Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually tried the new Bulldog tire?
I've heard alot of people ragin' on them but not many first hand experiences. I've always liked the Mosquito for a front tire on hard pack and I was wondering how they compare to the Bulldog.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I have a set of the UST light 2.1 ready to mount but no riding time on them yet... They will get on the bike before my next ride tough and I will post a review when I have spent some time on them. From what I heard/read, they are great (grippy, fast rolling, light) unless your riding style requires knobs all the way to the sidewall, the side knobs don't go too far down on them. Maybe this will hurt cornering a bit, specially on the front. I'll see.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
I've got a set of the new UST airlites for sale

if you are interested. 3 rides. Not bad, but I want more side knobs. Ridden twice 670 grams each. I'd do the pair shipped for 55 bucks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
rode em

I have had these tires off an on my bike since jan. (came stock on new giant reign) . they are not worth the time for me . they grip really well and roll good but i get thorns or sticks (side wall punctures) and anything else going right thru them. just a really soft tire. have slime in them and am still getting flats . have tried different pressures and everything . overall I am not impressed at all .
don't know what else to try but I am gettin somethin lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not very impressed

Great lack of rolling resistance, good volume, very well finished (they even have what looks like a heavy spot marker painted inside for balancing...), the UST version goes on the rim in a snap, but....

- they suck badly in corners, no matter the surface
- the tread is low (read: not a great lifespan) and narrow (how narrow refer to point above)
- despite the volume, they are still a bit stiff, maybe more break in will help

I did race them yesterday and lost a tremendous amount of time in technical sections. Even crashed hard in a section that I cleared many a time before (may not be related, but it's in my head now).

Keep in mind this is NJ, though; I suspect these tires may have more advantages in other areas.

I'm going back to the spiders, world of difference. I'll keep the bulldogs to improve on technical skills.

Maurice

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Clint has both sizes.

The 2.3's are heavy for what they are. The 2.1's are on the skinny side. I was suprised when I saw them because I am big on Hutchies. He said the 2.1's were on the sketchy side. The 2.3's don't make much sense in that they don't offer much grip for all that weight. He has been running them on his SC SS. He bought them based on their dual compound rubber. He was hoping for a tire that would perform similar to a Tioga Factory XC, but with the sticky rubber happy time traction.
I am staying away and sticking with what I got.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Try Panaracer Cinders ...

Maurice said:
Great lack of rolling resistance, good volume, very well finished (they even have what looks like a heavy spot marker painted inside for balancing...), the UST version goes on the rim in a snap, but....

- they suck badly in corners, no matter the surface
- the tread is low (read: not a great lifespan) and narrow (how narrow refer to point above)
- despite the volume, they are still a bit stiff, maybe more break in will help

I did race them yesterday and lost a tremendous amount of time in technical sections. Even crashed hard in a section that I cleared many a time before (may not be related, but it's in my head now).

Keep in mind this is NJ, though; I suspect these tires may have more advantages in other areas.

I'm going back to the spiders, world of difference. I'll keep the bulldogs to improve on technical skills.

Maurice
They have the same general tread pattern, but the tread is higher and they hook up in the corners a lot better. Excellent mud shedding, good volume (1.95 or 2.25). And I guess you now have the option for Panaracer's signature red sidewalls ;-)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was skeptical at first, I rode some really rocky terrain and they were sliding down the rock faces alot, I rode them some more and got used to them, they roll nice, have decent traction on hills and shed mud well. But then I did my first race on them this past weekend, I did have a hard time in the technical rocky section. I also washed out on a few turns that were loose.
Then I was looking over my wheels last night and the tires are all torn up. The outside knobs are actually eaten away, I've never seen that on a tire. Mind you these tires have about 3 months of riding on them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought the Bulldog was the replacement for 'Skeeters?

895gs for a 2.3! Man thats a lot, my 2.3 Mosquitos are like 650gs and I've never been happier with a tire. Even if they wear out quick the Skeeter was a darn good hookup tire, and they phased it out for a tire that sounds like most folks don't like. What were those frenchies at Hutchison thinking?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Surlydave said:
895gs for a 2.3! Man thats a lot, my 2.3 Mosquitos are like 650gs and I've never been happier with a tire. Even if they wear out quick the Skeeter was a darn good hookup tire, and they phased it out for a tire that sounds like most folks don't like. What were those frenchies at Hutchison thinking?
895gram for a 2.3 UST isn't actually a rare thing. I have a set of Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 UST (much smaller than most Hutchinson's 2.3) that weight way above 900 gram each. And I have seen many other tires in that size range around the same weight range.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It Exploded!

staz said:
have been runnin the 2.3(895gr)on mavic 819 rim, no problems with traction in the dry clay/sandy/rooty NC trails. stans free also. 4weeks of riding no loss of pressure. nice doggies.
Well only about 7 weeks of use on these now, riding 3-4 times a week. the rear tire exploded last night on a dh section. the tire was just about cut in half. what a POS. after looking the tire over i also found 3 tears in the tire. save your money and buy something else. these things would kill someone in the mountains. i never ever had a tire rip in half.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
staz said:
Well only about 7 weeks of use on these now, riding 3-4 times a week. the rear tire exploded last night on a dh section. the tire was just about cut in half. what a POS. after looking the tire over i also found 3 tears in the tire. save your money and buy something else. these things would kill someone in the mountains. i never ever had a tire rip in half.
What do you mean by exploded? Did it actually blew up or it just ripped open? What kind of impact did it? I'm curious.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Both

Dan Gerous said:
What do you mean by exploded? Did it actually blew up or it just ripped open? What kind of impact did it? I'm curious.
was decending down a rooty section pretty fast and the tire just blew, pop, big noise explosion, like a gun shot. no control what so ever, instant deflation. the tire looks like it had been sliced in half from the bead to center of tire. nothing but junk now.

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Enoch said:
Has anyone actually tried the new Bulldog tire?
I've heard alot of people ragin' on them but not many first hand experiences. I've always liked the Mosquito for a front tire on hard pack and I was wondering how they compare to the Bulldog.
I've ridden the 2.3 Bulldog on the rear and can't honestly give it more than a 5.5 on a scale of 1 - 10. The tread width is only 2.1 with the casing being slightly larger. The 2.1 Spider UST and even the Python UST hookup better in all conditions than the Bulldog. Have not ridden the Mosquito, however, if you're looking for a fast f/r combo for moostly non technical rides check out the Roll-X Pro 2Bliss/Python UST. The Blue Groove 2.1 UST/Spider is also a great combo that works well in all conditions. MY $.02................peace

·
Registered
359 Posts
some photos

staz said:
i've noticed cracks and slits all over the tire. pretty bummed for this being my first UST tire choice. the LBS and myself are still waitng on a few e-mails sent regarding the out of round tires. noticed this when first mounted them and again remounted to ensure a good seal. oh' well.
this is just from charlotte nc single track trails, not one ride to pisgah one em, thank god.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.