions and parts, so I'd call them. The other option would be to try to trade for a 150mm 05 Z1, since that will drop over 1.5 lbs, give you ETA and still take a lot of abuse.

Funny the 66 and the 888 are exactly the same wieght. Marzocchi list 6.2 lbs for the 66 w/o steerer. They don't mention that the monstrosity of a steel steerer weighs in at 1.1 lbs.

·
Registered
868 Posts
robsetsfire said:
You can change the travel of your fork which will drop 20mm off the a-to-c. Marzocchi should be able to give you instructions and parts, so I'd call them. The other option would be to try to trade for a 150mm 05 Z1, since that will drop over 1.5 lbs, give you ETA and still take a lot of abuse.
One note about ETA or Manitou's lower travel setting when using it on a Bullit. I have noticed that due to the change in the angles in the rear suspension that the Bullit tends to firm up in the back quite a bit when the front end is lowered. Several others have observed the same thing. My roommate has an old Bullit with a Z1 and there is a substantial difference in efficiency of the suspension action when the ETA is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Marz - they said it takes some special tools like a stanchion clamp. They will do it for $40 and shipping cost. I called the LBS too - they just send them out to Marz... I think I'll just run it for awhile. My buddies can call me a "slacker" now...

·
Registered
868 Posts
SCDHdude said:
I called Marz - they said it takes some special tools like a stanchion clamp. They will do it for $40 and shipping cost. I called the LBS too - they just send them out to Marz... I think I'll just run it for awhile. My buddies can call me a "slacker" now...
Yeah, you may like it with the slack angles, a lot of people do. I'm sure it will take a couple rides to get used to though.

I think all you need is an axle clamp to work on the fork. That's all I needed to work on my 888. I made one, but you can buy them too. Although, the $40 isn't that much and you will probably end up with an oil change out of it too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.