Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a Turner Flux Frame & wonder if I can build it up myself with the following. If anyone has had experience with this, thanks...
I ride XC endurance and sometimes pull a Bob, but i also like simple trail riding as well. 100 miles out sometimes, my MO has been to purchase simple, but high quality parts.
Can I use XTR V Brakes on the Turner Flux? If not, can i use a rear disk and front VBrakes?
Can I build up the bike myself ? I would use XT groupo, but are there specs somewhere so i know what to order?
thnks

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Magnetman said:
I am looking to purchase a Turner Flux Frame & wonder if I can build it up myself with the following. If anyone has had experience with this, thanks...
I ride XC endurance and sometimes pull a Bob, but i also like simple trail riding as well. 100 miles out sometimes, my MO has been to purchase simple, but high quality parts.
Can I use XTR V Brakes on the Turner Flux? If not, can i use a rear disk and front VBrakes?
Can I build up the bike myself ? I would use XT groupo, but are there specs somewhere so i know what to order?
thnks
there is a sticky at the top with links to people's builds...i suggest you start there.
disc only in the rear...
no reason why you can't build the bike up yourself!
have fun and keep us posted on the progress! :thumbsup::D

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
very impressive man. im a bob guy too, have a rigid for road and a sprung for off road trips.

its possible to find some of the old turner vee adaptors but i wouldnt count on it. runnin vee's on 1 end and a disc on the other has the feel of a jeckle/hyde bike and i wouldnt reccomend it unless there was no other option. disc is also much more dependable when yer way the hell out there for a variety of reasons.

sure, any competent home mechanic can build a 4 or $6000 bike but will it be done right? how much savings is a possible mistake worth? if yer not reeeeeeeeal familliar with h/set, b/bkt, fork, etc install, dont do it. theres normally plenty of good local shops who can get the job done right and make it work like a perfect bike was intended.

xt is light, cheap enough and rather bullet proof, perfect for this type of project. post a intended spec and were happy to guide ya past the crap and any size or compatability issues. also look at the turner site for f der (34.9), b/bkt (73 x 113) and s/post (27.2) size.

any other questions, just ask but beware, we can be a over opinionated and silly bunch but we do know our shyt.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
XT is a good choice for a flux, esp the cranks and front/rear der. XTR Hydros can be had cheap on fleabay, and work really well on a Flux. (you wouuld use just the rear, I'm guessing) What fork are you thinking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure yet about the Fork. Any recommendations. 4" travel is fine for me.
I was thinking of getting some wheels built up at colorado cyclist or excel.
thanks for your replys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have shop build it, but i would collect the parts.
Do you think the turner would have any issues pulling the Bob? Like excessive pedal 'bob'? I'm used to hardtail in hauling things, but again, days out there, i tend to get beat up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
RE: rear disk and front V-brake

I've tried all possible combinations of front - rear - disk (hydro, cable) - v-brake, and my experience is that the front v and rear disk is the worst of all. My stopping distances increased and I skidded the rear tire all over the place.

There are only four reasons I can think of for not wanting a front disk:
1. weight -- unless you're Thomas Frischknecht (who used that combo) the weight doesn't matter that much.
2. don't have the $$ for front disk wheel -- I've been there. It's a valid concern, but getting a disk front wheel became a high priority because I didn't like it.
3. don't trust disk brakes -- I have thousands of miles on hydros without a single on-trail mechanical failure. If you can't get around that fear, I also have over five thousand miles on Avid BB7 cable brakes. They have been way more reliable than v-brakes.
4. maintenance -- hydros can be a pain, and bleeding Martas is frustrating (unless you like getting mineral oil all over the place) but all in all, I've been a MTBer for 20 years and I spend less time messing with my breaks now than I ever did with various rim brakes.

About the bike build... the only things you can pretty easily screw up are the head tube if you don't press the headset in right, and the bottom bracket threads if you cross thread a cup.

I attended a lecture by a cognitive psychologist who, when asked where the line was between retarded and dumb, replied "bicycle mechanic, it's a job a dumb person can do, but is too complex for the developmentally challenged."

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
That's a good call on the handbuilt wheels. Do that right and they should last you a very long time without needing much, if any, attention. Do it a bit on the durable side if a little extra weight is not a major concern. I personally like Mavic 819 rims and Hope or Hadley hubs have been 100% reliable for me.

Forks- lots of choices. I'll let others chime in here but for adjustable forks, the Talas and Revelation are what I am familiar with. I like them both. Non-adjustable- Fox and Marzocchi make great 100mm forks. Marzocchi probably enjoys the "most reliable" reputation. They have some promising new forks out this year too.

I don't pull anything so I have no input there.

·
12,942 Posts
yes to bb7's, yes to adjustable forks ('04 talus is my fave), yes to a bob on back (i hope as ive yet to go back country off road on mine), ive done 7 days each on rough and hilly roads with both my bobs without issue behind a steel merckx.

·
12,942 Posts
i havent had to do much out of shop purchases in the past 14 years but when i did i went to larry and he took fine care of me. fast, accurate and overly reasonable.

i also have a few bits off my flux im sellin. pm me and we can talk.

·
12,942 Posts
Magnetman said:
To Cactus-I'm sorry, but what does 'PM' mean. Clarify how can I reach you?
<<< see my name over there? no, up a little.. yeah. thats it. now left click on it. again where it says somethin about sendin a private message. the rest is gravy. now choose dark or light flavor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.