Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Death By Snoo Snoo
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i am intense SL owner and am looking for a new bike. I have narrowed it down to the SLX or the bullit. I am curious about what your experiences are with this bike (bullit). How are the climbing aspects, descent and overall feel of the bike. If there are any SLX riders or previous owners i would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
A couple of good bikes there.

munkyspank said:
Hi there, i am intense SL owner and am looking for a new bike. I have narrowed it down to the SLX or the bullit. I am curious about what your experiences are with this bike (bullit). How are the climbing aspects, descent and overall feel of the bike. If there are any SLX riders or previous owners i would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks.
You mention two of my favorite bikes there. Don't have and never have had an SLX, but I appreciate a nice longer travel 4-bar in my older '00 Big Hit. I also have a couple of Bullits. Especially with the advent of stable platform shocks, I have not really found the Bullit to be lacking as a trail or big hit bike. I think 4-bar bikes with long travel have to get beefed up in the rear pivots, stays, and link area to have decent lateral rigidity. This adds a little weight over a similar single pivot. I'd say both bikes are really good bike. I believe the Bullit has a lighter frame, so it can probably be built up a little lighter. The Bullit is usually noticeably cheaper from most of the advertised prices that I see. Judging from my Big Hit, the SLX is probably a better descender under braking--off the brakes they're fairly equal. Climbing on technically tough terrain may go to the SLX also. It's pretty small, but the 4-bar Horst rear seems to stick to the ground just a tiny bit better when you're climbing on a rock strewn pitch-up. My Bullit definitely has more lateral rigidity than my '00 Big Hit, but I've not ridden an SLX to compare. The Bullit is a very simple bike--2 bearings at the pivot, and that's it. My '99 Bullit is still going strong. The '99 is built up as a big hit trail bike at 32lbs., and my '03 Bullit is a dual crown 36lb. setup. With stable platform 5th E's or Manitou 4-way air, both are very efficient climbers.

·
Registered
593 Posts
munkyspank said:
I have a 03 Bullit with a 150mm Sherman 05 Firefly. It is the perfect FR bike IMHO.

The Bullit is the most versitile mtb you can buy if you want to maintain FR capability.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Axis said:
I have a 03 Bullit with a 150mm Sherman 05 Firefly. It is the perfect FR bike IMHO.

The Bullit is the most versitile mtb you can buy if you want to maintain FR capability.
Nothing I can say more about the Bullit...All I need to do is get myself that 05 Firefly to replace my Junior T...

·
Registered
150 Posts
munkyspank said:
hi there munkyspank just poping to give my view the slx no idea at all i wanted one but could not get onr in the uk supplyers where pants at the time so in the end went for the bullit good choose belive me it climbs well and goes down really well not much more to say only that since then i now have a turner 5spot now there is a bike the ulitimate all round bike but only for hard xc/light freeride had this about 7 mounths now and still love it.
now to this week the bullit was on the wall of my local shop and my chamilian was redundent at home due to the spot so what the hell swap it all onto the bullit and ride
woke up this morning with real sun out side quite rare at the moment in the uk (it is only the summer after all)and rode the bullit is still a great machine goes up aaaand goes down.
so there you go guess i will stay with my bullit for a few weeks just for the hell of it!
so there you go hope this helps a bit just to let you know i ride mostly xc/fast tight single track with some smaller jumps you know 2/3 feet max if your like me but a bit skinnyer (i weigh about 16 stone) the turner is worth a look to.

ps my bullit comes in around about 32 pounds and the spot about 29.5 so not that much in it for a big un like me.any way good luck and enjoy what ever you buy.

bat on a bike (uk)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts