Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
beer thief
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an addiction, a disease perhaps, which involves trail building. There's something incredibly satisfying about laying out an interesting new line and seeing it done to completion. I got approval from the town's conservation commission (it helps to be a member) for a short new trail on one of the town's properties. The topography has lots of boulders, and my goal was to link them as much as reasonably possible; to build something along the lines of Whistler's "River Runs Through It", but using granite instead of cedar.

Last weekend, my friend Michael the Minimalist and I built this little gem, finding a quarried ramp only needing an exit move and small gap filler:

1. The ramp, steeper than it looks.
2. View from the other side.
3. It rides very well, too easy maybe - Scot checks it out. (If you feel obligated to discuss helmets, please start your own thread)
4. Looking down the ramp.

Attachments

·
beer thief
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Feature 2, the stone plank

This week my buddy Scot offered to help out, so we imitated Egyptians and moved a big plank about 140'. This will become a plank onto a small boulder. This rock was damn heavy and we had to use all the cunning we had.

1. After over an hour of rigging & frigging, we had it positioned on rollers on our movable rails.
2. Getting ready to roll the rails; destination is the small black dot of a rock at the top.
3. Making progress, target in sight.
4. Finally, arrival.

Attachments

·
beer thief
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point Scot had to leave, so I really had to work to out-think this chunk of stone. Fortunately, a little brain (very little, in my case) can replace a lot of muscle. A come-a-long helps, too. This actually went pretty quick, less than 2 hours and I was packing up.

1. I built a tripod.
2. Blurry photo of the load starting to move.
3. Plank in place, needs only minor fine tuning.

Attachments

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Nothing like good 'ol Yankee ingenuity. And granite's going to last a lot longer than wood. Nice work!

Kathy :^)

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
radair said:
This week my buddy Scot offered to help out, so we imitated Egyptians and moved a big plank about 140'. This will become a plank onto a small boulder. This rock was damn heavy and we had to use all the cunning we had.
NEVER underestimate determined cunning linguists.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
This reminded me

of a book I have called Moving Heavy Things; a fieldbook of powerfull ingenuity, shrewd manipulation and mechanical advantage. Whenever confronted with something heavy I think of it.
Great work. Much more elegant than moving my castiron bathtub.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Stop messing with the thing and pick it up, you damn engineers are all alike. :rolleyes: Give me a shout if you need help and the weather holds.

·
beer thief
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
minkhiller said:
Stop messing with the thing and pick it up, you damn engineers are all alike.
Ha, I've been looking at small backhoes - could have done 4 hrs. work in about 10 minutes. My wife, however, is not so keen on the idea. I'm taking a GPS course both days next weekend, so I'll be suffering through a little withdrawal....

2006 Edit - Hmm, hydraulic power.... I ended up buying this little Kubota a few months later:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Let me know, it could be a trade off for my latest e-mail and an education for me. GPS course huh....hum let me look at my trail project resourse list...boy you are on the top of a lot things on this list. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.