Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new frame... :D
After a lot of reading, and deciding, I have narrowed my dicision down between the Heckler and the Bullit. Here is where the question lies, but I must post an explination:

I will be riding a good deal of DH/FR this year at Mountain Creek (diablo) I also will probably have an equal mix of aggresive XC on the local trails. I understand that optimally I should have a seperate bike for each chore. Due to a lack of a thick wallet, this is just not possible right now.

I am worried that the Bullit will be a pain to pedal up hill, although people on the reviews say it is not. Also I don't know if the heckler will hold up on a DH corse. mind you, at Diablo I am not ready for big drops (yet) but hopefully this season will open my eyes to bicycle flight.

Here are a few things to consider:
I weigh 200lbs.
I do have a HT that I can use if I know I am going on a high climb XC ride.
Either bike I purchace will be set up as follows:
Some kind of travel adjust fork (like Marz. AM1 SL)
Saint cranks, SRAM pg 980 (2x9 setup)
Saint calipers/ 8" rotors
2.3-2.5" tires (tubeless)

So my question to all of the Heckler/Bullit owners is
Will the Heckler hold up to a 200lb. rider ripping drops?
Will the Bullit be a horrible XC rig?

Oh, and BTW either one I go with it will be the New '07 specs (both longer travel/better pivots)

Thanks in advance for any and all input. :D Im just killing my brain here. :madman:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Both of these are great bikes, but unless the new Bullit has "porked out" in the weight department...and it doesn't look like it has...IMO the Bullit will make the better crossover bike. At our shop, 3 of us have Bullits and Hecklers. We're all pretty much in agreement here that the more aggressive you get, the better the Bullit gets. The Heckler is the better trail bike, but the more gnarly the trail gets, again the Bullit makes up ground. The Bullit is a pretty nice bike in the respect that it truly makes a decent trail bike that can step up pretty large if equipped properly.

One other factor is your weight. The Heckler gets harder to match the right shock and setup to a heavier rider...not impossible, just harder. The Bullit is much more forgiving in this issue. Also, and oddly, the Heckler and Bullit frames are not that much different in weight. If you go the Heckler, make sure you get a coil rear shockthat has a 2.25" stroke. And honestly the Bullit will do a better job IMO if you choose a fork like the Van 36 or Marz 66SL. The Bullit pictured here is 33lbs. It will do most anything except hardcore FR or competitive DH.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
TNC - I thought you said the DHX Air (pictured above) was poor for the Heckler and at my guess subsequently the Bullit? Falling rate and all? Also, the Bullit above at 33lbs is very light, my Heckler weighs just under 34lbs and (apart from exotic upgrades) I wouldn't build it any lighter for any kind of DH as the OP says he rides. :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
which for Diablo?

Timekiller said:
Thank you TNC.. that is exactly what I was looking for.

I was concerned about my weight with the heck, I knew the van R was out of the question on that frame.

WOW 33lbs. so far Im grindin on that Bullit, too bad Ill have to wait till May :(
I've had a bullit in the past, and I ride Diablo. The Bullit is the obvious choice for Diablo.
The extra travel will definitely help when you start taking the drops.
Plus...as you already know, you can make a trail friendly bullit (even though they pedal pretty well at 40 pounds)!

Just think of this...how many times will you actually ride Diablo considering they are open in May/June and close in October?

If it's only going to be a handful of times, maybe the Heckler is your choice.

good luck.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Heckler falling rate.

weescott said:
TNC - I thought you said the DHX Air (pictured above) was poor for the Heckler and at my guess subsequently the Bullit? Falling rate and all? Also, the Bullit above at 33lbs is very light, my Heckler weighs just under 34lbs and (apart from exotic upgrades) I wouldn't build it any lighter for any kind of DH as the OP says he rides. :)
I think the myth is that many think the Bullit has a fairly strong falling rate...it does not...the Heckler does. The Bullit is quite linear with just a touch of falling rate, and some of that can be changed a bit with the flip/flop shock shuttle. The DHXA actually works better on my Bullit than on my Nomad. I'm not exactly sure why, but perhaps because the Bullit normally runs a noticeably lighter coil spring than the same coil shock on an equal Nomad, this may explain why the Bullit isn't as prone to blow through the travel of a DHXA. I also have a '99 Bullit with a Manitou 4-Way Air on it, but it definitely yields a firmer ride overall compared to the DHXA. That's good or bad depending on your preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
freeriderB said:
I've had a bullit in the past, and I ride Diablo. The Bullit is the obvious choice for Diablo.
The extra travel will definitely help when you start taking the drops.
Plus...as you already know, you can make a trail friendly bullit (even though they pedal pretty well at 40 pounds)!

Just think of this...how many times will you actually ride Diablo considering they are open in May/June and close in October?

If it's only going to be a handful of times, maybe the Heckler is your choice.

good luck.
Thank you for your input. :thumbsup:

So far it seems like everyone I talk to says it is a very well pedaling bike (bullit), as long as it is set up properly.

And, hopefully Diablo will be a second home for me this year, I bought a season pass this past fall for '07. That and I would like to get to Skyline and Glen Park in Diablo's off-season.

So I guess it is kind of a no brainer and I should just pull the trigger on the Bullit. I guess I just wanted to make sure that if I do want to take the Bullit to for example Allamuchy State park/ Deer Park I can, and enjoy it. Like I said if it comes down to it I can always use my HT.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Both bikes will work...I owned both of the older versions and done "everything" on both of them. Northstar on the heckler and XC on the bullit. Let me tell you this, be realistic with yourself, and pick one that you are going to enjoy more than the other. If you LOVE the downhill, then the bullit will be your choice. If you prefer xc more often then not then the heckler is your choice. Either way, both bikes will do the job well enough.

The deal breaker for me is pivot placement, and to be quite frank, I prefer the heckler's lower pivot placement due to it's pedaling charateristics over the bullit's higher pivot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.