Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one help me pick which onr to get? I do down hill and urban with some jumps. right now i have a 5-5 bike a giant warp with manitou black and dh wheels (really solid) i have done 7" to flat and dont want to break any thing by doing bigger stuff. I like the 1.5 head set on the asx plus the linkage looks like it will make the rear end more solid. but i have seen the guys at the red bull rampage doing huge air on the bullit. two more things... first I have found that guys that ride the bullit are pricks (so far) and that Im 15 and will have to work hard for this bike I want it to be the right choice... thanks for any sugestions.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
bullit $1100

ASX $1300

that's a $200 savings. Seems to fit your major criteria.

and just so you know I am 33 and I had to work real hard for my bike too.

FWIW I love my bullit and would have a hard time justifying putting more money into a different frame because it works so well.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
K...this is how I would look at it:

AS-X: 1.5" headtube opens up fork possibilities and strengthens headtube, linkage system strengthens rear end and gives a more progressive suspension rate, adjustable travel (if you're into that sort of thing).

Bullit: :probably a bit cheaper...I can't think of what it would have over an ASX...some might say its a proven design, but I think the ASX has proven itself enough at this point

When you said 7" to flat, did you mean 7 feet? Cause you're not going to find a FR bike that does that consistently without breaking.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
dhbiker1988 said:
can any one help me pick which onr to get? I do down hill and urban with some jumps. right now i have a 5-5 bike a giant warp with manitou black and dh wheels (really solid) i have done 7" to flat and dont want to break any thing by doing bigger stuff. I like the 1.5 head set on the asx plus the linkage looks like it will make the rear end more solid. but i have seen the guys at the red bull rampage doing huge air on the bullit. two more things... first I have found that guys that ride the bullit are pricks (so far) and that Im 15 and will have to work hard for this bike I want it to be the right choice... thanks for any sugestions.
if you are only doing 7 inches to flat i wouldn't upgrade quite yet. :D :D
j/k, but it seems like you kinda like the yeti asx. IMO i would get the bullit just cause i was going to get one a while ago and think they are cool. 7feet to flat puts a lot of stress on your bike and components though, so don't do that too many times. good luck with finding a bike, you may also check the classifieds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sory I ment 7 feet small mix up haha I dont plan on doing that many big drops but I firured it would get people an idea of what kinda riding i do just in case thay had any other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Ridden both

And simply for the sake of being able to put a 7" SC fork up front, the ASX comes out ahead of the Bullit. Loved the bullit though, very, very similar rear travel feeling on both bikes. The ASX might be just a bit more stiff in the rear, but not by much. Cable routing better on the ASX, IMHO. Better color options on the Bullit, but I like my "gravel" basic color. Price, should be identical, and if you can't find a Yeti dealer to match a bullit price, give us a call... :D

If you wait a few weeks, we'll have a few that were ridden this summer, going out the door in our "pre-fall" employee bike sale. Great deals to be had there, from Turner 5-spots, to X-5's, Salty's, 575's, Morphines, ASX's, Blurs, and a whole bunch more.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
You know even though I own a bullit I have to say that the ASX just looks more right. The bullit looks less…"macho" I guess, smaller pipes and less manipulation and the head tube just looks better as well on the ASX. I would probably gotten one had the only test I had read at the time listed the weight at 44lbs built (the test in MBA where it was built with DH components and stuff). Also at the time the bullit was a well tested design and the ASX was new and untested over time. I suspect that it has held the test of time and the 1.5 option is nice, I still am weary of the prospective weight comparison.

Anybody know how a bullit vs ASX comparable spec weighin would be?

·
bored
168 Posts
Definitely an AS-X. IMO it's the perfect all-around freeride/light DH bike. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. The AS-X frame is about .5 lbs heavier (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=fullsuspensionframes), but it really isn't noticeable. And by the way, MBA's claim that the AS-X with the factory build kit (including single crown Sherman) weighs 42 lbs is bogus. Mine weighs around 38, and that's with light DH race parts and a Boxxer. The one AS-X that I rode with the factory freeride build kit actually felt a tiny bit lighter than mine.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Tully said:
Definitely an AS-X. IMO it's the perfect all-around freeride/light DH bike. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. The AS-X frame is about .5 lbs heavier (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=fullsuspensionframes), but it really isn't noticeable. And by the way, MBA's claim that the AS-X with the factory build kit (including single crown Sherman) weighs 42 lbs is bogus. Mine weighs around 38, and that's with light DH race parts and a Boxxer. The one AS-X that I rode with the factory freeride build kit actually felt a tiny bit lighter than mine.
yeah, they are the same people that said a VPfree with an 8lb dorado and DH parts was 34lbs...heh...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Santa Cruz Bullit!!! :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Marzocchi 66 doesnt use a 1.5 steerer, its strong enough that it doesnt need to. I think Marzocchi makes better quality forks than Manitou. :)

·
bored
168 Posts
mtb care bear said:
The Marzocchi 66 doesnt use a 1.5 steerer, its strong enough that it doesnt need to. I think Marzocchi makes better quality forks than Manitou. :)
The strength comes at the cost of the weight; Keith Bontrager once said, "Cheap, light, strong--pick two." Quality-wise, it all depends on what you're looking for and the terrain you ride, so let's not even go there. Some like Manitou, some like Marzocchi, some like both, and some like neither.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tully said:
The strength comes at the cost of the weight; Keith Bontrager once said, "Cheap, light, strong--pick two." Quality-wise, it all depends on what you're looking for and the terrain you ride, so let's not even go there. Some like Manitou, some like Marzocchi, some like both, and some like neither.
OH, SORRY... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.