Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a 2004 Heckler I'm building up w/ Bomber AM1 today 110-130mm. Bike currently has a 5th Element rear shock w/ unknown # spring rate on there (7.785 x 2.25 size)

My question is simple. If the 5th needs a new spring ( & maybe service soon too)... should I just consider looking for a new rear shock ? And sell the 5th

Bike is primarily for a 105# female rider. And I may occasionally grab it for epic trail duty :thumbsup: (150lb rider)

So, stay w/ the 5th or start looking around for.... ? Keep the same dimensions or go 7.5 x 2.0 to reduce travel a bit ?

·
Registered
785 Posts
i'd look for a swinger 4 way air...they can be had for pretty cheap on ebay if you look around....stay away from fox air shocks, or really any air shock that doesn't have a piggyback on it...the hecklers falling rate suspension really needs the added bottom out circuit that a piggyback provides.....why does the 5th coil need a new spring? just b/c the spring rate isn't right for you? or b/c the spring is shot? i've never heard of a spring going bad.....for your weight man you prob need like a 250-300lb spring...that's just a ball park guess...maybe even less than 250...i'm running a dhx 5.0 and i love it....very tunable, and super plush....but first i'd get the right spring rate....i just checked the SC website and i was right on the 250-300lb spring....250 for her, 300 for you.....personally i would just buy a spring....they can be had for like 15-20 bucks tops....

yes i know this says for a dhx 5.0, but spring rate is spring rate no matter the shock....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup emailed SCB they advised going w/ coil like a DHX.

I'm gonna finish the build 1st measure sag and then just ride it. Just looking for a heads up on what I should be looking for. BTW anyone has one let me know. Or if you are looking for a backup 5th same deal PM me...

You guys go w/ 7.785 x2.0 or 2.25 ? Mainly a trail bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
An air shock will allow you to change the spring without actually "changing the spring." That might make switching between riders easier since each of you will need a different compression spring rate. Just a thought. Also, the lighter the better for a 105 lb rider IMHO.

·
Registered
785 Posts
catnash said:
ret=the clicks out from closed from closed position to me means clicks back from full fast / no rebound damping? so a lighter rider needs more rebound damping?
closed = righty, tighty, lefty, loosy....i.e. like you're turning a valve CLOSED....get it? soo turn it all the way IN, and start there...then turn 14 clicks OUT for a light person, and 10 clicks out for a heavy person, and the heavy person will have the slower rebounding shock....all the way in the shock will be very very slow....all the way out will be very very fast....i think there's only like 20 clicks of rebound anyway....get it now?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.