Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short -- I'm looking for a new bike because the track-style rear dropouts of my 2018 Krampus won't tow my dog's BOB Ibex trailer.

I like the Krampus quite a bit and built it up accordingly. Eagle upgrades, carbon bits, custom boost wheelset, etc. Ideally, I'd like to find something similar (bikepacking-capable but still playful) to replace it with (or N+1 and make it SS).

Criteria:
- Dropouts that work with my BOB Ibex via Robert Axle Project.
- Boost spaced
- Braze-ons for all sorts of stuff
- Dropper compatible
- Affordable-ish
- Fun to ride on casual singletrack jaunts
- Preferably steel, of course Ti works if used option exists

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
203 Posts
TI have wondered what it would cost to have sliding dropouts added to my Wednesday. Depending on how much you like the bike, and the cost, maybe that could be an option?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is there a way to attatch the trailer mounting "bobbins that Robert axle sells to the dropout and mount the trailer to that?
My Krampus has the MDS dropouts. I use Surly's through axle and figure I could mount bobbins to the ends if needed. My axle has screw on caps on both ends. I think later models are fixed on one side.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It doesn't really have a lot of braze ons but the stranglehold dropouts on the stache can accomodate a burley kid trailer pretty well (through robert axles). Maybe the trek 1120 would be a good option?

The stache has worked pretty well for me in this duty but I kind of want to swap it for a krampus ironically, your post makes me think it maybe wouldn't work haha.

·
PoDaddy
176 Posts
It doesn't really have a lot of braze ons but the stranglehold dropouts on the stache can accomodate a burley kid trailer pretty well (through robert axles). Maybe the trek 1120 would be a good option?

The stache has worked pretty well for me in this duty but I kind of want to swap it for a krampus ironically, your post makes me think it maybe wouldn't work haha.
not to threadjack, but do you mind if I ask why you think you might favor the Krampus over a Stache?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
not to threadjack, but do you mind if I ask why you think you might favor the Krampus over a Stache?
Honestly it's mostly just that with the kid I find the stache needing to fill a more utilitarian role. And it's weird that the bike I want to do that work is the only one I can't replace the BB on myself. The braze ons and stuff on the krampus would be nice too, and I suspect I would like the ride better with a rigid fork as well. Did not really like the stache with rigid fork that much. Or maybe I just really do like it with the suspension fork that much?

I do think I might be giving up a little bit when it comes to trail riding if I switched but not a ton.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Annnd problem (sort of) solved! I found a deal on a Niner Sir9 frame on fleabay this AM. Looking forward to building it up.

The Krampus is officially for sale! Going to build it back up as near-stock and get it listed. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.