Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a chronic issue or what, but the rear derailleur cable on my Bullit likes to cinch up and rub on the cassette when I ride. I've tried to zip tie it to the swingarm but the cable still wants to tighten up while riding.
 

· Absurd
Joined
·
915 Posts
justflow said:
I don't know if this is a chronic issue or what, but the rear derailleur cable on my Bullit likes to cinch up and rub on the cassette when I ride. I've tried to zip tie it to the swingarm but the cable still wants to tighten up while riding.
Leave a little extra room on the cable and zip tie it to the chainstays right at the drop outs. It looks a little hookey and like the zip tie is going to slip off, but it wont.
 

· Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
What derail. are you running??

justflow said:
I don't know if this is a chronic issue or what, but the rear derailleur cable on my Bullit likes to cinch up and rub on the cassette when I ride. I've tried to zip tie it to the swingarm but the cable still wants to tighten up while riding.
I run SRAM X.7 on my 04 Bullit, black BTW.
SRAM routes cable to outside of swingarm, Shimano routes cable to inside of swingarm.
Either way you still have to use a zip tie. Inside - zip-tie keeps housing out of cassette,
outside zip-tie keeps cable loop out of way of limbs grabbin' exposed housing loop.
No binding issues for me @ all. Don't like it myself, but whats a guy gonna do. Just zip-tie it & ride. There will be plenty of time to worry about more important stuff later.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MVRIDER said:
Leave a little extra room on the cable and zip tie it to the chainstays right at the drop outs. It looks a little hookey and like the zip tie is going to slip off, but it wont.
I tried this but the cable just slides through the zip tie and after about 20 minutes of riding I have to stop and pull out the extra length again. I'm considering routing the cable to the outside of the chainstay but I think it will end up binding.
 

· Absurd
Joined
·
915 Posts
justflow said:
I tried this but the cable just slides through the zip tie and after about 20 minutes of riding I have to stop and pull out the extra length again. I'm considering routing the cable to the outside of the chainstay but I think it will end up binding.
Maybe you need to replace the cable with one that is longer? It ( the longer cable ) looks like it would get caught up in all kinds of sh!t but I've never had a problem.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CraigH said:
What style of cable routing? They changed in about 2002.
Full housing?
Um......... The cable runs along the inside of the dropout over the cassette and to the xtr derailleur. I've zip tied the cable to the end of the chainstay right before the dropout. I start each ride making sure that the cable clears the cassette when the derailleur is rotated as far forward as possible. As the suspension cycles it inches the cable towards the front of the bike and thus causes it to eventually rub on the cassette. I'm wondering if someone has a creative fix to keep the cable from moving because my zip tie method aint cutting it. I'll be waiting for DH40's setup pic.
 

· Samsonite Tester
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
justflow said:
I don't know if this is a chronic issue or what, but the rear derailleur cable on my Bullit likes to cinch up and rub on the cassette when I ride. I've tried to zip tie it to the swingarm but the cable still wants to tighten up while riding.
Do you have any slack above the main pivot ?

The cable should hold extra length here. It should bend down past the chainstays straight line. This is pulled tight as the shock is depressed and the chainline lengthens. I run my SRAM X9 cable inside the vertical swing arm girder between the seat tube then to the outside of the stay under a lizardskin. Its tight and dosent ghost shift.

Hope this helps.
 

· Tear it all out!
Joined
·
7,721 Posts
Mine housing runs like that too, but I don't have any cable mounts on the "chainstay" tube as my swingarm has the old routing. I don't have any problems with the housing moving. Using a Deore rear der. as I wear out about 2 or 3 rear der. a year.

Next time I have my bike at work I'll take a pic of the routing. It will probably be next week though.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top