Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I came across this guy as I was headed downhill. He was a lot bigger than he looks in the pic. Quite an awesome beast! The trail was narrow at this point. Would you have passed him or not?

Grass Green Natural landscape Grazing Plant community

A bit of background - I've probably seen him 50 times in the past five years, ever since he was a teenager. He never looks angry, and I usually talk to him as I pass by, nervously, at 30 feet or more. I'm guessing that he knows me...

As a counterpoint, about 25 years ago I was climbing a fire trail and came across another bull about 50 yards up. He began growling, in a deep low loud voice like nothing I've ever heard, pawing the ground, and snorting. Easy decision! If I had been coming down from above, I would have probably had a very bad day...

Anyway, yesterday I turned around and headed back up the hill for some bonus climbing...

Anyone else have Bull stories? Any cowboys or ranchers out there that can give advice?

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
No, I would have turned around too. Not worth the risk of getting knocked off the bike into the trees - maybe with your bike where you wouldn’t be easily found, and then trampled to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,768 Posts
well since a Bull is the most dangerous livestock to own, and one step, squash, kick or head butt can crush your skull, not even mentioning horns...and they can flip a car over no problem, I stay the hell away from them

#dumbwaystodie

Reactions: shekky

·
Registered
405 Posts
if you stop at a safe distance, make him aware of your presence, Make noise, he will most likely move.

I notice the cattle aroubd here are pretty tame. Unless you have a dog with you.
Extremely protective of their offspring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i watched my friend get chased across a meadow up in the sierras, by a bull, and some of his posse of cows. i started to laugh until it sunk in just how dangerous the situation was. IIRC the meadow was called BUCK meadow. we called it _ucked meadow after that.

my buddy cleared the fence backpack and all. like an Olympic champion.

i would have turned around. i'd look like crap smashed into a goo under that hoof.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yell Toro! Toro!! Toro!!! at the top of your lungs while passing. He'll move right over ;)

We have a Bull or two from time to time at Toro. Pretty tame in all of my experiences. Probably tired from raping all the Cows. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Years ago I was riding some single track in Belmont by Crystal Springs Reservoir and came up quickly on a huge buck. I startled him and he bolted away down the path. Being young (and dumb) I tried to see if I could keep up with him. We were going at a pretty good clip when the trail came to a dead end 'cause of some huge blackberry bushes. That darn buck stopped on a dime turned around and charged straight at me. He was huge - full rack and all. He took up the WHOLE trail. I yanked my bars to the right and dove as far as I could. My heart was pounding out of my chest. OMG, never again will I follow a buck!!
Cheers! Mark

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
I'd pass slowly, cautiously, using a sing song voice while gauging his behavior. Slightest hint of discomfort on his part & I'd back off.

I once got chased by some lean longhorn mofo breed in the Carribean, thinking Nevis. Anyway, didn't see him until he was bearing down on me. I ran to a tree and we played ring around the Rosie for about 45 minutes. Eventually he stopped trying to out flank me and stayed put just staring at me. I backed off slow and low using my sing song voice. Pretty much killed my day as I was exhausted afterwards.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,581 Posts
It all depends on the body langue of the bull. Some are calm other are not. I've had a 1000+lb bull snort and stomp at me and I backed away as fast as possible. Even mamma cows can get aggressive if you get get between them and there calf's.
If there's doubt, there is no doubt. You did the right thing. Live to ride another day.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,909 Posts
Riding EB Parks you run into this often. I do the same, talk to them, make sure they take a peek at you, then look away. If they do any pawing or head shake you need to back off slowly and stay as far away as possible while getting around them.

If they continue to eat I just mosey on by. I have had females be aggressive when tending to little ones at times. Can be scary in a tight trail situation for sure! In your pic that is a little tight, think I would have done the same.

The coolest cow experience was descending into a meadow full of cows fairly spread out. One started to run then another, next thing the entire herd is running along in my same direction, was surreal and luckily they all kept their distance.

-Mooo

·
Registered
580 Posts
Perfectly timed thread. I live in Scotts Valley next to Glenwood Preserve where they just opened one side to bikes but will keep the other closed to bikes because they're concerned cyclists will scare the cattle. Any good examples to dispel this myth? What places in NorCal successfully mix the two? Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
Perfectly timed thread. I live in Scotts Valley next to Glenwood Preserve where they just opened one side to bikes but will keep the other closed to bikes because they're concerned cyclists will scare the cattle. Any good examples to dispel this myth? What places in NorCal successfully mix the two? Thanks
East bay, where the cows have more rights than a cyclist.

I ride with my dog sonetimes.
Ive had about 20 cows not move and take a stand middle of trail all because they confuse my lab for a predator. If they would only stay clear of the trail, would be no issue.

Never have i notice the cows get aggressive w me though.
Dismounting, stand your bike up vertical and scream at them as you pass usually does the trick. And dont turn your back, just in case one wants to get smart.

Im sure if there were any overly aggressive cattle, they would be relocated to a non public area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.