Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a 16" Moots Rigormootis hardtail. I would appreciate any feedback you guys might have on some of my build ideas. I am 5'5" tall (in bike shoes) and 105 lbs. I would like to get the bike built near 20lbs. Here are some of the items I am looking at:

Fork -
RockShox SID Race or Fox F80 RL (SID is lighter, but F80 has lockout) - Which is better and do I really need lockout?

Wheelset -
Mavic Crossmax SL - Is that a good choice for a lightweight rider? I like the looks of them.

Tires -
I want a tire no wider than 1.9" (1.8's and 1.9's have worked well for me in the past). Would I be crazy to try something like the Continental Crosscountry 1.5" tire? I won't be doing real aggressive riding--mainly crosscountry riding on smooth trails, fire roads, and a little pavement (not much mud or rocks).

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
jckid said:
I am building up a 16" Moots Rigormootis hardtail. I would appreciate any feedback you guys might have on some of my build ideas. I am 5'5" tall (in bike shoes) and 105 lbs. I would like to get the bike built near 20lbs. Here are some of the items I am looking at:

Fork -
RockShox SID Race or Fox F80 RL (SID is lighter, but F80 has lockout) - Which is better and do I really need lockout?

Wheelset -
Mavic Crossmax SL - Is that a good choice for a lightweight rider? I like the looks of them.

Tires -
I want a tire no wider than 1.9" (1.8's and 1.9's have worked well for me in the past). Would I be crazy to try something like the Continental Crosscountry 1.5" tire? I won't be doing real aggressive riding--mainly crosscountry riding on smooth trails, fire roads, and a little pavement (not much mud or rocks).
What sort of budget after the frame purchase do you have? With a weight of 105 lbs, I say you could run the lightest bits and pieces you want, down to Crank Bros 4 ti pedals. Us porky 160 pounders have to be more "conservative". Maybe consider a carbon fork too. Easy to get that sled down to 20 lbs. 1.5 tires? Oh that hurts, I think my road bike/muter has 1.25 (32c) on them. :D

Go nuts.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
jckid said:
My budget is $425 or less for the fork. I've found the Fox F80RL for that amount and the SID for less. For the rest of the build, I want to keep it under $1500.
On the fork end I would choose the one with a lockout, cause I am in the rigid fork camp (disclaimer, I do not race). Wheels are a bit of a personal pref. I like Mavic rims but prefer DT hubs, so find the rim you like whether it be UST or not and lace it up to some lightish spokes to some DT240s. They are plenty light and reliable, super easy to rebuild the rear hub too. The Cross Max SLs seem to be spendy. Did you check the reviews? I say find a wheel builder in your area. They will set you up with spoke guages that fit your riding style/weight, etc.

Tires, again, everyone has their preferances but I like Panaracers a ton. You might be able to get some Fire XCs in the 1.8 width. They will be light, and I think the 2.1s roll well based on my experience. I like the 2.1s....but those don't meet your criteria.

Get a Ti seatpost and a snickers bar for a seat and your done. Ti flat bar, Thompson stem, Cane Creek S-2 headset (why? because they are 30 bucks and every bit as good as the $120 King on my other bike). What brakes you going to run?

Drivetrain: I won't go here. I prefer Shimano, but everyone has their prefs. (again). I spec'd all XT on my rig because I was on a fixed budget, I don't race, I wanted reliability (which the XT stuff has been fine for me), and the stuff is light enough to have brought my bike down to 24.5. Not a svelt racer but a well balanced "trail" bike (WTF??). I ride it.

Have fun!

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
Hi, jckid, congrats on gettings a Moots!

I've had a YBB for 4 years now, and use a SID Team and Crossmax SL wheels. I race in endurance events and have put my bike through its paces, so I can maybe offer some good advice on these components.

I am 160 lb., a lot heavier than you, but have loved my SID. Yes, it's flexier than a Fox, but especially at your weight, the weight savings of the SID, and the lockout, count more than the stiffness, I think.

Regarding Crossmax SLs, I think that's also a good choice - I also use SLs for racing (I use Crossmax XLs most of the time), and I've loved them. You're right, they look sharp - despite all the warning you'll read about poor Mavic service, and about being screwed if you break a spoke, I've never had a problem. Their freewheels are really easy to maintain (this is valuable if you do your own wrenching), and they're plenty reliable. The new SLRs are even better, lighter with an improved freewheel design, if you've got the $, consider them. But, the SLs are cheap now because of Mavic's new lineup, so they're a great deal.

I agree with the previous suggestion, make sure you go with a Moots seatpost for a little extra comfort - looks great too. I have a Moots stem and handlebar, and have been happy - would probably work for you too, especially at your weight, but aluminum or carbon parts here are definitely stiffer.

Can't offer much on tires, I use 2.1 - 2.2 tires for comfort on long rides here in the very rocky Rocky Mountains.

That's all I can suggest - honestly, it would be hard to go wrong since your starting with such a great frame! Best of luck, you'll be very happy. Post some pics when you're done!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.