Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Bullit w/ 66RC2X right now and was thinking about switching the frame over to a 2007Stinky DLux w/Floating brake (DOPE system). Both have nice geometry, but I like the idea of Kona's floater, replaceable dropouts, more stand over, lower BB etc.
BUT, I like how the Bullit has treated me so far...am I forgetting anything?

What do you guys think? Is it worth the switch?

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
if your bike is trashed or is getting old, the stinky would serve you right, but if it is in nice shape, keep it til it breaks or something is wrong with it. then you can get a new bike.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm bias because I have the same frame. I splurged last year and got a new shock for it and couldn't be happier.

Plus, Brake Therapy makes a floating brake kit for the bullit, if that's really a concern.

So, spend a couple of bucks buy a new bearing kit (if you havn't replace them in over a year.) Maybe look for a fox 5.0 or a manitou 6 way if you still have the 5th element on there.
IF you still have the original 5th and havn't done anything to it. that will make a huge difference.

you didn't say anything about the shock, So, I'm just throwing out some idea's.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running a Roco RC on the Bullit. It's a great shock, much better than the 5th. There's nothing wrong with the frame at all, but I'm not fond of the floater Brake Therapy has for this model. First off, it's around $300 and I also hear it's a pain to remove the rear wheel -it needs special shims or something for different hubs. It also is in a high, vulnerable position. I like how Kona integrated the floater into the frame...clean. And it doesn't require special junk, so I can just use whatever wheels I want. My other main gripe of the Bullit is how high the BB is- I measured mine to be 15.5 inches!!! An inch lower would be better.
Anyway, the newer Stinky seems to be more developed than the older Bullit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I swapped from a Bullit to a suspension system almost identical to Kona (Turner). Very different ride for sure. I'd try one (rent @ DH area ?) That might help more than a forum ever could. Bottom line is both are great bikes. So, either way you are gonna have a good ride. Still some designs fit/mesh w/ a rider better. I'd go try it before you spend because the Bullit is a solid ride.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
santaheckler said:
I'm running a Roco RC on the Bullit. It's a great shock, much better than the 5th. There's nothing wrong with the frame at all, but I'm not fond of the floater Brake Therapy has for this model. First off, it's around $300 and I also hear it's a pain to remove the rear wheel -it needs special shims or something for different hubs. It also is in a high, vulnerable position. I like how Kona integrated the floater into the frame...clean. And it doesn't require special junk, so I can just use whatever wheels I want. My other main gripe of the Bullit is how high the BB is- I measured mine to be 15.5 inches!!! An inch lower would be better.
Anyway, the newer Stinky seems to be more developed than the older Bullit.
Have you tried adjusting the shock shuttle on the Bullit?
I have mine in the slack position with a 545mm axle to crown fork and a 8.5 X 2.5 shock The bb is at just under 15 inches.
It feels great.
You could also try a shorter stack headset or smaller rear tire to lower it a bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just built a 05 Bullit with 05 888RC and 5th element shock. I have the shuttle in the slack position and Risse crowns and I'm at 14.5" bb height.

The bike feels great to me, besides the rear shock.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are you guys measuring the BB? I measure from the floor to the center of the BB axle, not the bottom of the shell...
I have a buddy who owns a Stinky, so I will try that out fo sho.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
santaheckler said:
How are you guys measuring the BB? I measure from the floor to the center of the BB axle, not the bottom of the shell...
I have a buddy who owns a Stinky, so I will try that out fo sho.
I measured mine from the floor to the center of the axle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.