Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to favorable parts pricing from miSSfit my ss build is underway. What do you call a softtail frame with a rigid fork? Semi-rigid? I don't really like how that sounds...

Attachments

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
jasonb said:
Thanks to favorable parts pricing from miSSfit my ss build is underway. What do you call a softtail frame with a rigid fork?
An endo if you're not careful descending. :p

jasonb said:
Semi-rigid? I don't really like how that sounds...
Rigid-softtail may not sound much better, but it sounds more like a frozen rabbit than anything filtered into my email SPAM trash these days.

Dave

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mtbdirteater said:
An endo if you're not careful descending. :p
I am sure I have a few of those coming my way. What was the reason for putting on a rigid fork? Self-abuse?

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
calzonical said:
How 'bout a "saggin-steed"

While the arms are taking a beating at least your lower back is enjoying the ride.

Oooh...that one is a bit prettier than mine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Self-Abuse was not the original intent... "getting a better feel for the trail" was the original intent. And man, you CAN feel the trail! What was I thinking . :confused:

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
calzonical said:
Self-Abuse was not the original intent... "getting a better feel for the trail" was the original intent. And man, you CAN feel the trail! What was I thinking . :confused:
I remember one of my first SS experiences back with a rigid fork. Was having a blast and figured I could hit everything just as hard. Bam!!, Bam!! Double pich flats. Awesome. No spare tubes, gave them away the ride before and forgot to repack them. Exactly four patches left. Patched the front snakebites, holding air. Pull out the rear tube. Two 3/4" snakebite rips. With two more 1/2" patches. Two guys ride by and one throws me a tube. Pump up the tube. Leaking from three places. Awesome. About nine miles into the ride, near a road. Cell phone had a signal. So when I blow past that place now on the same steel SS with a Fox suspension fork on it, I think of how much fun I had riding rigid, my eyes slamming up and down in my head so severely that I couldn't see the obvious rocks in the middle of the trail that have been there for years. I guess we each have our own kind of fun. I won't rip on you for enjoying yours.

Next several rigid rides seemed to revolve around some of the hardest series of crashes I ever walked away from. Rolled the front tire off the rim. Riding a rigid SS is a blast on smooth singletrack, but diluted my fun factor so much elsewhere, I had to reassess the need to feel the trail so literaly. I have since gone tubeless. And the rigid fork is laying in the garage.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Slippery Slope...

Zheesh! What's next, Jones H bars? Capri pants for riding? 29" wheels?

Congrats on finally taking the plunge. I suspect you'll really love it.

For the lack of maintenance (except for when you have to work on your bike)

For the silence (except for when the bike makes noise)

For the simplicity (except for when you're trying to figure out magic gear ratios or chain tensioner setup)

For the flow (except for when your upper body totally siezes up after a 6,000 foot burly downhill and you have to pry your gnarled fingers and throbbing wrists from the bars)

For the way it improves your spin (except for when your cadence is about 3 1/2 RPM climbing up Mt Falcon)

For the way the chicks dig your hunched posture and oddly oversized quads.

Hell yeah...gonna be great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that you have gone tubeless you might like that rigid fork a little more. I love flying through rocky, techy terrain rigid and hoping for the best. Its fun to be scared it gets the adrenaline flowing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts