Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
assenting member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a three year hiatus (marriage, baby, etc.) it is time for me to get back on a mountain bike and in the dirt. The $3.5-4K to get what I want is definitely a bridge too far considering I don't even have a mountain bike right now. I am hoping to buy and build up a used frame that I have been looking at, a 2011 Pivot Mach 429.

I am trying to keep the cost as low as practical.
- What should be new?
- What can be used?
- Where can I save some money?
- Where should I make sure to not skimp?

The only items I am fairly certain about are Shimano brakes and drivetrain (SLX?), and a 120mm Fox fork. Parts suggestions, places to buy and any other ideas are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
New: chain, cassette, chainrings, cables/housing.
Used: pretty much everything else, depending on condition.
The rest is dependent on your budget and what deals you can find.

·
Registered
135 Posts
New: chain, cassette, chainrings, cables/housing.
Used: pretty much everything else, depending on condition.
The rest is dependent on your budget and what deals you can find.
This is good advice.

My only other useful addition is this: patience saves $.
Example: I can any given day find a used Thomson post in the size, length, SB, and condition I want for $60-65. But if you are patient, you can usually score a BIN on eBay for about $40-50 in like new condition. 1/2 of new

I like Shimano PRO XCR Race stems. Most of the time they go for $60-80 and don't come up used often. Last one I got in the exact config I wanted for $19 shipped.

If you want to build up quick, plan to spend more. Having multiple bikes helps my situation.... but re-buying parts is expensive, so buy what you want the first time and be patient.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Do you have any friends or coworkers that you might be able to borrow spare parts out of their bins? Such as fit items like stems, bars, saddle etc? If not, purchase a cheap stem for $10 bucks off classifieds or auction. Same can be said for handlebars. Not sure if you rode any 29ers before you took a break. The general ride tall on the front end. It takes some tinkering to get your hands were you want them. Would suck to spend a lot of money on a nice carbon riser bar. Only to realize you need a flat bar to get your hands were you want them. Once you get your fit dialed in. Then you can spend more money on bling or lighter parts.

The two used forks I have purchased (came on used complete bikes). I ordered a seal kit as well. Rebuilt the fork and put fresh oil in them before ever even riding them. Most need service between 25 to 50 hours. No telling what the previous owner did (you can generally see wrench scares if the fork has been opened up). Same can be said for rear shocks. Might want to factor in seal kits, oil and rebuild into your budget if going used. If your not confident rebuilding suspension. You might want to buy new. Close out forks are everywhere, all the time. You'll get a warentee and know exactly where you stand.

Drivetrain, as mentioned you want new. There's deals everywhere for these items.

Just my opinion, but Fox is the most overhyped, over priced, hard to work on junk on the market. You general have to ship Fox forks back to them for service and rebuild. Costing you $100-200 bucks. Manitou , Marzochhi, Rock Shox you can download right off their website and rebuild yourself. Don't have any experience with X Fushion. You can also get them on sale for half the price of Fox. The last three years Fox has been plagued with problems, creaking crowns, forks shipped with liitle or no oil. Terrilogic scrapped. CTD performing terrible. The list goes on.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Ebay, JensonUSA, BlueSky, Pricepoint, and even Amazon are great sites to visit. Depending on your timeframe you could also rely on sites like ChainLove, SteepAndCheap, and theCLYMB for different components.

For new vs. used.. I think Shiggy hit it right on the head. Good luck finding a 429 out there.

·
assenting member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll keep an eye on Steep & Cheap and ChainLove.

I am going to expand my search beyond the Mach 429. For used bikes, I've been watching the classifieds here, PinkBike's BuySell and eBay. Is there anywhere else I should check out? The local Craigslist is filled with a bunch of dross, and for Portland Oregon being so "bikey", amazingly short on mountain bikes.

As far as Fox, that was the recommendation of the local shop who I'll likely be dealing with most. They said they were easier to work on. So I'll take your feedback under advisement.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
266 Posts
If your buying used, your not dealing with a shop. Most shops will give you a cold shoulder if you go in asking a bunch of questions. Then run off and purchase online. It's called "show rooming" and it's not cool.

·
assenting member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@Gumbi4Prez: Thanks for the reminder. The etiquette and ethics of shopping locally and online is something we should consider. I like my LBS, and want to support them. But if I bought new, it'd likely be a bike in the price range that comes with a stamped steel chainring. And they don't even carry those types of bikes.

So it is "show rooming" if I ask them questions and maybe even test ride a bike and then go buy the same bike from Jenson or Chain Reaction for a few bucks less? I'd call that being a d!ck and definitely not cool, but it may just be a difference in local terminology.

What about if I see a bike I like, but can't justify or afford to spend the coin and instead buy the same bike, but 2 year NOS from Steep & Cheap? Is there a name for that? Definitely seems like a grey area, and probably depends on intent.

What about trying different bikes at different shops to see what is available and what you like as you try to figure out what you will buy? Because I'd call that shopping. You may call it something else.

As far as in my case, I was planning on buying new until I saw what it would cost to get what I want and evaluated my spending priorities. This is a shop I have purchased from in the past. If I buy a used frame, I would purchase the new parts from them (see Shiggy's concise post above) and also pay them for a pro build. If I bought a used bike, then I would pay them to do the initial tune and any ongoing maintenance that was beyond my capability, especially if it was rebuilding a fork or shock. So, in my case, yes, I'd be working with a shop. Unless of course they give me the cold shoulder.

Cool or not, I don't know. I'm just trying to figure our how to get a bike without causing discord on the home-front.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
After a three year hiatus (marriage, baby, etc.) it is time for me to get back on a mountain bike and in the dirt. The $3.5-4K to get what I want is definitely a bridge too far considering I don't even have a mountain bike right now. I am hoping to buy and build up a used frame that I have been looking at, a 2011 Pivot Mach 429.

I am trying to keep the cost as low as practical.
- What should be new?
- What can be used?
- Where can I save some money?
- Where should I make sure to not skimp?

The only items I am fairly certain about are Shimano brakes and drivetrain (SLX?), and a 120mm Fox fork. Parts suggestions, places to buy and any other ideas are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
merlin has complete XT drivetrain groups for around $627 including brakes. That should be the foundation.

Chinese carbon wheels $500

Fork - get used, $200-400

Other assorted bits - $200 (used, bars, pedals, seat, seatpost, headset, stem)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts