Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plain and simple, How did you do it? I ride on the rodes right now and deal with a lot of hills. My muscles will ache after the first couple of miles i keep pushing on, but by a couple more miles and i just want to turn around b/c i'm afraid that if i don't i won't be able to pedal any longer. I can breathe fine and mentally want to continue, physically i just can't. I now have also started alternating days with the eliptical machine in my basement, which seems to help, except for my muscles just ache all the time now. Any suggestions? Whey protein perhaps? or just fight through it and keep going.

Thanks in advance

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
answer -- warm up properly and learn to use a high cadence on the hills (80 rpm or better)

if you don't warm up, your muscles will KILL you the day after. 10 mins of easy cycling is fine.

high cadence uses a different kind of muscle than mashing the pedals -- one which recovers much faster. Sit and spin on the hills, and flats as well, will enable you to go for much longer

also: alternate between hard and easy rides. don't go full out on every ride. every other ride, just take it easy and have fun

mileage builds endurance, even if you are not going all out

trust me, been there

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
That burn your refering to within the few few miles of your ride is not being fully warmed up. It's good to start easy on a low gear and allow your muscles to warm up. It takes me at least 20 minutes to fully warm up when its cold out. Before a race I take a bare minimum of 30 minutes of warming up. Sometimes its good to warm up, stretch, and then begin to ride. But building endurance simply means more riding, its as simple as that. You know you had a good hard ride when your legs are tingling hours after your ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are really out of shape take it slow. Try to work out every other day rather than every day (riding a bike and working out in the basement is probably too much if you are just starting out). If your muscles are always sore, you are not allowing enough rest time for them to recover.

After a workout, try to eat something healthy right away that has a good mix of protein, carbs, and fat. For example, a whey protein shake with some peanut butter and a banana and a handful of blueberries or strawberries.

Also, pick a distance you can ride comfortably and ride that three days a week. The next week increase it by 10-15%. Resist the urge to increase your distance more than that (adding too much will make you sore for days and interrupt your training schedule).

Here is a site about building a 'base' with LSD training:
http://www.ultracycling.com/training/lsd_training.html

Good luck and I feel your pain. I basically took last year off (a few weekend rides) due to my kid getting sick (leukemia) and crazy roommate. I'm now 40 lbs heavier and went anaerobic typing this..

Reefs

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You need to add a long easy ride into your training.

This is a ride that is well within your ability and at a pace that you can easily talk, legs should not be stressed either.

The ride should be around 2 hours say once a week.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Freqency is the most important thing.

3 days a week for 30 minutes is better then one day a week for 3 hour or 2 days a week for 2 hours.

Then just keep at it.

Sounds like your really far behind if your legs are still aching the next day even after a few weeks. Keep at it and if you keep getting sore the next day you may need to talk to a doc.

If you really want to jump start jog for 20-30 minutes one or twice a week on top your bike rides.

O btw, did I say keep at it?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sounds like the main reason you're aching all the time is no rest days. Your body needs time off to recover and build up. Definitely don't give up, but give your body time off also.

That, and what everyone else has said!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I took a day off, gave my legs some nice rest. Then did an easy 30 minutes on the eliptical. Took to the streets this morning after a nice warmup (something my legs haven't seen before) and enjoyed everybit of my ride except the 30 degree temp. Followed that up with a protein shake with some fruit, never put peanut butter in the shake before, added a whole new level to shakes for me. Also i plan on going on a nice easy (hoping for) 2 hour ride, this weekend. thanks all for the advice.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
MillerSHO said:
Sounds like your really far behind if your legs are still aching the next day even after a few weeks. Keep at it and if you keep getting sore the next day you may need to talk to a doc.
It is just a consequence of not warming up. If you go at it hammer and tongs without warming up, your legs will ache the next day.

The long, easy ride is a really good idea, especially if your legs are aching, strange as it seems. It can really loosen them up.

I do not think a 30 minute ride is long enough. 10mins minimum to warm up only gives you twenty minutes of real cycling and no time to warm down. 45m is the minimum for a really useful ride, IMO. I'm not saying don't do the 30m, but add a couple of miles of warmup to it and it will be more useful.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
finally, a week's break is always fantastic, because when you get back on the bike your legs feel like new. almost a guarantee of a great ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that is on top of a 10 minutes warmup and 10 minutes cool down. total ride is 50 minutes. I see the confusin in my original statement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
like they said:
-warm up (sometimes i strecth before, dont stretch hard)
-ride, if you racing this time of the year we do LSD (long slow distance) to build endurance
and aid in recovery for hard ride in races.
-cool down (I usually stretch then)
-eat rite

My coaches and others say real chocoalte milk or hot chocolate is the best recovery drink

just take it easy and have fun

sometimes i put it in granny if i feel the burn and spin fast for a few seconds

·
Registered
857 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
I do not think a 30 minute ride is long enough. 10mins minimum to warm up only gives you twenty minutes of real cycling and no time to warm down. 45m is the minimum for a really useful ride, IMO. I'm not saying don't do the 30m, but add a couple of miles of warmup to it and it will be more useful.

I agree 100%, I was just trying to reinfornce the idea of frequency over the actual amount.

·
Gus, just Gus.
147 Posts
The more you ride the better it will be. Rest days are a must, as is proper nutrition and stretching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts