Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bullit BB

Hey The bullit takes a 68/113 (for triple chainring) and 68/118 (for chainduides)

and yes the bullit is out of production...which i am thankful of... it was way too hyped about and it was super flexy!

anyway hope this helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
umm, acutualy its not out of production, there are limited number of frames left, they have taken it off the line up for 06 to revamp it and make some changes.

this was the story told to me by rob when i talked to him in person . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Flex In It

Yeah sry guys but the bullit sux...4 the price there are much better less flexy stronger bikes out there...sure it isnt going to say santcruz on the side but there are better choices

i just checked my frame for cracks and it was fine put new barings in the frame and converted to a threw-axel hub and it still flexes like a *****... fortunetly i traded my frind for his giant dh comp...way nicer frame construction

late

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Robster, what year models?

RobsterCraw said:
mine isn't flexy, which is odd, because my friend's is.
As some have said the bearings could be an issue even if you don't feel it rattle in a stationary check. Additionally the year model can make a difference. My '03 is notably stiffer than my '99. I think most '99-'02 models will feel the same, and '03 and later models have stiffer tubing in a couple of key areas and a head tube gusset.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've always really liked the Bullit's but with the introduction of the Nomad I cant say as that I'de miss it, on the other hand I've found a brand new '05 frame for $1000can, think I might buy it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
zeeth2800 said:
Yeah sry guys but the bullit sux...4 the price there are much better less flexy stronger bikes out there...sure it isnt going to say santcruz on the side but there are better choices

i just checked my frame for cracks and it was fine put new barings in the frame and converted to a threw-axel hub and it still flexes like a *****... fortunetly i traded my frind for his giant dh comp...way nicer frame construction

late
Santa Cruz is outsourced to Asia these days. Frames are manufactured by Kinesis. They also make frames for Diamondback, Kona, and Titus.

Hey Zeeth, did I by chance tune a fork for you? Or do you have a myspace? Or to be even more specific... Is your name Sam?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'm thankful too!!!

zeeth2800 said:
Hey The bullit takes a 68/113 (for triple chainring) and 68/118 (for chainduides)

and yes the bullit is out of production...which i am thankful of... it was way too hyped about and it was super flexy!

anyway hope this helps
Man, those darned Bullits were such death traps. I was glad when Ralph Nader got on the bandwagon and got those things outlawed. Thankfully no more innoncent riders will be killed by these creations of the devil...LOL! :D

Geez, Zeeth, the Bullit is hardly the best bike ever built or any high praise like that, but they do not suck. Ya know, this design came out in '99, and even though there have been some small beef upgrades, obviously there are beefier, stronger, and more gnarly bikes available out there. But one area the Bullit always shines is in its ability to do nearly everything fairly well. You can throw on a Monster T, longer shock, and beefy wheels/tires on a Bullit and ride the wad out of it one weekend. Then next weekend you can throw on your 6" aggressive trail fork, air shock, and all-mountain wheelset and ride it with great confidence without being as heavy as an aircraft carrier. Try doing that with most other big hit bikes. It's the multifaceted nature of the Bullit that has made it popular, not hype. Maybe it's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none type of deal. Maybe you had unrealistic expectations as to the niche it was supposed to fill.

Hey, I agree that there are stiffer bikes out there, but there are many others not as stiff. Also to get a great deal of extreme lateral stiffness, you usually have to increase weight. The Bullit is a relatively light frame compared to similar types of bikes. Nearly everything is a compromise. I may sound like an evangelical Bullit loyalist, but that's not the case. I have two other brands of big hit style bikes in my shop with a Nomad on the way. Your Giant is supposed to be a very decent bike from what I've heard and read about it, but it probably has a wart or two lurking in there somewhere. Obviously the Bullit was not the bike for you, so it's good you found one that fits your needs. The Bullit does fill the bill for many others.

Standing back and looking at the Bullit's history, it's rather remarkable that a relatively unchanged design remained in uninterrupted production for so long. There is a reason for that. It is a relatively durable bike, it is light for its intended use, it is relatively inexpensive, and it does lots of tasks quite well. It's a far cry from the best bike ever. It's just a good, solid bike that had endeared itself to many riders for many rational reasons.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
TNC said:
Man, those darned Bullits were such death traps. I was glad when Ralph Nader got on the bandwagon and got those things outlawed. Thankfully no more innoncent riders will be killed by these creations of the devil...LOL! :D

Geez, Zeeth, the Bullit is hardly the best bike ever built or any high praise like that, but they do not suck. Ya know, this design came out in '99, and even though there have been some small beef upgrades, obviously there are beefier, stronger, and more gnarly bikes available out there. But one area the Bullit always shines is in its ability to do nearly everything fairly well. You can throw on a Monster T, longer shock, and beefy wheels/tires on a Bullit and ride the wad out of it one weekend. Then next weekend you can throw on your 6" aggressive trail fork, air shock, and all-mountain wheelset and ride it with great confidence without being as heavy as an aircraft carrier. Try doing that with most other big hit bikes. It's the multifaceted nature of the Bullit that has made it popular, not hype. Maybe it's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none type of deal. Maybe you had unrealistic expectations as to the niche it was supposed to fill.

Hey, I agree that there are stiffer bikes out there, but there are many others not as stiff. Also to get a great deal of extreme lateral stiffness, you usually have to increase weight. The Bullit is a relatively light frame compared to similar types of bikes. Nearly everything is a compromise. I may sound like an evangelical Bullit loyalist, but that's not the case. I have two other brands of big hit style bikes in my shop with a Nomad on the way. Your Giant is supposed to be a very decent bike from what I've heard and read about it, but it probably has a wart or two lurking in there somewhere. Obviously the Bullit was not the bike for you, so it's good you found one that fits your needs. The Bullit does fill the bill for many others.

Standing back and looking at the Bullit's history, it's rather remarkable that a relatively unchanged design remained in uninterrupted production for so long. There is a reason for that. It is a relatively durable bike, it is light for its intended use, it is relatively inexpensive, and it does lots of tasks quite well. It's a far cry from the best bike ever. It's just a good, solid bike that had endeared itself to many riders for many rational reasons.
from his heart not brain :p :p loyal till the end

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
zeeth2800 said:

anyway hope this helps
Super flexy?

The most popular FR/DH bike ever and hes got negatives.. Hyped my ass - earned a reputation that it more than lives up to.

No it is being redesigned - who knows what is in store - it does need some stiffening IMHO - I bet it has a swing link and a a150mm reat - it is supposed to return for 2006.5 or 2007...

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
....Hyped my ass - earned a reputation that it more than lives up to....
BS! the bullit is losing popularity by the second as other manuf's are putting out bikes that are not made of spaghetti. (all of you idiots who rave about the bullits stiffness have obviously never ridden any other real bikes. put your pedal straight down and sideload the frame, it will flex so far you will hear it start to ping). the bike has a ridiculous amount of pedal bob, suffers from massive amounts of pedal feedback, insane amounts of chain growth (requiring a chain that is much too long creating tons of chainslap), has a falling rate suspension that allows it to bottom out super easy, i could go on for days.....
the ONLY reason the bullit has lasted as long as it has, is because it is (was) relatively inexpensive. as the price has gone up in the last few years, it's sales have dramatically decreased. there are numerous other bikes that are in the same range of price of the bullit that are much better options. there is no denying that you see way less than half as many as you used to. think about it, there is a reason for this.....

poeple will argue that you used to see many top pros throwing down on them, but what they don't tell you is that they were also breaking them left and right and then back to the left again....

good riddance to a crappy bike...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.