Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was given an old youths 24" wheel MTB in fair condition and wanted to make something out of it, decided to make a SUB as it seemed a pretty simple conversion, not much to add, just taking parts away. Single speed for KISS, I use it on the local trails which are very flat and low gradients (old railway lines)

Original frame

removed top tube and dropped rear triangle

painted black

angled stem made from 30mm stainless tubing, ready for first test ride.

cut down cranks to 90mm, much better pedal action and gearing increased which it needed

made a hinge for folding handlebars, now goes straight into back of car

Attachments

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Pretty decent engineering game/problem, well done.
However, I now have that Styx song “Too Much Time On My Hands” stuck in my head.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This bike is a waste of time and resources. It’s looks ridiculous and I want to ride so badly! When are you doing test rides?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it started out as a crazy time wasting project, I was actually surprised how good it turned out, it's now my goto bike. This is my halfway turnaround point of 11km on the local trails, gearing lowered slightly +2 teeth on the rear. It is just FUN to ride (and a good workout/head turner) cost me $28 so far and some time, new chain and a can of black paint.

Didn't have to build the frame as such, more like frame removal :eek:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.