Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'm guessing you have an 8.5 X 2.5 5th E, right? Your Bullit has the head tube gussets? I have an '03 later generation Bullit that came with that shock. I still think the 5th E works about as well as any coil shock on a Bullit. I've had two different sized DHX coils on my Bullit, and I don't think it worked as well as the 5th...the 5th's two compression adjusters are amazing IMO for tuning on a Bullit. The DHX coils had a tiny harsh spot that I could not tune out in the mid-stroke. A PUSH mod would have probably changed all of this on the DHX.

Because of the Bullit's suspension design, I think they perform better with a good stable platform shock. That's why I'd be leary of the excellent non-platform shocks like the Roco and CCDB...unless descending is the vast majority of your riding...as in "shuttle". If you have to do much pedaling, try to get a ride on a Bullit that has one of those shocks before laying down your money.

I've also used a Manitou 4-Way Air and a DHX-Air on the Bullit, and the DHX-Air has remained on the Bullit.

I think the 8.5 X 2.5 shock is the ideal size for the later model Bullits. I had an 8.75 X 2.75 DHX coil on my Bullit when it had an '02 Monster T installed and it worked very well. I'd only recommend that length of shock if you have a fairly tall fork with at least 7" of travel.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I purchased one of TNC's DHX coils for my 01' Bullit. The DHX replaced a 5th Element coil. I felt the 5th always felt sticky, kinda harsh even w/ a softer than required spring. The DHX feels more lively / responsive. I talked w/ Darren @ Push about 5th's and he was the one that coined the term for me ,"sticky " for the 5th's action. I think the DHX was a good improvment for rougher terrain.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNC said:
I'm guessing you have an 8.5 X 2.5 5th E, right? Your Bullit has the head tube gussets? I have an '03 later generation Bullit that came with that shock. I still think the 5th E works about as well as any coil shock on a Bullit. I've had two different sized DHX coils on my Bullit, and I don't think it worked as well as the 5th...the 5th's two compression adjusters are amazing IMO for tuning on a Bullit. The DHX coils had a tiny harsh spot that I could not tune out in the mid-stroke. A PUSH mod would have probably changed all of this on the DHX.

Because of the Bullit's suspension design, I think they perform better with a good stable platform shock. That's why I'd be leary of the excellent non-platform shocks like the Roco and CCDB...unless descending is the vast majority of your riding...as in "shuttle". If you have to do much pedaling, try to get a ride on a Bullit that has one of those shocks before laying down your money.

I've also used a Manitou 4-Way Air and a DHX-Air on the Bullit, and the DHX-Air has remained on the Bullit.

I think the 8.5 X 2.5 shock is the ideal size for the later model Bullits. I had an 8.75 X 2.75 DHX coil on my Bullit when it had an '02 Monster T installed and it worked very well. I'd only recommend that length of shock if you have a fairly tall fork with at least 7" of travel.
Thanks TNC. Yah, I have an 03 Bullit with a Pike 426 coil (just got and love it). My 5th probably needs serviced and I'm concerned about Progressive not making MTB shocks anymore. I weigh around 220 and have the 375 spring but still feels like I have too much sag. I have the preload ramped way down and the air at about 150. All other settings are according to the the guide. Should I get a different spring? How bad is it to have the preload almost to the end of the threads? It's still really compliant but I feel as though I'm getting a lot of bob when climbing. Thanks again...

T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.